Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 25 Jul 21, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Lots of good advice given already. For us a car is essential. Coast drive ,Yosemite, etc all are better with driving .
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 11:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We have done 8 road trips in California and have still not covered everything. Don’t underestimate the distances - especially Yosemite (it’s huge).

I would add Carmel into the mix rather than Monterey (very close to each other) - a lot more relaxing with a great beach but it depends on what you want from the holiday. The only part of California we don’t like is LA.

I would not go for less than two weeks. There is no comparison to Florida in my opinion - it is a vastly different type of holiday.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jul 21, 11:32 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

When someone tries to explain that WDW is vast compared to Alton Towers, well comparing California to the Orlando tourist area is another huge leap again in scale. 21 days if you can, you'll see a lot but really it still barely scratches the surface of what California and the nearby national parks have to offer.
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 09:03 PM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 05:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
We have done 8 road trips in California and have still not covered everything. Don’t underestimate the distances - especially Yosemite (it’s huge).

I would add Carmel into the mix rather than Monterey (very close to each other) - a lot more relaxing with a great beach but it depends on what you want from the holiday. The only part of California we don’t like is LA.

I would not go for less than two weeks. There is no comparison to Florida in my opinion - it is a vastly different type of holiday.
The only snag with Carmel, is that in a ‘cram it all in’ California vacation, it has neither the World Class aquarium or the iconic Cannery Row.. nor Whale watching trips?

Yes, Monterey can be very busy and Carmel is apparently less so and certainly pretty. Moss Landing is another location that many DIBBERS rate highly, being very slightly N of Monterey.

I guess it’s a case of what the threadstarter is looking for.

Same as you re LA. Next trip we are going to fly from S L Obispo to San Diego (and afterwards fly San Diego to Tucson as part of a California, Arizona, Nevada).
Direct flights for this October (both journeys) are currently at around £50 each with the bigger carriers and excluding Frontier, who are at £35. We will be hand baggage only.

So many great options. 😀

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 06:53 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The only snag with Carmel, is that in a ‘cram it all in’ California vacation, it has neither the World Class aquarium or the iconic Cannery Row.. nor Whale watching trips?

Yes, Monterey can be very busy and Carmel is apparently less so and certainly pretty. Moss Landing is another location that many DIBBERS rate highly, being very slightly N of Monterey.

I guess it’s a case of what the threadstarter is looking for.

Same as you re LA. Next trip we are going to fly from S L Obispo to San Diego (and afterwards fly San Diego to Tucson as part of a California, Arizona, Nevada).
Direct flights for this October (both journeys) are currently at around £50 each with the bigger carriers and excluding Frontier, who are at £35. We will be hand baggage only.

So many great options. 😀
You are probably right re Monterey/Carmel for a first visit but we just love Carmel and would rather travel the short distance into Monterey.

Hope your October trip goes ahead. Bargain flights (although don’t know how you manage with just hand luggage!)
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
You are probably right re Monterey/Carmel for a first visit but we just love Carmel and would rather travel the short distance into Monterey.

Hope your October trip goes ahead. Bargain flights (although don’t know how you manage with just hand luggage!)
We did a 3 weeker, Boston, NY, Dayton, Cincinnati, Orlando, Naples with four of us, hand baggage only.
We simply rely on the speed and efficiency of Hotel wash/dry facilities at breakfast time.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Thanks everyone! I’ll definitely sit and read through trip reports with a pen and paper once we’ve moved house this week!
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 12:11 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Very much depends on what you like and with it being a first visit I would treat it very cut as a recce so sun out for a following lovers visit . EG. I visited San Fran a lot in the 80s and 90s and those memories are very dear to me - it has changed and changed a lot so no real wish to return but if I did 2 days would be enough (the charm has gone for me) but LA albeit is marmite, I could easily spend 2 weeks there and not get bored and feel alive every day I was there (and unlike San Fran worry about stepping over drugged out vagrants at door of a 5* hotel as happened on my last 2 visits )

I worked a couple of projects out of San Diego - that place has changed a bit with conference hotels being built but it still holds a special place in my heart. Palm Springs is the same every visit - it most amazing place on the planet (for me) - mountains and snow for breakfast with sun by the pool for lunch and supper in an old style real California relaxed restaurant where Sinatra would sit or the Gabor sisters brunch. Each place I choose is for me and having visited California a great deal I fell very at home there
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

It does depend a lot on who is travelling. We don't have children/teens with us and hated Monterey. Couldn't wait to get out of the place and fell in love with Carmel the minute we turned onto the Main St. The restaurants, inns, shops, beach, art galleries, coffee shops and number of places that are independently owned with the owner on site are all major plusses for us and it would be on the list of dream places to retire to should we win the lotto. That being said if we had children with us we would be staying in Monterey as they would prefer the aquarium and Cannery Row over the more adult-oriented, ''boring'' to most kids, Carmel. I think there's quite a few such cases in CA where you have 2 adjacent places, one more adult-oriented and one more family oriented.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jul 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

The debate about Monterey Carmel is probably irrelevant. Over a 2/3 night stay you will see the joys of both as in real terms they run into each other. At 4 miles apart by the shortest route, although the longer drive round the coast is fantastic
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List