Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Nov 16, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

Three feel at home is pants...

At least in my opinion .

Just back (literally 5 minutes ago) and this was our first go with Three feel at home - previously we've used US SIMs bought from eBay preloaded with credit (on Verizon I think).

The reception from Three's roaming partners in the US27 corridor, on I4, I-Drive and around the parks was simply appalling. Of course there's no 4G on feel at home but I hardly ever even got 3G and only rarely got 2G good enough to use Facebook. In fact in quite a lot of places I struggled to make voice calls and the delay on the line made conversations difficult. I ended up having to use WiFi calling.

12Gb of data? What a joke - we'll be lucky to have used 500Mb.

Add in that they were a PITA to set up (Three's website was quite flakey just before we went) and I think I'll be going back to US SIMS - at least I will if I can afford to go back again at some point.

I'm sure feel at home is great for some people, especially those who want to stay in touch with the UK, but it just wasn't good enough for what I needed.
fl-veteran is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I agree. Performance in the US is throttled - its barely useable.
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
eaglesrest
Apprentice Imagineer

Totally agree. In most areas I've visited in Florida, it's been a complete and frustrating waste of time and money. Switching the carrier from auto to manual (AT&T) helped slightly. Tmobile never worked for us.

Edited at 12:10 PM.
eaglesrest is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 11:45 AM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

I had no issues at all when I was there end of August, worked perfectly for my needs. However I din't use anywhere near the data I expected, mostly due to the free wifi at all the parks (and in the villa).
lovewdw is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 11:52 AM  
Link to this Post
georgemac
Imagineer

georgemac's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Has not been brilliant for us in California either to be honest. IN terms of data useage, have not used the voice calls much.
1997 Airtours, 1999 BA Best Western LBV, 2001 Westridge Villa, 2005 Westridge Villa (Trip Report)
georgemac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
chapea
Getting Excited

Seemed very variable for us in August I had lots of trouble using google maps and getting a signal but my daughter who was also using a three phone had no problem so we had to use hers the majority of the time for directions

Both were three monthly contract phones. Both iPhones
chapea is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
RC22
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Just got back today and thoroughly agree with the OP. The 3g is awful drops in and out at the same location and usually just drops off to a regular non-3g signal (had to turn phone on and off and voila 3g came back for about 5 mins...)

Free wi-fi is abundant tho.

Wouldn't bother with 3 again.
March 2010 I-Drive Quality Inn International Nov 2011 I-Drive Homewood Suites Oct 2012 The Dibb fave Coral's Villa Lindfields Aug 2013 Blue Heron Resort Aug 2014 NY & Orlando Cane Island 10yr Wedding Anniversary., Oct 2016 Windsor Palms, Royal Pacific and Disney Dream Cruise , Aug 2017 Emerald Island Oct 2019 Emerald Island & Vero Beach Aug 22 Glenbrook villa The First Bite That Gets You Hooked. Trip Report
RC22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
macadoo
Imagineer

Agree it was pretty bad for me at times, I couldn't get internet on t mobile at all and had to keep switching over at&t. I'm on three contract anyway so saw it as a nice bonus being able to use my phone (when it would connect) dh bought a pay as you go sim and he Had less issues getting on the Internet on his phone.

Edited at 12:34 PM.
macadoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 12:35 PM  
Link to this Post
swiper
VIP Dibber

We had no issues what so ever.
Excellent for us for the full 30 days we were in Florida.
Will use again when we go back!
swiper is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 16, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fl-veteran View Post
At least in my opinion .

Just back (literally 5 minutes ago) and this was our first go with Three feel at home - previously we've used US SIMs bought from eBay preloaded with credit (on Verizon I think).

The reception from Three's roaming partners in the US27 corridor, on I4, I-Drive and around the parks was simply appalling. Of course there's no 4G on feel at home but I hardly ever even got 3G and only rarely got 2G good enough to use Facebook. In fact in quite a lot of places I struggled to make voice calls and the delay on the line made conversations difficult. I ended up having to use WiFi calling.

12Gb of data? What a joke - we'll be lucky to have used 500Mb.

Have to agree getting data was a pain and more often than not no good for anything. Same down at St Petes.
If I were to use it again, I'd only go for the 10 option with 1gb of data rather than 20 with 12gb, as I found it impossible to use anywhere near 1gb of data, due to the poor performance. Even tried manually selecting networks, but most of the time they were as bad as each other.
Must admit the calls back to the UK and to other members of the party with us, using 3, did work ok though.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread