Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 20 Oct 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I bet it gets huge viewing figures. I think many people are interested in seeing what he got up to and how he got away with it. He was a very intimidating man apparently. There are many series on abhorrent criminals- the Wests, Moors Murderers, serial killers etc. Mrs YT reads that many books about kids who were in abusive families etc, there’s hundreds of them, often written by the victims.
A very good book on Saville I read was ‘In Plain Sight- The Life and Lies of Jimmy Saville’. Well worth a read if you want to see how he managed to manipulate and intimidate people so he could basically do what he wanted. Very shocking as you can imagine although it doesn’t deal with really any abuse, just his methods. He even had the police in line. Saville even recounted a story in his own autobiography when he was running Cinderella Rockafella I think it was in Leeds in the 60s and a 14 year old girl went missing. The police called in to ask him to ring them if she went in the club. He said ‘I’ll bring her back in the morning’ or words to that effect. The police left satisfied- unbelievable it would happen and even more unbelievable Saville felt emboldened enough to admit it. As I say this is apparently in Saville’s own autobiography published in the 1980’s and no one batted an eyelid. Then again, this was in the times when Bill Wyman had a 14/15 year old girlfriend, and another well known US rock star was placing a young girl in his custody with her mother’s consent allegedly!
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
New BBC mini series coming soon…….

Gary Glitter - Do you wana be in my gang

Disney332
That one I never picked up on, but then rock stars and under age girls was seen differently back then going by some of the girls I went to school with!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
yeah i agree hence why i said im surprised its on the BBC

them & numerous others were complicit / silent

plenty of people called him out over the years , famously John Lydon who did on the BBC then got banned by them
The BBC should still be called to account on that. They refused to even acknowledge that the Sex Pistols got to no1 with ‘God Save The Queen’, not even naming the song, yet alone allowing them air time.

Rather ironic, given the marvellous loyalty and care that John has shown to his extremely ill wife over many years. Whilst they lauded Saville, they castigated John. Perhaps a full apology would be a start.

From Wiki.
Lydon has been married to Nora Forster, a publishing heiress from Germany, since 1979.He was the stepfather of Forster's daughter Ari Up. In 2000, Lydon and Nora became legal guardians of Ari's twin teenaged boys; as Lydon explained "[Ari] let them run free. They couldn't read, write or form proper sentences. One day Ari said she couldn't cope with them any more. I suggested they came to us because I wasn't having them abandoned. They gave us hell, but I loved having kids around. In 2010, they became guardians of Ari's third child, Wilton. Lydon and Forster primarily live in Venice, California where they have resided since the early 1980s, but keep a residence in London.
In 2018, Lydon revealed that Forster was in the mid-stages of Alzheimer's disease. In June 2020, Lydon said that he had become full-time carer for his wife as her condition has been deteriorating. "Nora has Alzheimer's... I am her full-time carer and I won't let anyone mess up with her. For me, the real person is still there. That person I love is still there every minute of every day and that is my life. It's unfortunate that she forgets things, well, don't we all? I suppose her condition is one of like a permanent hangover for her. It gets worse and worse, bits of the brain store less and less memory and then suddenly some bits completely vanish.” Lydon said experts were impressed with how she remembers him saying "a bit of love goes a long way" and that he has no intentions to put her in a care home despite the strain her illness has on both their lives.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:24 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
nolypops83
VIP Dibber

Perhaps his victims might find it cathartic to have their story told. Hopefully it will be done with great care and sensitivity given the subject matter.
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by nolypops83 View Post
Perhaps his victims might find it cathartic to have their story told. Hopefully it will be done with great care and sensitivity given the subject matter.
It’s the BBC. It will merely skip over its own complicity in this sorry state of affairs. They are in effect giving a prepared defence statement as regards their failures and without challenge.

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:38 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
The BBC should still be called to account on that. They refused to even acknowledge that the Sex Pistols got to no1 with ‘God Save The Queen’, not even naming the song, yet alone allowing them air time.

Rather ironic, given the marvellous loyalty and care that John has shown to his extremely ill wife over many years. Whilst they lauded Saville, they castigated John. Perhaps a full apology would be a start.

From Wiki.
Lydon has been married to Nora Forster, a publishing heiress from Germany, since 1979.He was the stepfather of Forster's daughter Ari Up. In 2000, Lydon and Nora became legal guardians of Ari's twin teenaged boys; as Lydon explained "[Ari] let them run free. They couldn't read, write or form proper sentences. One day Ari said she couldn't cope with them any more. I suggested they came to us because I wasn't having them abandoned. They gave us hell, but I loved having kids around. In 2010, they became guardians of Ari's third child, Wilton. Lydon and Forster primarily live in Venice, California where they have resided since the early 1980s, but keep a residence in London.
In 2018, Lydon revealed that Forster was in the mid-stages of Alzheimer's disease. In June 2020, Lydon said that he had become full-time carer for his wife as her condition has been deteriorating. "Nora has Alzheimer's... I am her full-time carer and I won't let anyone mess up with her. For me, the real person is still there. That person I love is still there every minute of every day and that is my life. It's unfortunate that she forgets things, well, don't we all? I suppose her condition is one of like a permanent hangover for her. It gets worse and worse, bits of the brain store less and less memory and then suddenly some bits completely vanish.” Lydon said experts were impressed with how she remembers him saying "a bit of love goes a long way" and that he has no intentions to put her in a care home despite the strain her illness has on both their lives.
Indeed Lydon has been castigated for some of commercial work but this is so he can keep caring for his wife (mother of slits vocalist Ari Up)
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
salmim
Imagineer

salmim's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post

From Wiki.
I've been a fan of John Lydon the man (not so much his music) for some time, proper bloke.
My wife has HATED Saville (really despised him) right from the time I met her in the 70s and he was a major star. She later pointed out to me what "Jonny Rotten" had said.
To me it's a creep playing the despicable and shouldn't have been made.
salmim is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Oct 21, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by salmim View Post
I've been a fan of John Lydon the man (not so much his music) for some time, proper bloke.
My wife has HATED Saville (really despised him) right from the time I met her in the 70s and he was a major star. She later pointed out to me what "Jonny Rotten" had said.
To me it's a creep playing the despicable and shouldn't have been made.
For me, Never mind the ….. llocks is one of the very greatest albums ever made.
Holidays in the sun
God save the Queen
Anarchy in the UK
Pretty vacant….. absolutely awesome!

I put it right there with Rumours, Tango in the night, Born to run and Hotel California.

Old 20 Oct 21, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
sparrow
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I saw Jimmy various times as a kid. Not too close luckily. Always remember when we passed him in the car when he was out jogging and he smiled and he was waving at me and my brother (shudder!)
I was just saying today how when he first died he was thought of as a hero charity raiser with his coffin on display at a Leeds hotel- thousands filed past to pay their respects. Quickly the truth came out though, although anyone who knew him had an idea, or if you’d watched the Louis Theroux on him.
He was a very intimidating man apparently.
I have that memory as well. He ran passed and waved at me and my friend in Dorset once while we were alone in the back of a friends car.
Old 20 Oct 21, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I'm a big Partridge fan and that means I'm always interested to see Coogan trying to get away from a character that was so much him and that he will never better.

I think he did an OK job in the Stephen Lawrence drama and I think he'll probably be okay in this as well.

I hope that if he has to carry any heavy bags that they don't cut into his fingers too much.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List