Old 2 Oct 21, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
This would be for Christmas Eve. I’m working Boxing Day and the Monday Tuesday
Then go out if you have to cook on Christmas Day too! Get a takeout in, we had a Chinese buffet when my aunt came to visit a few weeks back and it was lovely but they might be busy on Christmas Eve x
Old 2 Oct 21, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

My ex Mother in law used to descend on us every Christmas Eve as to her that was the day to celebrate as she’s Austrian. Usually I’d be working with an early ish finish so would be home by five.
No time for prep or proper cooking so it was always M&S stuff , some cold preprepared dishes and hot nibbles by the ton . It was so easy . Unwrap, bung on a baking tray , stick in the oven , stick on a plate , serve then repeat. I never cooked everything all at once but just popped into the kitchen to replenish as needed.
Pubs on Christmas Eve can be a bit chaotic and service is never that great as let’s face it who the heck *wants* to work Christmas Eve .
It really isn’t cooking but just heat and serve. So long as you read the instructions for each dish it’s foolproof (just avoid any that need you to faff with heating sauces etc seperately)

As for clearing up , festive paper plates are your friend !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A friend of mine always ordered Indian from Waitrose. She would collect it on Christmas eve and have all her family around boxing day for it. She had curries, rice, nan bread and a mix of snacks, she done it for years.
Just another idea. 😊
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Yes could possibly get a Chinese takeaway Christmas Eve but it doesn’t seem very Christmasy.
I usually do salmon for us but it went wrong last year
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 03:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks2014
Imagineer

Working in retail we either get a takeaway or go to the pub on Christmas Eve.
With you working a lot over Christmas your time is precious. i would consider giving yourself a bit of a break and go out. Put a party outfit on and enjoy the festivities.
If you want your guests to come back could always have a few nibbles .
Tinks2014 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 21, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Tigger71
Imagineer

Tigger71's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
With two children and a baby plus 8 adults I would do a buffet at home. With such a large group you will be sitting far from some people so might not get a chance to talk to everyone. A baby might be stressful as well.
I always do a Swedish buffet on Christmas Eve and find you can prepare a lot in advance or you get food bought in.

Order from M&S or other supermarket: Large ham in one piece or other cold cut meat, pigs in blankets, fancy sausage roll wreath (m&s have one), pork pie with cranberry on top, coleslaw, potato salad, you could also make some devilled eggs. Then cheese platter and some mince pies.

Or chinese or indian takeaway buffet as suggested. Serve something christmassy for dessert. Have crackers and festive paper plates.

If you do your own buffet - don't choose too many dishes that need heating - that just creates stress and leaves you watching the oven all the time.
Old 3 Oct 21, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
M&S is your friend! There's another thread running with buffet ideas on it too.
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1205102

edit - just realised it's your own thread
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984

Edited at 02:45 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List