Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Mar 18, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
So I can stop declaring my tea bags then. Stopped putting them in my mouth years ago
Never thought to declare the chewing gum
And ... just remembered this is a child friendly forum
Thank you for reading my mind
Old 15 Mar 18, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Mjspin
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Passing through immigration in Philadelphia a week ago the border agent asked me if I had any food to which I (truthfully) replied no. He then clarified by asking ‘no scones then’. No. ‘No shortbread?’. I still am not entirely sure whether he was being funny listing some stereotypical Brit food or those are the items Brit’s most commonly get caught with!
Mjspin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

At the end of the day, it's like the Immigration Officer deciding if you're a family group on one Customs Form or not goes.

I've been told [like others] "if it goes in your mouth and it's not medication, it's food"... so declare it. I've also been told off for declaring instant coffee & UK chocolate / sweets, on the basis "we do sell these here Sir".

The only safe way is to tick Yes to the food question & risk a telling-off for ticking Yes. The big thing is that if you did tick Yes, they can't fine you $10k. I ticked Yes last time in MCO and the Immigration Officer just asked what food I had - answer was coffee & candy. He yawned and put my Customs Declaration on his pile of them & waved me on.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
At the end of the day, it's like the Immigration Officer deciding if you're a family group on one Customs Form or not goes.

I've been told [like others] "if it goes in your mouth and it's not medication, it's food"... so declare it. I've also been told off for declaring instant coffee & UK chocolate / sweets, on the basis "we do sell these here Sir".

The only safe way is to tick Yes to the food question & risk a telling-off for ticking Yes. The big thing is that if you did tick Yes, they can't fine you $10k. I ticked Yes last time in MCO and the Immigration Officer just asked what food I had - answer was coffee & candy. He yawned and put my Customs Declaration on his pile of them & waved me on.
Exactly as I said earlier in this thread - and probably a few dozen times on here over the years.

Which would you rather face. A few sarcastic comments from the US C&BP officer or a $10,000 fine?

Mick
Old 17 Mar 18, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Problem is the US's CBP don't give a list or a definition of what they class as food that you can consult except the long winded explanations on their internet site. So people are confused as to what they should and shouldn't declare. As for the "sarky" comments yes they do sell stuff in the US but often it isn't the standard of taste we want.

Just tick yes and you are covered. I don't even listen to the comments these days.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Matty777
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
If it goes in your mouth then it's food so just declare it. You occasionally get comments from the officers like "We do have shops here" but I just carry on my way knowing I have avoided a $10,000 fine.
I've told them before (when he asked why we were bringing in loads of snacks for the kids) their chocolate tastes like crap and he should try some of ours
Matty777 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
TGT
Imagineer

I tick yes for food and above the top write 'chocolate, candy, snacks' depending what I have above it so they can just read what I have. I mostly just have those things, rarely anything else - sometimes tea bags for my guests, but tea isn't food. I was told by two separate people that the bottles of beer I had did NOT need to be declared - as beer isn't food - so next time I won't but otherwise, if I have food I say so. No big.

Di Gorton
http://www.villasoutherndunes.com

Villa Southern Dunes

Modern Disney-themed villa in the Southern Dunes golf community * Private heated west-facing pool * Sleeps 10* Room for all with sofa, dining & poolside seating for 10 * 2 ensuite doubles (king & queen) * 2 Disney-themed twins * 2 Lounges * 7 Flatscreen TVs * Great games room & amazing dressing up rail

Click >here< to see our Dibb Advert
Email: info@villasoutherndunes.com Florida State License: DWE6312923

TGT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 18, 07:20 PM  
Link to this Post
KFJames
Imagineer

KFJames's Reviews
I always take tea bags & biscuits & sometimes instant coffee, never declared it.
Old 17 Mar 18, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by KFJames View Post
I always take tea bags & biscuits & sometimes instant coffee, never declared it.
As you can see from the link that I posted earlier they are admissible but should be declared.

Mick
Old 17 Mar 18, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I was told at MCO last month I should have ticked ‘No’ as all I brought were biscuits, chocolate and cereal bars. As I had ticked ‘Yes’ an official went off to haul my case from the carousel and all my bags had to be x-rayed.
That had never happened before as I usually tick ‘yes’. Don’t know if it was because I used the automated machines in the arrival hall?
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List