Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 19 Feb 21, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
snowbelle
Imagineer

Remember if you hire or take a separate GPS it does take a little while to kick in at the car hire center
Take it nice and slow and as previously said get a feel of the car before you drive off , you will see loads of people jumping in the car and driving off dont let that concern you. Take your time
snowbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 21, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Mo&Chris
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bonny Scotland View Post
Was I the only one getting annoyed at his insistence that flashing amber traffic lights means there's a fire station nearby?

/Chris
Mo&Chris is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 06:27 AM  
Link to this Post
bilbous
Getting Excited

Found it easy enough to adapt to driving in Florida, first 10 minutes are a bit nervy but more down to driving an automatic for the first time ever
Worst thing for me was the 4 way stop although I only came across 2 of them.
bilbous is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another recommendation for Andy at DFCH. We’ve had to cancel 3 holidays so far & of all the different suppliers we used, Andy was the only one who was proactive. He contacted me, telling me not to pay the balance (until the last minute).
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 09:11 AM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
I find driving in the USA much easier than it is here.
Except for New York - never again 😱

I’m sure you’ll soon get used to it. As an earlier post said - do take your time at the airport, checking the controls before you leave. One solo trip, I set off in brilliant sunshine & then the heavens opened! I was in heavy traffic & couldn’t figure out the wiper settings so I had to drive holding the wiper stick. Not fun. Lol.
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

The only time driving in Florida is difficult is when you're knackered and have just got off a plane so take your time, get your route planned and the map actually downloaded onto your phone.

Use Google street view to pre-drive the route as some of the junctions/interchanges are a bit confusing, at least they are for my sleep-deprived over-caffeinated hyper-excited monkey brain.

If you're driving from Tampa, stop somewhere half way for a breath of fresh air and a drink and a snack for 5 mins.

After that I would say it's significantly easier than driving in the UK or on the Continent.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List