Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 7 Mar 21, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Uber/Lyft

So I never like to drive when I’m on holiday for a few reasons but partly because I don’t particularly enjoy driving (especially on the wrong side of the road) and look forward to enjoying a beer or two after walking the 10-15 or so miles in the parks.

This year (fingers crossed) will be our first year of using our DVC membership at SSR. I’ve been looking at food options and I suspect we will alternate between DS, take out and offsite restaurants like Crossroads etc.

Now looking on Uber, it seems the cost to crossroads with a car seat is like $17 because of the $10 surcharge. But I can’t see anything to tell you up to what age a child needs to be in one? Our son is 4.

If it’s going to cost me $35 total then either we will probably walk or just pay a bit extra and eat at DS as there seems no point otherwise.

Does anyone have any advice re car seats and ages children have to use them etc?
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
zoemoo
Apprentice Imagineer

zoemoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 13
I’m sure someone else will comment about car seats, but if you are looking at crossroads area restaurants the first thing to say is that crossroads as I understand it is now closed. Secondly have you considered walking? SSR to crossroads area is very safe to walk as there are footpaths all along the main road to get there... plus all of the hotels have restaurants that you might consider trying?
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
slightly serious Dibber

Well, we took a bubblebum with us (from Halfords). Its a blow up car seat with lower harnesses, and its folds really flat so i just kept it in the bottom of my backpack whenever we went out. Our son was 4 (nearly 5) at the time and pretty much every basic Lyft ride we got, DS just climbed in and sat like the rest of us.

I 'think' (and someone can correct me) that car seats are required for age 0-3 and a booster seat can be used for ages 4-5 . We had one Lyft guy get an actual booster seat out of his boot for DS, but that was the only time xx

PS: We only ever used basic Lyft unless for airport run for cases, all drivers were really friendly and even gave us talks on the current rocket launch that was going on etc, good prices too with discount counts, usually spend between $6-$10, obviously depending if you kept local x

Edited at 09:12 AM.
kitjos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Wishuponastar
Excited about Disney

I second the bubblegum. We bought one for our holiday when our DD was 5. They sell them on Amazon too.
Wishuponastar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by zoemoo View Post
I’m sure someone else will comment about car seats, but if you are looking at crossroads area restaurants the first thing to say is that crossroads as I understand it is now closed. Secondly have you considered walking? SSR to crossroads area is very safe to walk as there are footpaths all along the main road to get there... plus all of the hotels have restaurants that you might consider trying?
Absolutely considered walking, we just thought it might be a bit unsafe with our 4 y/o in case he runs off! If we take the push buggy though we may well do it.
JaguarSkills is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Mar 21, 09:31 AM  
Link to this Post
JaguarSkills
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
Well, we took a bubblebum with us (from Halfords). Its a blow up car seat with lower harnesses, and its folds really flat so i just kept it in the bottom of my backpack whenever we went out. Our son was 4 (nearly 5) at the time and pretty much every basic Lyft ride we got, DS just climbed in and sat like the rest of us.

I 'think' (and someone can correct me) that car seats are required for age 0-3 and a booster seat can be used for ages 4-5 . We had one Lyft guy get an actual booster seat out of his boot for DS, but that was the only time xx

PS: We only ever used basic Lyft unless for airport run for cases, all drivers were really friendly and even gave us talks on the current rocket launch that was going on etc, good prices too with discount counts, usually spend between $6-$10, obviously depending if you kept local x
I think this is what we have, just wanted to make sure we could actually use it aged 4 as its not that clear online.
Old 7 Mar 21, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Crossroads is not closed yet. There are plenty of nearby restaurants not in the actual Crossroads Plaza that won't be closing at all.