Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Oct 19, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Anyone have advice for a baby's sleep pattern.

Our granddaughter is 7 weeks old today and seems to have day and night mixed up.
She sleeps all day and then is either awake from around 7.30-8pm until between 3 and 5 am or very unsettled.
When she does drop off in the early hours she will sleep until lunchtime and my daughter in law has to wake her up.
She's feeding well and gaining weight as she should be and the health visitor said it's something she'll grow out of eventually.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever had this and if so any advice I can pass on.
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlando Soon
Imagineer

7 weeks is very early to establish a good sleep routine, although not impossible. Our first DS did get into a pattern at that time but next child didn’t. They are all different but the health visitors I work with would say just go with the baby at this age.
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
No real advice as my first did this , it drained me completely . All I tried was a routine , so bath at the same time , woke up for feeding rather than wait to feed on demand , sleeping bag and put down at the same time each night in a blacked out room . It’s real hard work out paid off after about 2 weeks . I feel for them x
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
No real advice as my first did this , it drained me completely . All I tried was a routine , so bath at the same time , woke up for feeding rather than wait to feed on demand , sleeping bag and put down at the same time each night in a blacked out room . It’s real hard work out paid off after about 2 weeks . I feel for them x
Thank you I'll pass this on.
DDIL does say the only thing that wakes her is a bath and nappy change.
Fortunately as its their first child DDIL is able to sleep in for a few hours and she staying downstairs until the early hours so DS can get some sleep which I don't think will help.
She also worried about the baby waking the neighbours up as the walls as so thin.
Old 27 Oct 19, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Macca04
Imagineer

Mobile

My son and daughter in law have just been through this with my grandson, unfortunately for them it lasted 6 months, he is now 8 months and the last 6 weeks he has settled in a routine and sleeps quite well. They tried everything but he just seemed to sort himself out in the end.

It’s really tiring when they’re not in a good sleep pattern.
Macca04 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
whlparkstone
Imagineer

Mobile

No advice really as I would say it’s still early days. Maybe try not to make the room too dark during the day, so eventually baby will notice a difference between day naps and night sleep.

It’s so hard, but at this early stage I would say just try to sleep when baby sleeps
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by Macca04 View Post
My son and daughter in law have just been through this with my grandson, unfortunately for them it lasted 6 months, he is now 8 months and the last 6 weeks he has settled in a routine and sleeps quite well. They tried everything but he just seemed to sort himself out in the end.

It’s really tiring when they’re not in a good sleep pattern.
Good to hear your grandson has now settled and I think this is most likely what will happen with our granddaughter.
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by Orlando Soon View Post
7 weeks is very early to establish a good sleep routine, although not impossible. Our first DS did get into a pattern at that time but next child didn’t. They are all different but the health visitors I work with would say just go with the baby at this age.
Yes I think you're right 3 of mine were in a pretty good sleep pattern by 3/4 months but 1 took around 6 months to settle, he just cried constantly day and night.
I think DDIL is worrying that this is going to be a permenant thing.
Old 27 Oct 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by whlparkstone View Post
No advice really as I would say it’s still early days. Maybe try not to make the room too dark during the day, so eventually baby will notice a difference between day naps and night sleep.

It’s so hard, but at this early stage I would say just try to sleep when baby sleeps
That's been my advice to DDIL so far sleep when the baby does and told DS to try and sleep a bit in the evening
Old 27 Oct 19, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
jndt
Imagineer

Hopefully the clock change will working their favour.

I always took my 3 to bed at 11 - midnight when they were small and they slept until 4 ish so I felt I was only getting up once. Once they were sleeping until 6am I gradually brought bedtime back half hour a week until they were sleeping 9-6/7. It worked for us.

Could they try bath time at midnight and very slowly move things back over months to a time that they are happy with? The baby is going to need a long time to change the pattern she's in and mum and dad aren't going to get her in bed at 8pm for months. Midnight may seem late but if she's not normally sleeping until 3am then 1am won't be to bad (especially with the clock change). Good luck to them and remember to go slowly.
jndt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List