Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 May 20, 06:25 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile high gloss kitchen cupboards

Hi! i’m hoping some clever dibbers can help me here (or tell me i’m being very unrealistic). I moved into a 1930s house end of 2018, now I am a sucker for original features.

We bought it off a ‘flipper’ so basically they had bought the house and done it up to sell. Upon moving in we’ve found that most things haven’t been done properly (we need to rehang every. single. door! )
One thing they did was put in an ultra modern, high gloss kitchen. I hate it. I love traditional wooden kitchens but I currently can’t afford a brand new kitchen.
Is there anything I can do? Can you paint high gloss units? I’d told myself no, however I recently discovered you can paint PVC doors so I thought it’s worth an ask!

Google has been pretty useless, the only search results I’m getting are how to turn your kitchen into a high gloss one (understandably, as it’s all the rage at the minute)

thanks!
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by arosiem View Post
Hi! i’m hoping some clever dibbers can help me here (or tell me i’m being very unrealistic). I moved into a 1930s house end of 2018, now I am a sucker for original features.

We bought it off a ‘flipper’ so basically they had bought the house and done it up to sell. Upon moving in we’ve found that most things haven’t been done properly (we need to rehang every. single. door! )
One thing they did was put in an ultra modern, high gloss kitchen. I hate it. I love traditional wooden kitchens but I currently can’t afford a brand new kitchen.
Is there anything I can do? Can you paint high gloss units? I’d told myself no, however I recently discovered you can paint PVC doors so I thought it’s worth an ask!

Google has been pretty useless, the only search results I’m getting are how to turn your kitchen into a high gloss one (understandably, as it’s all the rage at the minute)

thanks!
There are a few different finished for gloss finished in kitchens - a foil or a paint of some sort.
I cant imagine you could repaint over a foil - but not 100% sure. If it isnt foil, then you should be able to paint over.

You can tell the difference as foil has an orange peel finish when viewed in light.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
There are a few different finished for gloss finished in kitchens - a foil or a paint of some sort.
I cant imagine you could repaint over a foil - but not 100% sure. If it isnt foil, then you should be able to paint over.

You can tell the difference as foil has an orange peel finish when viewed in light.
I don’t think it’s a foil - I think they are the high gloss IKEA units?
arosiem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
offtoseemickey
Imagineer

offtoseemickey's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 25
I think you might be able to paint them with chalk paint and use some kind of finish...? Have you looked into just buying new doors?

Sticking to a budget Oct ‘18 Universal & off-site dining report
offtoseemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridag1rl
Apprentice Imagineer

Why not look at changing the door fronts, its not that expensive.
Old 17 May 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

i had thought about changing the cupboard doors, but the full units are high gloss.

here’s a pic:

so the cupboards on the back wall have been taken down, but you can see at the side is still high gloss too

(estate agent picture which is why it doesn’t look lived in!)
Old 17 May 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Have a look at Frenchic paint. Social media is going bonkers for it and apparently it's great on anything from what I can gather.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

You could cover them with the sticky back stuff... cannot remember what it is called, but you would have to take the doors off
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 May 20, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
arosiem
Excited about Disney

Mobile

oooh i’ll take a look at the paint, thank you!

i did see vinyl wraps but most of them seem to be for making kitchens look high gloss haha!
Old 18 May 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Mobile

You can replace the sides as well. I hate high gloss too so I‘D be really tempted to replace.
If you like the layout of the kitchen though, replacing the doors and sides would be much cheaper than a whole new kitchen.
If there are any IKEA doors you like would be even easier