Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Feb 20, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyfreaks
Imagineer

These scams annoy me soooo much, I wish Mike from Microsoft would call me again - I have all my passwords & personal information ready to give him access ! 😡😡
Disneyfreaks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 12:35 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I had a scummy scam call to renew my Amazon Prime last week - from an automated voice call - ermmm... no...

Also another automated voice call telling me there had been a suspicious withdrawal of £600 on my "bank account credit card" ... ermmmm... no...

My MIL got so het up about the £600 one that she also got that she went straight to see the bank about it. 82 year old with mobility issues so worried sick that someone had taken all the money from her account, that she forced herself to go see the bank about a bloomin scammer. Luckily she is in a village that still has an actual bank.

They annoy people like me - used to life in the modern digital era, switched on enough to know instantly that it is a scam. But they endanger people like MIL, how DARE they frighten an old lady half to death.
Buy her a BT call guardian phone. Stops these calls dead.

Edited at 11:43 AM.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 01:04 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Buy her a BA call guardian phone. Stops these calls dead.
Is it a BT phone or a setting through BT that is paid for monthly via BT?
My mum is being bombarded by these lowlife and she then phones me to ask if Amazon or Microsoft have phone me
As much as she insists she hasn't pressed 1 or anything else - I need to find something that is aging parent proof

This sounds a good solution.

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post
My mum is being bombarded by these lowlife and she then phones me to ask if Amazon or Microsoft have phone me
As much as she insists she hasn't pressed 1 or anything else - I need to find something that is aging parent proof

Just a handset. Argos, Amazon etc sell them.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by walt4it View Post

Sorry it should have read BT Call Guardian. ( calling it BA comes from posting on a travel forum😀 )
It’s a phone, no monthly charge. It works with all providers ( BT, SKY etc )
Basically it will reject these calls, or it will ask them who they are, then the phone rings and you get a message, then you can decide whether to accept. All call to the phone go this way, so the first time you call her it will ask who you are, the phone will then tell her you are calling, and she will press 1 to accept once, press 2 to accept every call from your number, or reject call.
It may take a little bit of setting up help from you, but once done it’s easy to use.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

The BT call guardian phone is amazing, I can highly recommend it.

We have had our BT phone for years now, we have never had a nuisance call since we've had this phone. We also got one for the in-laws, they almost got caught out by one of these phone scams.

You have to spend a bit of time setting the phone up, you have to "allow" all the numbers that regularly call you, if you don't the caller has to announce themselves in order to get through. As you can imagine, none of the cold callers ever bother to announce themselves.

It's a great phone, I've had 11 calls in the last few days, which I haven't had to bother dealing with.
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:37 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This has appeared on my Facebook page.

My poor dad has been scammed out of all of his savings. He received a phone call from “Amazon” claiming he had been fraudulently charged for an Amazon prime account he hasn’t got. They convinced him to download an app which gave them remote access to remove spyware from his phone. This allowed them to see everything he did on his phone. He was then instructed to access his bank to check for the refund they had sent him. They then wiped out that account 😡They must’ve been convincing because my dad is not the type to fall for this type of thing. He’s gutted and feeling very foolish. Unlikely he’ll get his money back 😡 warn your parents and family members of this scam, they’re making so much money targeting pensioners who are trying to protect what bit they have - ABSOLUTE ≈≈≈≈≈≈≈S 😡
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Ohhh I got a call this morning from Amazon just like that one Sue, I thought right away it was a scam and when told to press 1 to speak to an agent I hung up and emailed Amazon who told me my account was secure and that it was a scam call. So easy to be taken in by them though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
walt4it
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Originally Posted by Anne View Post
Just a handset. Argos, Amazon etc sell them.

Thank you Anne

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
Sorry it should have read BT Call Guardian. ( calling it BA comes from posting on a travel forum😀 )
It’s a phone, no monthly charge. It works with all providers ( BT, SKY etc )
Basically it will reject these calls, or it will ask them who they are, then the phone rings and you get a message, then you can decide whether to accept. All call to the phone go this way, so the first time you call her it will ask who you are, the phone will then tell her you are calling, and she will press 1 to accept once, press 2 to accept every call from your number, or reject call.
It may take a little bit of setting up help from you, but once done it’s easy to use.
Thanks for that - I knew it should have read BT - will get onto it as I think she needs something like this to protect her from her own lack of confidence in dealing with these people. It is bad enough getting so many spam emails but these phone calls are highly intrusive and I'm glad you suggested a way I can help her

Going out in a Blaze of Glory- Our Summer of Sorcery 2019 - COMPLETE! 4 Weeks, from The Yacht Club for 10 nights onto much more Florida fun too

All of our previous Trip reports and escapades can be read here.
walt4it is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Feb 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
DISNEYLIZ
Imagineer

Now I need loft insulation - told them that I didn't have a loft.
DISNEYLIZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List