Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Apr 20, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Anne
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
When I have had cats I followed advice from a old family friend who is a retired vet and crushed said pill in mortar and pestle and sprinkled over small amount of food - cat fooled and medicine taken
Our cat still seemed to know medicine was on the food and wouldn't eat the food when we did that.
Anne is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My cat needed antibiotics and steroids over the winter. I hated holding her down and putting the pill down her throat so I got some pill pate that I wrapped around each pill. It was liver tasting and she loved it! However it did make her put on a little bit of weight but she has since lost that so it was worth it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

My cat is on daily medication and thankfully takes it really well now. The vet taught us to hold her jaw with a thumb and middle finger right on the hinge. I put my left hand on her jaw and use my right hand to open her mouth. The left hand should stop their mouth closing. Be as quick as possible and aim for the back of the throat! We rub her neck afterwards to make sure she swallows.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

My boy is in his twenties and has a few pills each day. You can buy dog liver treat paste and I roll it into balls with the pill inside. Cheese is a good one or licky stix. Basically food for my boy.
Old 14 Apr 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

I haven't read all of the replies but I have a cat that refuses tablets. I asked the vetinary nurse to give him his worming tablet once and she tried to force his mouth open and shove it in his mouth. This resulted in him being scared of the vets. For the first 12 years of his life he was happy to go to the vets for routine checks and even an operation. Now at age 14 he has a warning on his notes that he is extremely vicious this has all stemmed from that one episode. When I mentioned this to the vet she said just put the tablet in some strong smelly cheese that has worked a treat for us although I have to watch for him spitting it out.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

We have to medicate our 15yo cat twice daily - she’s never been one for treats so I was apprehensive about crushing & putting them in the lick-e-lix treats, but she loves them! She comes to us like clockwork at the times we give them, they’ve honestly been a godsend. There’d be no way we could’ve got her to take a whole tablet. Definitely recommend this method!

Edited to add - not sure what affect this would have on weight - it has made my Willow put on weight but she’s a British short hair so they are very stocky anyway, and she is on steroids so I have no idea if it’s the treats or the steroids that made her put on weight! She seems to have reached a steady weight now though and hasn’t put on for a while.
I did query this with the vet and he basically said it was fine and not to worry.

I’m sure with antibiotics that aren’t going to be long term it’d be fine, anything long term I’d check with the vet but I’m sure it’d be fine too!

Edited at 12:43 PM.
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Check out the Vancouver vet on YouTube. There is one episode about giving a cat a pill. I followed his advice and now giving either of our cats pills is stressless for all. Our largest cat is 8.5kg so keeping him calm is important.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We bought this off eBay. It was recommended by the vet. Oscar can be a little feisty and we have had no problems using this pill syringe followed by a treat.

Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Apr 20, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
willow
Imagineer

Thanks for all your tips. Will give them a try. Hopefully only a few one days of her having to take the pills, I can’t cope with the face she gives me afterwards, she looks at me like I’ve tried to kill her

Indian Creek 2004,Radison 2005
Indian Creek 2007,Calabry Park 2009
Lake Wilson Preserve 2011,2013, 2015,2016,2017,2018, 2019,2020
willow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 20, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
wombat girl
Imagineer

our cat needed daily tablets for a couple of years and many things did not work.

Hiding the pill in small amount of Diarylee Triangle always worked and he enjoyed it. Other makes had more salt in so we avoided it.

Our cat was around the same age.
Good Luck.
DLP 2018 - Star Tours - A solo story trip May 2018
ASM 2018 - It's Looking like a lot like a Christmas Wombat- Solo Trip TBC
wombat girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List