Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 18 Mar 18, 03:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Danielle87
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile Don’t no where to start New York? Help please.

We have never been to New York and are really thinking about booking. We think this is going to be our last Florida trip we are going on for a while as the cost is just getting out of hand. So we have decide on New York but the problem is I don’t no where to start like the time of year to go, or how long for or do you book at package holiday or just your flights and sort hotel when you get there. Any information would be great thank you.
Danielle87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
happytraveller
Imagineer

I've never booked a package to NY but having said that, keep an eye on BA holidays when they have their sales on! Sometimes they can have some great prices that cannot be beaten DIY. With regards to when to go, that's a personal choice. I don't do cold so would never go in the winter. I did go in March once-never again! I've been once In August and once in May and the weather was lovely. I have stayed in the Holiday inn Madison square gardens, New Jersey and Radio City apartments in times square (once was enough in that place) New Jersey was my favorite and took 40 minutes to get into the Port Authority station on times square. Madison Square gardens was also nice and was easy to get to by train from JFK. Primera air or something had great fares a week ago for NY.
happytraveller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

We went in Feb 2016, we booked it as a flight and hotel package through BA in their Christmas/January sale, worked out cheaper that way. Feb was a good time to go for a first visit as it was very quiet tourist wise so we didnt need to prebook - but it was very cold.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
sunnysandra
Very Serious Dibber

Following this thread we are planning a trip this sept/October it's our first visit to NY .
sunnysandra is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Toolman
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We are looking to go next March for my dad's 80th. My brother lives in new zealand so will fly to new york to meet up with us. I was also wondering about booking everything seperately but have been looking at sites like Travelbag too.
Mrs Toolman is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 06:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sueandco
Imagineer

sueandco's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4
We have been at the end of August (far too hot), end of September (lovely) and November which was good but we needed coats. Personally I would avoid summer and Jan/Feb. We stayed at a lovely hotel between Times Square and Penn Station which had breakfast included as well as a kitchenette in each room which was perfect for storing wine, beer etc... We have flown in to JFK (good) and EWR (not good) and out of JFK every time. We have flown Virgin PE (good), BA WT+ (not good) and BA First (excellent). If you have any more specific questions please ask.
Old 18 Mar 18, 06:29 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We booked through Virgin in the end as I found it easier to have everything under one roof. We stayed on the upper east side.

It’s the best place I’ve ever been, I’d go back tomorrow if I could. Absolutely loved it.

I think the best place to start is by making a list of places you’d like to visit and go from there. It takes quite a bit of planning as everything can be quite far away so we planned our days based on location.
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Tagging along too! We are looking to go first time next feb, we know its going to be very cold, doing 4 nights NY, 15 nights orlando to warm up the old bones afterwards! Got hotels booked - just waiting on flights to be released. Thinking of going with Explorer pass. DH wants to go ice skating in central park, doing SOL, 9/11, ESB and usual tourist stuff! Going to try to fit in visit to Intrepid and Ocean Odyssey and DD wants to go to American Girl store.
Old 18 Mar 18, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
familybell
Apprentice Imagineer

I've recently booked NYC for October, I just kept an eye on flights with skyscanner then when I found decent priced flights i packaged this with Expedia, I believe BA holidays are good but unfortunately didn't work out for us as they don't offer direct flights from Scotland.

Edited at 11:21 PM.
familybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jools1302
Apprentice Imagineer

jools1302's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hi there,

We are off to NY in July, we booked a package with BA, as happytraveller said they have a great sale I think my hubby booked it on New Years Day it’s a 5 night package staying at the Intercontinental Times Sq. We have previously stayed at the Sofitel this was in February it was very cold but bright and sunny everyday... hoping for a bit of heat this time!