Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Mar 18, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Love it keep em coming.x
Growing up money was tight and there was a lot of us. My mum often did potato fritters/scallops. Super unhealthy but yum. Boiled spuds sliced coated in batter and fried in lard. Took forever to do tea for us all made a heck of a mess but loved the scraps.
Used to love it when my mum did scallops and the scraps were lovely too... Lots of vinegar made them perfect.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My mums rag puddings. Mince ,onions and gravy cooked in suet pastry wrapped and tied in a piece of material and boiled for a couple of hours. I do make them once in a winter just because they make me remember mum as she was. Mine aren’t quite the same though ! Delicious but so fattening !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
pumpkin mom
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Chocolate crunch cake with green mint custard lovely. Moms stew on Saturday night with dumplings and my nan's rice pudding cooked in a huge tin it so thick you could slice it with a dollop of jam perfect. Oh and real gravy with the meat juices awsome.
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

At my primary school in the mid sixties, all the meals were made from scratch, with lard 😀 Beef stew and dumplings, ham salad with grated carrot and diced beetroot, three kinds of sponge, chocolate, pink, vanilla - with custard of the same colour. We never had chips, pasta, pizza, curry...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m a child of the 80’s, the age of microwave meals and and convenience food!
The food that reminds me of my childhood are Findus crispy pancakes and Angel delight.
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
At my primary school in the mid sixties, all the meals were made from scratch, with lard 😀 Beef stew and dumplings, ham salad with grated carrot and diced beetroot, three kinds of sponge, chocolate, pink, vanilla - with custard of the same colour. We never had chips, pasta, pizza, curry...
Our school meals were all homecooked and on site too, it was all traditional stuff, we did have chips but usually it was something with mash and it was always served from an ice cream scoop, all traditional food nearest to a pasta dish would've been spaghetti hoops, I'd never had pizza I think until I was an adult same with curry.
Favourite meal at school was cheese and onion flan... Wish I could make it like it was at school, and chocolate concrete and custard for pudding
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Sue BL View Post
Everything was made from scratch, proper chips cooked with lard, Home made pies, none of us were overweight though were we ? Now everything is about being healthy yet children are obese !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Disneyphile View Post
I’m a child of the 80’s, the age of microwave meals and and convenience food!
The food that reminds me of my childhood are Findus crispy pancakes and Angel delight.
I was partial in the 80s to a findus crispy pancake and dalesteaks.
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

I used to love gypsy tart with a lemon sauce we had for school dinners sometimes. I haven't had it since but loved it. Also, like most people, mince and mashed potato but I can't make it quite the same.
fizzypop is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Mar 18, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
My mums rag puddings. Mince ,onions and gravy cooked in suet pastry wrapped and tied in a piece of material and boiled for a couple of hours. I do make them once in a winter just because they make me remember mum as she was. Mine aren’t quite the same though ! Delicious but so fattening !
My other nan made those, my Dad called them babies heads😂