Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 28 Jul 21, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

What’s it like driving in the US?

Going to Disney next year.

My partner wants to get a hire car and has said he will mostly drive but he’s asking me to be named as a driver too so I can drive if needed (so he can occasionally have a drink on the evening).

I can drive and Iv been driving for over 10 years in the UK.

But… the thought of driving in another country that Iv never been to before doesn’t fill me with joy.

How different to the uk is it?
Ohanaa is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:04 PM  
Link to this Post
lesmcguffog
VIP Dibber

lesmcguffog's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Most cars are automatics so helps whilst working out your driving on the wrong side of the road.
If you haven’t driven an auto, do like I told by father in law when we were persuading him to buy one in the Uk, hire one for a day and try it out - it’s not difficult.

Biggest difference, is width of roads, cars passing both sides and speed limits in certain areas.

My wife’s not a happy driver, and would only drive around disney at first but now happy to drive most areas.
California; San Fran, Napa, Monteray,
Georgia; Savanah
lesmcguffog is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

My husbands says its easier than driving in the UK, however I wouldnt dare drive its like whacky races 😂 if you miss a turn off your snookered!
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa

Originally Posted by lesmcguffog View Post
Most cars are automatics so helps whilst working out your driving on the wrong side of the road.
If you haven’t driven an auto, do like I told by father in law when we were persuading him to buy one in the Uk, hire one for a day and try it out - it’s not difficult.

Biggest difference, is width of roads, cars passing both sides and speed limits in certain areas.

My wife’s not a happy driver, and would only drive around disney at first but now happy to drive most areas.
Thanks. I currently drive a automatic so at least I have that bit down lol
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Very easy to drive in the USA. Learn the rules on right turning. Beware turning left.
Keep to speeds. No slow or fast lanes.
Pay your tolls very easy.
Roads are wider parking spaces massive.
Remember to remember where you park as the car parks are massive.
I love driving in the USA much better than uk. You will love it.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
I love driving in the USA - have driven in various states. The first few times we went as a couple DH didn’t have his licence so I did all the driving. Nowadays we share it though I am quite happy to let him drive from the airport when we arrive as I am usually too tired to drive.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 07:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Ohanaa

Thanks. It doesn’t sound too bad then.
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:27 AM  
Link to this Post
grant_w
Imagineer

grant_w's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
First time was a bit daunting but you get used to it very quickly. Really helps to have an idea where you are going and where the turns are going to be so you can prepare to be in the correct lanes without panicking.
Few quirky rules to get to know (turning right on a red light, 4-way stops, leaving a clear lane around breakdown vehicles, school busses etc) but they can all be looked up before you go
grant_w is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

It's an individual thing - it's not easy for everyone.

It's pretty hard landing after 9hr flight, prob little sleep night before, getting in a car you have never driven before, all controls on different side, automatic, could be dark or even a storm (had that, which screwed my sat nav!), driving on other side, different road signs and road rules, and someone telling you you are too close to the curb... didi I mention hangry?!

You can prepare for most of that, take time before setting off getting to know the car (I have never spend as long as I should on that with excited impatient family in the car!). Sat Nav can be big help...and even with, research the route from airport to first man road, as sat nav might not kick in.

Once settled in, can be easy... and when we get back to Heathrow, I would not want to be a holiday maker arriving to the M25! But I find that easy... easy is prob donw to how quicly people adapt, and prep will help with that.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 21, 08:49 AM  
Link to this Post
levtweeney
Imagineer

levtweeney's Reviews
Keep aware, as I found that when you relax after say 6 or 7 days in to your holiday things can surprise you. Happened a few times with us. Everything going great, thought I knew all the rules then one day you just are so relaxed you forget and end up taking a wrong turn, or go down the wrong way or pull out when your not supposed to. I saw numerous bumps and worse so just keep your wits about you 👍