Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 10 Sep 21, 03:15 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Pity my 15 year old daughter learning to drive at the moment. Yes, it is only 15 for a learner's permit here and most kids are taught by their parents in the family car which is very likely to be an automatic. She can't get her full license until 16 and a full year's practice though. The on road test is a joke that lasts about 15 minutes so failures are pretty rare which might explain some of the driving you see here! No restrictions if you take it on an automatic either.

She has been driving around Celebration for weeks now without problems so she has just started braving 192 to drive all the way home.
Yesterday she was waiting to turn left at that flashing redlight on Disney property mentioned above (World Drive and Griffin Rd). There were a lot more oncoming cars than usual so she was being cautious but not overly so. The pickup behind decided she was too slow, passed her on the right and turned in front of her straight in front of a car approaching at 50+!

Today she indicated to move right into the middle lane on 192 when the car behind in the right lane moved over at the same time inches away from her bumper. I thought she had accidentally cut him off until I saw him do it again a minute later to someone else.

It is a good thing she is pretty confident! I keep telling her it is still better than learning on narrow British lanes in a manual. A big plus is that I don't have to pay extra on my car insurance until she has her full licence.

OP, there are plenty of crazy drivers here but far fewer aggressive ones than the UK in my experience. In general the driving really is easier even if you see alot of "OMG I can't believe what that driver just did" moments.
Old 14 Sep 21, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DanLees
Getting Excited

I have driven quite a lot in the US and Canada, lots ion rural areas and lots in cities.
In rural areas it's generally pretty easy but with the occasional "meeting a logging truck that's straddling both lanes on a corner" moments.

In cities it varies wildly depending of time of day. I have driven in NYC, Boston, Tampa, Vancouver and Orlando. I have found Orlando to be relatively easy compared to rush hour in Boston.

IMHO: It's worth using the Sat Nav or phone you use in the UK, whilst you're there if you can as you'll be used to it and it's commands and download the maps to your phone for offline use if using a phone.

As others have suggested the worst driving you'll do is when you get off the plane, tired and unfamiliar with everything. Defo do the Googlemaps trial run making note of any horrid bits on junctions.
DanLees is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List