Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 22 Jan 20, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Lunch at Wave or Grand Floridian Cafe?

Hi all

Looking for thoughts on whether to go for lunch at Wave in the Contemporary or GFC. We are planning to be at MK all day but would like to break it up with a table service late lunch, and none of the places in MK really appeal. I figure the monorail will make it easy to get to either of the above. We have DDP.

If you’ve eaten at once or both, what do you think?
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
outofdate
Excited about Disney

outofdate's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I really like them both! But I think if I was going for lunch I would probably choose GFC. It’s so light and airy, seems like a good place to cool off in the middle of the day. You take the friendship boat over, or use the monorail and it would be a lovely way to break up the day. Love the wave too, but personally feel it is more of an evening place, as it does not have any windows. But you could walk there, which might be better (or worse!) for you.
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by outofdate View Post
I really like them both! But I think if I was going for lunch I would probably choose GFC. It’s so light and airy, seems like a good place to cool off in the middle of the day. You take the friendship boat over, or use the monorail and it would be a lovely way to break up the day. Love the wave too, but personally feel it is more of an evening place, as it does not have any windows. But you could walk there, which might be better (or worse!) for you.
Thanks, that helps. Good to know re the windows. And I had forgotten we could walk to the Contemporary, even though we did it last time!
Wordsworth is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 04:55 AM  
Link to this Post

I have only had breakfast at the Wave, we did a la carte not the buffet. It was distinctly average, I’d give it another go if I was staying at the Contemporary but I wouldn’t make a special trip over. I have been to GFC twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Better service, setting and food, it would definitely be my pick of the two.

The Wave
Grand Floridian Cafe
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Wigan Lass
Imagineer

It would be the Wave for me.

The food (and service) was absolutely a class above GFC. Signature quality
Yacht Club October 2017
Contemporary October 2019
Wigan Lass is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have only had breakfast at the Wave, we did a la carte not the buffet. It was distinctly average, I’d give it another go if I was staying at the Contemporary but I wouldn’t make a special trip over. I have been to GFC twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Better service, setting and food, it would definitely be my pick of the two.

The Wave
Grand Floridian Cafe
Originally Posted by Wigan Lass View Post
It would be the Wave for me.

The food (and service) was absolutely a class above GFC. Signature quality
Thanks both! Split decision so far.
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

We had lunch at both and loved both - sorry!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Wordsworth
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We had lunch at both and loved both - sorry!
Hahaha I had no idea this was such a tricky question!
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
MikeH23
Very Serious Dibber

MikeH23's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have also eaten at both several times but we would also pick GFC especially for lunch. Although we have always enjoyed the Wave we preferred the menu, location & just the whole resort over the Wave & arriving by boat just tops it for us.
MikeH23 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cupcake33
Excited about Disney

I had the same dilemma and have chosen the Grand Floridan cafe. I really fancy a nose around the hotel so seems a good opportunity to go.
Cupcake33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List