Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 27 Jan 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
When your tenants move out...

...how are services contacted? My first ever tenants are leaving soon and I'm not planning to let the house again for a while. So the tenants will inform gas, electric, telephone and council tax they are going and the date. Do I have to contact all of these and say I am now responsible? What happens if I don't? Can the electric and 'phone just be temporarily disconnected so I have no standing charge (need the gas to keep it heated)
this is all new to me
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 20, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

You just send in readings when they move in your name date and time
You resume responsibility
Telephone can be disconnected
Gas/ electric will both need to be on for heating to work
Contact council tax to say it’s unoccupied same with insurance companies
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 20, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
dee slack
Imagineer

as above, make sure your insurance company is notified as some will impose certain restrictions on empty properties, otherwise you may not be covered in case of a claim.
Disney Magic 1998*Rocky Mountaineer 2002*Italy 03 *Kenya safari 03*US S'west 04 *Dubai 04*China & Hong Kong 05*Royal Clipper 05*Sth Africa,Swaziland, Zambia,Botswana 06*India 06*Iceland 07*WDW VR 07*Tanzania 11*Japan 12*DCL EBTA 13*HK DL, Angkor Wat Cambodia,Vietnam,Thailand,Singapore 2014* DCL EBPC 14*Galapagos, Machu Picchu 15*DCL Hawaii 15*Australia,Bali 16*Asian parks 17*Alaska & polar bears 18*ABC's & Cuba cruise
dee slack is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Willyeckerslike
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

You will need to keep electric on to power the boiler for heating unless you have an alternative heating system. Make sure yours and your tenants final meter readings are the same. You will be liable for council tax after 4 weeks. You will also need to go into the property regularly to flush the wc and run the taps for Legionella purposes.
Willyeckerslike is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

TV license too, dependent on council, you may still need to pay the council tax in any case. Some don’t allow reductions even if empty.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Pino_Spetzberg
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Floridarules View Post
TV license too
Worth checking, but tenants will probably take any TV with them and cancel their own direct debit.
Recently fewer tenants have a TV, or a TV Licence, so it's not an issue for us.
Pino_Spetzberg is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 20, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I used to have great insurance cover for some of my empty properties but they wanted heating left on low but water turned off at the mains. That was always a pain. Anyway the point is that it's important to check these details with insurers for empty properties.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Jan 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
My landlord's insurance actually runs out the day they leave and I don't plan to let it again straight away - any advice on what insurance to get on it in the meanwhile while I decide whether to let it again or move into it myself?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Feb 20, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pino_Spetzberg View Post
Worth checking, but tenants will probably take any TV with them and cancel their own direct debit.
Recently fewer tenants have a TV, or a TV Licence, so it's not an issue for us.
The op stated that the house would not be let for a while therefore empty, in which case TV licensing would need to be informed to avoid confusion.
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List