Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Mar 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
It’s actually £3500 deductible. I’d misread it.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
OK. I checked the link Bev supplied and it's working now. When I checked at the time of my first post it wasn't. Mmm, that's not a good advert for a website.

The whole data is not geared to the US market, more like Europe.

For example:-

Road tax
Vehicle registration fee
Contract fee
Tourism levy
VAT (value added tax)

So already that's me gone.

No SLI as Mick says and huge deductible for the CDW (also know as EP or LDW)

So I selected a date and picked a small car - Nissan Versa at £292.23p. Then I clicked on the 'view' tab to progress the booking. That takes me to 'page not found'

Looks to me like a very amateurish website that gives me no confidence whatsoever and will leave the unwary driver grossly under insured and as Mick says have a bad bump and wave goodbye to your house.

Finally I checked out a review site where they are listed. Call me a cynic but everybody who rates them highly seems to put an exclamation mark after their comment. For example Happy! or Great!, some put Brilliant!

My final comment. Have a look at this 'about us' showing the Teams picture and their names and locations.

discovercars/uk/about-us

Mmm, now why would anybody have Druids in their Company picture?

In conclusion. I would rather at 66 years of age skateboard naked down the I4 than go under insured in America.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976

Edited at 03:40 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
tiggers friend
Imagineer

There is no record of this company at Companies House.

And this is extracted from their T&Cs.

SIA Discover Car Hire, with registration number in Latvia: 40103690968, and legal address: Jūrmala, Jaunā iela 35A, LV-2015, Latvia (hereinafter Company or “we”) offers this website and its services, subject to the following terms and conditions (hereinafter Terms and Conditions). Please read these Terms and Conditions carefully before using our website or any of our services. If you do not agree to any statement of these Terms and Conditions, you must not use this website or any services provided by the Company.
1991/92/95HI MGE;97Cali&Disneyland;98St Petes&Kiss;00C'water&Dixie Landings;02S'hern Dunes;05Coasts,Keys,Magic;06Indian Ridge;07Ind Ridge;08Sanibel&Ind Ridge;09Sarasota&Ind Ridge;10Sanibel&Ind Ridge;11Ind Ridge;12Sanibel&WestHaven;13W.Haven;14Sanibel&W.Ha ven;15Sanibel&W.Haven;15W.Haven;16Panhandle&Ashley Manor;16Loma Linda;17Sanibel&Loma Vista;18 Gulf Coast/StAg/W.Haven;19 Sanibel/Venice Bch/W.Haven
tiggers friend is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I think that the OP may have detected that there's not much support for the company or that the deal is right.

Rotherham

I make no excuses for suggesting that you try Andy at discountfloridacarhire/.

You'll at least know that the car is fully insured. As you should with any reputable UK broker.

Mick
Old 2 Mar 21, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
rotherham
Trying for More Ears

Thanks guys, I had my reservations but this has confirmed that I won't be using them!
rotherham is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Mar 21, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

Going back to the original question about if it is worthwhile, given where you are staying and as you say it is a family holiday, personally I would have a car for flexibility.

With kids, you don't want to be waiting for ages for a shuttle to turn up, especially if the kids are tired and you can't get a seat. Also, as you are staying in a Suites hotel, being able to get to a supermarket to stock up on drinks and breakfast stuff will quickly offset some of the costs of taking a car.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Sadly I've been unable, like most regulars, to post much in my favourite sub-forum lately but things seem to be picking up so who knows. I often post my thoughts on why we always hire but equally welcome posts saying exactly the opposite so here goes (copied and pasted from Word )

We are very far from being typical DIBB visitors now. Haven’t been to any parks since 2010 (although we certainly had our share in the years before that). We love the 47 square miles of Disney but now prefer to explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer. Also we’ve never stayed on site.

I should admit immediately to the fact that what I know about Uber or Lyft could be written in size 72 font on the back of a postage stamp. I’m also fully aware that dozens and maybe hundreds of Dibbers use them (and other taxi services, shuttles and public transport) completely successfully and would never dream of hiring a car. I would also add that, like maybe 90% of Dibbers who always hire a car, I totally agree that Uber/Lyft will work perfectly well and far more economical if you’re on-site and only want to make a couple of trips to the malls and Walmart.

However a typical day for us in a villa might be :-

Popping out for breakfast and returning to the villa for a couple of hours reading, sun bathing and swimming.

Around mid-day deciding we'd like to go to the Mall at Millennia for a bit of shopping but whilst we are there realising that we need something from Premium Outlets as well. Then we return to the villa for more chilling.

Early evening our thoughts turn to dinner at Longhorn Rolling Oaks but we think it would be nice to have a stroll round Disney Springs first and maybe then a game of golf at Winterland/Summerland before dinner. After dinner we realise that we need some stuff from the supermarket so we call at a Publix on the way home but sadly they don’t have what we want so we need to go home via Target as well.

Not forgetting spontaneous trips to AMI, Winter Garden, Bok Tower and Winter Park.

I just can't imagine how we'd do our travelling by using taxis or public transport. Quite simply we like to be in complete control of where in Florida’s 65,700 square miles we go and when we go, how long we stay and the ability to change our mind regularly. Apart from which we leave our mobiles on flight mode all holiday and would struggle to communicate with taxi services.

To be honest though we’ve been about 37 times, always hired a car and driven maybe 50,000 miles over there and we’ve never used taxis or public transport so we can’t really give an experienced opinion on the alternatives to car hire – only the reasons in our opinion as to why we always hire.

Others will have equally good and practical alternatives.

Mick
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
stevo25
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Sadly I've been unable, like most regulars, to post much in my favourite sub-forum lately but things seem to be picking up so who knows. I often post my thoughts on why we always hire but equally welcome posts saying exactly the opposite so here goes (copied and pasted from Word )

We are very far from being typical DIBB visitors now. Haven’t been to any parks since 2010 (although we certainly had our share in the years before that). We love the 47 square miles of Disney but now prefer to explore the other 65,700 square miles that Florida has to offer. Also we’ve never stayed on site.

I should admit immediately to the fact that what I know about Uber or Lyft could be written in size 72 font on the back of a postage stamp. I’m also fully aware that dozens and maybe hundreds of Dibbers use them (and other taxi services, shuttles and public transport) completely successfully and would never dream of hiring a car. I would also add that, like maybe 90% of Dibbers who always hire a car, I totally agree that Uber/Lyft will work perfectly well and far more economical if you’re on-site and only want to make a couple of trips to the malls and Walmart.

However a typical day for us in a villa might be :-

Popping out for breakfast and returning to the villa for a couple of hours reading, sun bathing and swimming.

Around mid-day deciding we'd like to go to the Mall at Millennia for a bit of shopping but whilst we are there realising that we need something from Premium Outlets as well. Then we return to the villa for more chilling.

Early evening our thoughts turn to dinner at Longhorn Rolling Oaks but we think it would be nice to have a stroll round Disney Springs first and maybe then a game of golf at Winterland/Summerland before dinner. After dinner we realise that we need some stuff from the supermarket so we call at a Publix on the way home but sadly they don’t have what we want so we need to go home via Target as well.

Not forgetting spontaneous trips to AMI, Winter Garden, Bok Tower and Winter Park.

I just can't imagine how we'd do our travelling by using taxis or public transport. Quite simply we like to be in complete control of where in Florida’s 65,700 square miles we go and when we go, how long we stay and the ability to change our mind regularly. Apart from which we leave our mobiles on flight mode all holiday and would struggle to communicate with taxi services.

To be honest though we’ve been about 37 times, always hired a car and driven maybe 50,000 miles over there and we’ve never used taxis or public transport so we can’t really give an experienced opinion on the alternatives to car hire – only the reasons in our opinion as to why we always hire.

Others will have equally good and practical alternatives.

Mick
Apart from the amount of times there this is us. I have used public transport and taxis at home, but prefer to run on my own timetable and wheels. Also for me hiring a car is part of the fun, and driving is easy, I know it's not for all, but i enjoy it.
Also there is another level of food etc at gas stations that you might have missed out on, Wawa is pretty good you know
stevo25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Mar 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by stevo25 View Post
Apart from the amount of times there this is us. I have used public transport and taxis at home, but prefer to run on my own timetable and wheels. Also for me hiring a car is part of the fun, and driving is easy, I know it's not for all, but i enjoy it.
Also there is another level of food etc at gas stations that you might have missed out on, Wawa is pretty good you know
We know Wawa well but not just for the food. The one at 192/Avalon is our local for gas and ATM. We are mainly cash people (there's another theme for a thread ) and their ATMs don't charge.

Mick