Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 3 Feb 20, 10:59 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
In fairness the plot was a bit thin and moved very quick- I think they may have improved it by concentrating on one event rather than 3 (or was there 4?) in an hour episode .

Call the Midwife written by Gimme Gimme Gimme writer J Harvey was better !
My woke point is that I believe the BBC now seem to promote and preach to us via their programmes more than ever now. Dr Who was so much simpler in the 60’s and 70’s imo
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
Well, I've given up - turned it off as it's turning into another eco lecture about waste plastic.
I knew the microplastic stuff was going to push some people's buttons.

I can see someone had a half decent idea (aliens being attacked by a virus on their planet decide to use the Earth as a testing lab to find a cure) and then they decided to throw in other random stuff. Someone thought it would be a good idea to make it eco-topical by adding something about microplastics. Someone else thought it would be cool if they made it seem more global by having 3 different locations around the world. And someone else was a big fan of Hitchcock's The Birds. It just made this story a mess.

I think I got distracted part way through. What had plastic got to do with anything? Why were the same flock of birds attacking them and what was controlling those birds? Why did the aliens take the astronaut to Hong Kong? What was the bit in Peru all about and why was the woman infected with the virus taken to an abandoned hospital? Why was there an abandoned hospital? Considering the cure only works on humans and not aliens, will it help save the birds and other animals on Earth from the virus?

I felt it was a mess and the addition of lecture about plastic waste didn't help.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Feb 20, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
My woke point is that I believe the BBC now seem to promote and preach to us via their programmes more than ever now. Dr Who was so much simpler in the 60’s and 70’s imo
Doctor Who - and sci-fi in general - has always promoted and preached to us. However, usually it does so more subtly.

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
I just caught the kissing astronaut ... not sure if it added anything to the plot (as I only got a 10 second exposure) ... still looks like Dr Woke to me!
That part - the kissing couple - was actually one of the bits that made sense and fitted the story. Admittedly, it was a bit of a cliche - married couple have split up because of differences, one of them gets into trouble, the other comes to rescue them, they face a threat together, one of them almost dies but is saved by the other, they reconcile and make up (with a kiss). But it was reasonably well handled.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
That was better. Not as good as the Vincent van Gogh episode, though that was helped by the fact that we didn't feel the need to have an Issue Of The Week back then. However, the preachiness was dialled down a bit and some characters were allowed a bit more depth and backstory. Nicely old-school baddies too. I'm a sucker for a bad guy with a RADA accent.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 20, 10:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
I was a bit confused at the end when it asked if I had been affected by any of the issues from tonight’s programme - what - like time travel, or aliens in my nightmares ... ?

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 20, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
That was better. Not as good as the Vincent van Gogh episode, though that was helped by the fact that we didn't feel the need to have an Issue Of The Week back then. However, the preachiness was dialled down a bit and some characters were allowed a bit more depth and backstory. Nicely old-school baddies too. I'm a sucker for a bad guy with a RADA accent.
It was better. Although I didn't much care for the way the baddies were disposed off - it all seemed too quick and easy. Also, it was a bit sort of preachy in the last 10 minutes with each of the companions having, or knowing someone who has, issues.

And who the heck came up with the idea of the bad guys fingers detaching from his hand and sticking into people's ears? I mean, that was weird. I can only assume it was someone's idea of a metaphor for sticking your fingers into your ears and ignoring people (in this case, ignoring people's mental health). Or something?

One thing I've come to realise - I miss Murray Gold and his bombastic orchestral background music.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 10 Feb 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Overall I enjoyed it - felt at times it was a little slow and dragged and wanted it kick start it but overall it contained all the elements of a good episode (and even scared me a little !)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Well, that was better. Spooky and weird, plus it furthered the ongoing plot.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
It wasn’t bad - but, oooh, should she have listened to Captain Jack ... ?

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 20, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vanlou View Post
It wasn’t bad - but, oooh, should she have listened to Captain Jack ... ?
It wasn’t bad but it certainly wasn’t good either - too much crammed into an hour but yes was hoping Capt Jack might pop up to say “told you so ... ”
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List