Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Ever After Holidays
Unread 9 Oct 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

The biting will stop as he gets older, never to young to start training him, this could be as simple as leaving him alone in a room for a few mins then building it up. Play the nice game when out a walk if he gets scared of say a lorry just say nice to him so he knows there is nothing to be scared of. Start introducing the one two three game also, which is having a little bit of chicken as a treat and as you are out walking go 1.2.3 then treat then 1. 2. 3 then treat, space the 1 2 3 out before he gets the treat, this helps them to keep looking up to you when walking. Have you tried a crate where he can go while you get other stuff done. He looks super cute btw. Oh and puppy classes as others have said are a great way to train and bond.

Edited at 07:37 PM.
Labboy is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

sorry, but the poor mite is a baby, just a baby...
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Tenerife, Norfolk with Kids an
Unread 9 Oct 19, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nicksgirl View Post
sorry, but the poor mite is a baby, just a baby...
Oh I know...he is adorable, and just a puppy. I am not putting any pressure on him as I know his behaviour is perfectly normal. I underestimated how demanding a puppy was. We are focusing on positive play, rewards and lots of love and attention.
Unread 9 Oct 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lou1982
VIP Dibber

Lou1982's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 22
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
Oh I know...he is adorable, and just a puppy. I am not putting any pressure on him as I know his behaviour is perfectly normal. I underestimated how demanding a puppy was. We are focusing on positive play, rewards and lots of love and attention.
Youre doing brilliantly, dont doubt yourself. Ive had 2 dogs from puppies (second one is now almost 2) and I felt exactly the same as you, to be honest I think of you asked most new puppy owners in the first six weeks a lot would say they felt they had made a mistake by getting a pup, or at the very least had seriously underestimated how hard it would be.
Lou1982 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BC and RPR! Whoop!
Unread 9 Oct 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
Mobile

Felt exactly as you have, we have had 4 puppies since being married. It does get easier, promise. Your pup is super cute!
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Oct 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks so much for all the supportive comments. Its reassuring to know that others have found it tough at times.
Unread 9 Oct 19, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Apprentice Imagineer

dreamadream's Reviews
What you describe is totally normal behaviour. It is exhausting and sometimes never ending stress where I questioned the decision (still sometimes if I am honest!) I would even say I had post puppy depression at some point and dreaded coming home knowing there would be puppy mess everywhere to deal with. And the constant chewing anything and ruining everything.
You need to remain firm and constant. Each time he nips he gets a sharp No or Ouch. And put to one side. Nothing a dog hates more than being excluded from his pack. He will learn. Everyone has to do the same so he knows the pack is strong. We Had an issue with our daughter being too soft and our puppy would always go for her ankles! She had to toughen up! We made sure he knew she was his leader by her feeding him. She would make him wait until she was ready. Often mid way through she would take it away for a minute at a time. It let him know she was in charge! Worked a treat.
4 years on I cant imagine life without him, hes our world. But doesnt mean he is now totally easy. He is a westie so very vocal and incredibly intelligent. But over all he has settled well.
Hang in there, they grow sooooo quickly x

Edited at 09:30 PM.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
1st family Floriday
Unread 9 Oct 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs dee
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Th1nkT1nk View Post
I sympathise massively... we got our puppy 10 days before Christmas last year (what were we thinking?! Lol) and I have to say that I found it incredibly challenging! I shed a few stress tears to be honest - trying to keep a constant eye on him, whilst also going about daily chores and dealing with dd was really tough and I felt so much pressure to get it right! Please be reassured that it gets a lot better quite quickly. Id agree with other posters that puppy training classes work really well... establishing basics in a positive way also helps you to bond with your little one! My puppy is 11 months now and I find it much easier to know how to occupy him - stay positive... it does get easier and its normal to find it tough!

ETA .. just seen the photo - what a gorgeous pup! Love him! We have a cavapoo ... poodle mix are often bright dogs (so Im told) ... our Benji certainly is- which is great for quick results with the training but also has its challenges! 🙈🐶
Aw do you have a photo ? We have been toying with the idea of a cavapoo
And too many canary/Balearic island visits to list
Mrs dee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Atlantis Dubai