Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 24 Aug 17, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
stressedofdevon
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Living up to your username there, Disneywiseowl! Thanks for the tip.
2017 High Grove
stressedofdevon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
espleys
Earning More Ears

we did this route at the end of July this year. We did it in 1hr 40 (so 20 mins to spare), that was with a big queue in immigration. Felt tense at the time but would have more confidence about it if we did it again. If you miss the connection I think there are hourly flights from Atl to MCO
espleys is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by Pinkpoochie View Post
As the title says, I'm looking at a connecting flight back to Manchester from Orlando, via Atlanta. Is 2hrs long enough to get off one plane onto the other?

Does your luggage go straight through or do you have to collect and check in again?

Sorry if it's a silly question, but travelling with a family of 8 and worry if logistically it will be a nightmare, but it will save us lots!

Thanks
Most of the responses seem to be about outbound flight (which is different process as you have to collect your luggage and do immigration there), however if you're only concerned about the return flight, if you have a through ticket, you won't see your luggage until you get back to the UK and no immigration at the layover airport, so 2hrs should be more than enough.

We had a <2hr window a few weeks ago, our plane was almost an hour late departing and we still had time to spare when we got to Miami.
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
millienoahleo
Excited about Disney

We connected at Atlanta on the way here 10th August this month, stuck at passport control going in for 2 hours missed the flight and got out on standby for next flights, was told there are flights at 4, 6, and 7pm so if we don't make the 6pm standby we are on the 7pm standby and if we're not in that it'll be 6.30am next day!
Personally I'd book the later flight just to be sure I'm on it, but dibbers have said they've done the same flight and been through in less than an hour.
Only 3 family's got on the 6pm flight, we were one of them. And half the que behind us in immigration were from our flight

Edited at 01:47 PM.
millienoahleo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
toonarmani
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 137
Originally Posted by millienoahleo View Post
We connected at Atlanta on the way here 10th August this month, stuck at passport control going in for 2 hours missed the flight and got out on standby for next flights, was told there are flights at 4, 6, and 7pm so if we don't make the 6pm standby we are on the 7pm standby and if we're not in that it'll be 6.30am next day!
Personally I'd book the later flight just to be sure I'm on it, but dinners have said they've done the same flight and been through in less than an hour.
Only 3 family's got on the 6pm flight, we were one of them. And half the que behind us in immigration were from our flight
Your experience is for the outbound flight via Atlanta, whereas the OP was asking about the return flight (back to Manchester from Orlando, via Atlanta)?

As you wouldn't go through passport control in Atlanta on the return?
toonarmani is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disneywiseowl
VIP Dibber

disneywiseowl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by stressedofdevon View Post
Living up to your username there, Disneywiseowl! Thanks for the tip.
You're welcome. Here's another: try to get on the front carriage of the little train (furthest away) as just like at MCO, you'll then be at the front of the crowd - heading to the (transferring passengers) security queues.

(My daughters gave me that user name when they set me up on here ( I'm a tech dummy ) I think it was some kind of revenge )

Good luck. I'm trying the Dublin route to Dulles next. It'll be exactly 60 years since I was on an Aer Lingus plane! Do you think it'll have changed?
disneywiseowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 17, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinks_81
Apprentice Imagineer

I've booked this for next year and have approx 70 mins to get from one to another. Hoping it will be ok but in no rush to get back as won't be in work for a few days after.
2012 highgrove villa
2014 AOA at TownCentre villa
Tinks_81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinkpoochie View Post
As the title says, I'm looking at a connecting flight back to Manchester from Orlando, via Atlanta. Is 2hrs long enough to get off one plane onto the other?

Does your luggage go straight through or do you have to collect and check in again?

Sorry if it's a silly question, but travelling with a family of 8 and worry if logistically it will be a nightmare, but it will save us lots!

Thanks
As you're leaving the US for Man, if the inbound flight from MCO is on time you should have ample time. Your luggage will be checked in at MCO, you won't touch it again until you arrive in Manchester.

Going to RSW our Atl layover is 1 hour 35 mins, return is 57 minutes. Some likely think we're too laid back, *shrugs*, VA/Delta will get us on the next available flight if any of our aircraft are delayed/late.

Have a smashing holiday
Old 25 Aug 17, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
tommys
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

tommys's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
2hrs is more than enough time on your way home and you'll not see your bags until Manchester. Enough time for a pit stop before boarding
tommys is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 17, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Pinkpoochie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thank you so much everyone! I do feel reassured now. It's a risk but one we're prepared to take for the savings involved. Overall it will save £2800, which will go a long way to buying wdw tickets for everyone 😊 Thanks again
Pinkpoochie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List