Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 16 Mar 18, 06:26 AM  
Link to this Post

First timer. Alamo intermediate suv at MCO. Preference?

Flying into Orlando for the first time to visit parks on the 26th. Booked an intermediate suv. Done some research but wondered what others thought was the best offerings in this class? From what I can see these are the top 3 but really it's just others online opinions. What really counts are what you dippers think!

1. Maxda CX-5
2. Ford Escape
3. Nissan Rogue

Also what are the chances of blagging something up a class like a pickup?
Thanks y'all
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 07:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Hi. I will leave others to answer ref the best vehicle.

However your chances of a pick up are miniscule at the best of times but to get a free upgrade from an Intermediate to one will be non existent. It is a quantum leap in vehicle size/cost.
Best of luck though.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
apple-fan
VIP Dibber

apple-fan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We had a Ford Escape (Intermediate) a few times, I really enjoyed driving it...it was quite nippy, comfortable and I found it economical as well. Haven't drove any of the others so can comment.

Following a mix up last year we had the Ford Edge (Standard), which to be honest I didn't enjoy driving as much, felt very spongy and soft.

Disney Old Key West - August 2013
Disney Old Key West - August 2014
Disney Old Key West - August 2015
Disney Old Key West - Sept 2016
Disney Old Key West - Oct 2017
Disney Beach & Yacht Club - Nov 2019
Port Orleans (Riverside) - Nov 2023
apple-fan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I’d try for a Ford Escape, (Kuga in UK).
But there may be non of your choices shown available on the day. It depends what’s in stock at the time and that changes by the hour!

Your chances of blagging a truck as a free upgrade from intermediate is a step too far. I agree with Tom
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for the advice, all. I don't know much about American cars and also the limits of 'blagatory' you can go to. I am perfectly happy with the class of vehicle i've chosen as there is only 3 of us, but its good to know where the lines are drawn.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by pnut View Post
Thanks for the advice, all. I don't know much about American cars and also the limits of 'blagatory' you can go to. I am perfectly happy with the class of vehicle i've chosen as there is only 3 of us, but its good to know where the lines are drawn.
The Alamo Guys will glance at your paperwork and point out your row for you to pick what you want so research is worth doing.
However if you want an upgrade do it at the hut in the garage as that's where the deals are to be had. Plus you can decline if it's too dear and revert to what you booked.
Dont forget what they quote for an upgrade doesn't include State Tax at 6% and the Airport User Fee at 10%

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
dogken
Imagineer

This year will be our first Intermediate SUV, we have always hired a 7 seater van, I am hoping for a Ford Explorer will even try the $20 trick to get one
Old 16 Mar 18, 05:07 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Well, there were 2 pickup trucks in the fullsize (saloon) row a couple of years ago, so it's not impossible that, if the planets are aligned, you see a pickup in the Int SUV row. it all depends how much they ran out of space in the lot.

but as others have said, the odds of getting that kind of luck are sooooo slim ... that we can tell you that you won't get it and not take too much risk saying so

if you want a truck, book a truck

Edited at 05:08 PM.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
Well, there were 2 pickup trucks in the fullsize (saloon) row a couple of years ago, so it's not impossible that, if the planets are aligned, you see a pickup in the Int SUV row. it all depends how much they ran out of space in the lot.

but as others have said, the odds of getting that kind of luck are sooooo slim ... that we can tell you that you won't get it and not take too much risk saying so

if you want a truck, book a truck
I’ll bet they were locked. If I remember correctly there’s not a row for trucks, they tended to be behind the garage hut the last couple times I was in garage A
I’m waiting for Tom to take one . You need to try what construction workers drive in the USA.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Mar 18, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PPM View Post
I’ll bet they were locked.
no they were not. Actually we checked the cars out but finally set our minds on an Impala. (who wouldn't, right ? )
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List