Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Feb 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Wismgari
Imagineer

I am hoping it is just a crane/ scaffolding and it is not hidden away completely... If I didn't have flights booked I would cancel, because that is how important the castle is to me (and the mess Epcot is in atm). But sadly, not a lot I can do about it now and I will just have to make the best of it... at least Hollywood studios won't be a construction site like last time I went I guess!

I do really feel for people taking their one and only trip - I am very lucky that I have seen the castle before, and to me it is just everything Disney and always makes me cry. Hopefully they will do the work with as minimal impact as possible for these people.
Wismgari is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

I have to say I had a little tinge of disappointment when I read about this yesterday. I did even ask the Wife if she wanted to postpone for a year to which I got the expected reply... er NO.
I also hope it won't be fully behind scrim but if it is then so be it. I would be more gutted if there were a load of ride refurbishments going on (which appears good for this summer).

It really is a first world problem and I can't see this being a deal breaker for many. I do agree that I would be a bit miffed if I had booked a theme park view room and the castle is under scrim. However, if this is a really a big priority for some then I fully understand why they would postpone... once we actually know how they are going to do it and what effect it will have anyway.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
TJCCFC17
I want to go now!

Hey everyone! I’m seeing a few contrasting opinions regarding whether scrim will be up covering the whole castle or if it will just be cranes/scaffolding. Has anyone heard/read anything concrete please? (construction pun intended)

I’ll be arriving in mid-August with my fiancée and it’s her first visit….so trying to prepare for what we’ll be facing!
TJCCFC17 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Wismgari View Post
I am hoping it is just a crane/ scaffolding and it is not hidden away completely... If I didn't have flights booked I would cancel, because that is how important the castle is to me (and the mess Epcot is in atm). But sadly, not a lot I can do about it now and I will just have to make the best of it... at least Hollywood studios won't be a construction site like last time I went I guess!

I do really feel for people taking their one and only trip - I am very lucky that I have seen the castle before, and to me it is just everything Disney and always makes me cry. Hopefully they will do the work with as minimal impact as possible for these people.
Yes I must admit, the reality for me is that it DOES matter to me... it’s an emotional thing - it’s obviously not the end of the world and I know we’ll still have a wonderful time but I think seeing images of what’s going on with the castle in Tokyo is the big fear - when you’ve saved very hard and made certain sacrifices to be able to go in the first place, it’s understandable that people are upset if it’s not going to be how they thought... when dd asked me what I was looking forward to most about our trip, my answer was “walking up Main Street together and seeing the castle at the end of it”. That’s said, I won’t mind a few cranes etc so much, I just hate the thought of it being completely blocked. Hopefully this won’t be the case 🤞🏼
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TJCCFC17 View Post
Hey everyone! I’m seeing a few contrasting opinions regarding whether scrim will be up covering the whole castle or if it will just be cranes/scaffolding. Has anyone heard/read anything concrete please? (construction pun intended)

I’ll be arriving in mid-August with my fiancée and it’s her first visit….so trying to prepare for what we’ll be facing!
We have no idea at the moment - I read around a lot last night and no one really knows...

We know the nighttime show is carrying on so that probably discounts substantial boarding but not scaffolding as they could still do projections with scaffolding.

I don't see how they would do it without at least scaffolding give the height of the thing ?

All in all it was a big straw (dining plan system issues / epcot under development / castle under development / new rides coming in 2021) that broke the camels back and I have decided to put it off until next year but it may well not be all that bad in the end... but no one knows right now and I wonder how much info we will get?
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:06 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

I maybe repeating what others have said so sorry.
1) I really didn't like the castle dressed up as a cake - my opinion. Thankfully when I went back again it was "naked"

2) from a vlog I saw last night the castle will be trimmed in gold and I like it (personal opinion) and I dont think it will interfere with projection mapping BUT obviously dont know how much disruption there would be during the "enhancement process"
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Will_H
Excited about Disney

i think Disney need to be clear on what they are planning on doing in regards to scrim / cranes ect

for me this is a big deal and clarity is needed from Disney so we all can stop the speculating and understand what is actually going to be affected and to what extent.

there are already reports/images on the moat being blocked off as of this morning on wdwnt.com
Will_H is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Julie
Proud to wear my Ears

I wonder how many wedding packages will be cancelled by disappointed couples who have paid thousands and thousands to use the wedding pavilion with the castle views.
Disney Julie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Disney Julie View Post
I wonder how many wedding packages will be cancelled by disappointed couples who have paid thousands and thousands to use the wedding pavilion with the castle views.
That’s a very good point! You’d really think they should notify sooner about such works really.
Old 18 Feb 20, 02:30 PM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

So they are going to drain the water so they can put up the scaffolding etc...

wdwnt/2020/02/photos-moa...magic-kingdom/

These barriers will eventually help keep water out as parts of the moat are drained ahead of scaffolding, painting, and more work in the area.
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread