Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jan 20, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I had thought the same, but it is possible that it’s changed. It will be based on when the student loan is meant to last until, so maybe the student loan department would be able to advise
My daughter is in her final year and my son is in his first year. She got around £250 less in maintenance loan than my son and when I queried it at the time it was because she’s in in her final year and it’s to cover her until her course date finishes., whereas his covers him through to the August.

A quick look on student room and there are posts from 9 years ago saying that you could claim Jsa as soon as term date ended so not sure when the rules changed but looks like they’ve been this way for a while.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:24 AM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
My DD finishes in June too. She doesn’t have a student loan so do you think she will be able to claim as soon as she finishes?
It’s her official end date which dictates when she can claim any benefits.
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
My daughter is in her final year and my son is in his first year. She got around £250 less in maintenance loan than my son and when I queried it at the time it was because she’s in in her final year and it’s to cover her until her course date finishes., whereas his covers him through to the August.

A quick look on student room and there are posts from 9 years ago saying that you could claim Jsa as soon as term date ended so not sure when the rules changed but looks like they’ve been this way for a while.
As I mentioned earlier, I wasn’t aware of the loan being less in the final year (as DD is in year one at uni) This would explain why they can apply as soon as the course ends whether they are in receipt of a loan or not. I agree they should apply as soon as it’s possible as it does take quite a while before they receive any payments
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BONDY LAD View Post
Evening folks, ds(3) is due to finish university in June, just wondering is he entitled to jobseekers or any benefits as he will come “home” to live for ever how long, no more loans etc etc, he will be looking for some kind of work, however he wants and deserves a holiday prior to this, any info appreciated, bondy.

Sorry Bondy, I am confused by your sentence "he wants and deserves a holiday prior to this" if your son can afford a holiday he shouldn't in my opinion be applying for benefits.

I always thought the benefits system was for those in desperate need/situations not those who have just walked out of university.

Is this really what the UK has come to?
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 01:26 AM  
Link to this Post
wikkle jan
Imagineer

wikkle jan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Minnie18 View Post
Sorry Bondy, I am confused by your sentence "he wants and deserves a holiday prior to this" if your son can afford a holiday he shouldn't in my opinion be applying for benefits.

I always thought the benefits system was for those in desperate need/situations not those who have just walked out of university.

Is this really what the UK has come to?
Knowing Bondy (as i do) im sure he means he will pay for his son ... And im sure he is just saying that his son deserves a holiday after all the hard work, then he will find a job...
wikkle jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tbone
slightly serious Dibber

Tbone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Unless things have changed since I worked in graduate recruitment it might not be wise to delay looking for a job in order to have a holiday. Graduate jobs and schemes tend to open annually starting around the end of year 3 and fill very quickly in a competitive area. Delaying looking for a job even by a month might greatly limit what is available until the following year.
Tbone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

When you claim benefits such as JSA or UC you need to be available to look for work and therefore declare any holidays in the UK or abroad.

For UK breaks if your signing day coincides with a day you’re away they may ask you to sign at a different office. If abroad they’ll put it in the record that you’re out of the country and not available for work - which may impact payment?

It’s been a couple of years now since I worked closely with JCP so I might be a little off the mark (UC wasn’t rolled out all over for all claimants) but still things to consider.
Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
I agree with the poster who advised not to delay looking for a graduate job - finishing university and securing a full time job, and having a break/holiday before starting are not mutually exclusive.

Both my DD's were applying for jobs by January of their final year of uni and both had secured good positions by Easter. Employers know final year graduates cannot start until after the academic year ends so are happy to wait and even allow a gap before they start in which to have a holiday. Our eldest decided to start within a week of finishing her degree but our youngest started her job in August.

Securing a job early removes the stress over finding a position at an already difficult time when concentrating on final exams/dissertation etc and universities often hold recruitment fairs in the spring making it easier to connect with graduate employers in the first place.

Instead of encouraging your son to claim benefits, I'd be encouraging him to apply for jobs now!

Debra
Old 29 Jan 20, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
I agree with the poster who advised not to delay looking for a graduate job - finishing university and securing a full time job, and having a break/holiday before starting are not mutually exclusive.

Both my DD's were applying for jobs by January of their final year of uni and both had secured good positions by Easter. Employers know final year graduates cannot start until after the academic year ends so are happy to wait and even allow a gap before they start in which to have a holiday. Our eldest decided to start within a week of finishing her degree but our youngest started her job in August.

Securing a job early removes the stress over finding a position at an already difficult time when concentrating on final exams/dissertation etc and universities often hold recruitment fairs in the spring making it easier to connect with graduate employers in the first place.

Instead of encouraging your son to claim benefits, I'd be encouraging him to apply for jobs now!

Debra
I was just about to post something similar to this!

When I was at Uni (admittedly a long time ago) everyone was applying for jobs in the final year, it was unheard of that anyone would even contemplate signing on. They’ve been working towards their chosen career for the last 3-6 years why would they then want to claim benefits
If you snooze you lose, get him looking now before all the best ones are taken.
Old 29 Jan 20, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by wikkle jan View Post
Knowing Bondy (as i do) im sure he means he will pay for his son ... And im sure he is just saying that his son deserves a holiday after all the hard work, then he will find a job...
I appreciate Bondys son has worked hard but would it not be better for Bondy to gift/loan his son the money rather than his son claiming benefits.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread