Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Apr 21, 02:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
What I dont get is they try to sue Aldi, but are happy with the Waitrose one, which looks more like the M&S one than aldi's does
Don't be fooled by the first post in this thread. Here's a comparison of the caterpillar cakes and the Aldi version looks much closer to the M&S one than Waitrose's. In fact the ALDI one looks almost identical. Same solid brown eyes, same pink tongue, same shaped legs, similar coloured chocolate buttons on top.

M&S Colin Caterpillar:

Aldi Cuthbert Caterpillar:

Waitrose Cecil Caterpillar:

ETA: Or, at least, I think those photos are correct. I've since seen the Aldi photo attributed to M&S. Different news outlets seem to be showing the same image for both M&S and Aldi, which is confusing. Even they don't seem to know which is which.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 02:30 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
What I dont get is they try to sue Aldi, but are happy with the Waitrose one, which looks more like the M&S one than aldi's does
I think the key issue is probably how similar it is and also cheaper in price.

Cecil (Waitrose) typically costs £7 which I believe is the same as Colin. Aldi's (Cuthbert) was about £4.99 if I remember correctly.
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 06:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Strangely of all my vices cake is probably the least of them. And I hate cutting into them when they are so beautiful or someone's face. Its not a problem with any cake I may make which, as everyone kindly says, taste better than they look.
Hey Sue, if you want to see 'can't cut into that' cakes, take a look at these outstanding sculptures by our Dublin friends dil... Sugar Ducky Cakes.

Mods, please note this is not advertising, thank you!

To whet your appitite, below are a few, and yes, they truly are cakes, check out photos of her other cakes... enough to make a caterpillar cake slink off and hide somewhere

Brian Cranston

Rolling Stones

Seymour

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea... cake!

Santa by Maria

Easter bunny, er, cat... who needs a bunny!

Minnie Mouse

Ethel the fairy - I love Ethel, hmm, I resemble her I be thinking!

Below was Maria's sugar skull, inspired by John S. Huerta's painting "Elizabeth", for the Sugar Skull Baker collaboration

Old 23 Apr 21, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hey Sue, if you want to see 'can't cut into that' cakes, take a look at these outstanding sculptures by our Dublin friends dil... Sugar Ducky Cakes.

To whet your appitite, below are a few, and yes, they truly are cakes, check out photos of her other cakes... enough to make a caterpillar cake slink off and hide somewhere

Brian Cranston

Rolling Stones

Seymour

Santa by Maria

Minnie Mouse

Below was Maria's sugar skull, inspired by John S. Huerta's painting "Elizabeth", for the Sugar Skull Baker collaboration

Wow absolutely amazing. Have you seen the handbag ones too?
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Don't be fooled by the first post in this thread. Here's a comparison of the caterpillar cakes and the Aldi version looks much closer to the M&S one than Waitrose's. In fact the ALDI one looks almost identical. Same solid brown eyes, same pink tongue, same shaped legs, similar coloured chocolate buttons on top.

M&S Colin Caterpillar:

Aldi Cuthbert Caterpillar:

Waitrose Cecil Caterpillar:

ETA: Or, at least, I think those photos are correct. I've since seen the Aldi photo attributed to M&S. Different news outlets seem to be showing the same image for both M&S and Aldi, which is confusing. Even they don't seem to know which is which.
Ah, I think you've got it! (By George )

It makes sense now. They are very similar - to the point that if I was somewhere and the Aldi one was served I might well have thought it was the M&S one --- and then if it didn't taste as good it could wrongly reflect on M&S.

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Brian Cranston

Rolling Stones

Seymour

Santa by Maria

Minnie Mouse

They are absolutely amazing! The detail and expression on the cats face is stunning. What a talented lady.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

Brian Cranston

Rolling Stones

Seymour

Santa by Maria

Minnie Mouse

She's very talented Chris

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 21, 09:12 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
They are absolutely amazing! The detail and expression on the cats face is stunning. What a talented lady.
Originally Posted by Mary A View Post
She's very talented Chris
I still struggle to see them as cake, if you looked at her photo's you'd see some that have been cut, my Ethel for example, and the cat, for the family to eat - the reason for the cats expression, utter disgust that he was dressed up as an Easter bunny. Wonder who cut up Brian Cranston There are also photo's of her building the cake up and then designing. Doubt I'm the only one who finds the 'Elizabeth' skull unnervingly realistic, those eyes and the neck. The cake with the lass leaning on her left hand and pink scarf around her head, look at the photo taken from behind and the rolls of sugar/chocolate/whatever that makes the hair look so realistically curly.

Whilst M&S are complaining about Aldi's copy of their caterpillar cake, I wonder would any supermarket copy unprotected works of art produced by the likes of Maria without much consideration.

I'm looking for the handbag cakes that Sue mentions - best of both for some women, bag and cake
Old 24 Apr 21, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I won’t be moved, team Colin all the way
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Apr 21, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Whilst M&S are complaining about Aldi's copy of their caterpillar cake, I wonder would any supermarket copy unprotected works of art produced by the likes of Maria without much consideration.
I'm no legal expert so I'm not sure whether this is correct or not but...

If a supermarket made an almost exact copy of a cake by Maria, then Maria would be able to take that supermarket to court due to copyright infringement. As long as she had clear evidence that she had designed and made it first herself and that it was her original work of art.

However, I doubt many supermarkets would copy the work of a small seller. It may also be difficult (and not financially viable) to copy some of this amazing work on a large scale. The reason that Aldi copies other supermarkets and big name companies is because of that brand recognition. You see what looks like a Colin the Caterpillar cake on the shelf which will lead many people - either the buyer or the people eating it - to think it is Colin the Caterpillar. People only mistake it for Colin the Caterpillar because they know of, and have seen/heard of, M&S's Colin.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 11:11 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List