Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jan 17, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Gettysburg and Hershey World from DC?

Hi all

We are visiting Washington DC next month and are planning on hiring a car for the day to visit Gettysburg.

We are going to book a ranger tour, where the guide joins you in your car for two hours and shows you around the battlefields. Has anyone ever done this?

I'm also thinking of going to Hershey's World for the afternoon. Has anyone been? And if so, will three hours there be enough? (Our boys are 9 and 12, and I suspect the two hour tour at Gettysburg will be enough for them).

Looking at googłe maps, we could collect the hire car at 7.30am, and it's a 1.5hr drive to Gettysburg, to be on the safe side I'd book the 10.30-12.30 ranger tour, Hershey world is an hours drive, so say 2pm-5pm and then a 2.5hr drive back to DC. The car wouldnt need to be returned until 10pm, but still, is that too ambitious?!

Edited at 12:19 AM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 17, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Hi

I would say it would be a struggle to fit it all in. When we did our trip to Hersheyworld (there's a link to my trip in my signature) we spent a full day there. Loads to do and lots of rides, plus a water park and the chocolate world next door, we were there from opening until 9pm ish. A great place we loved it.

Gettysburg is good too, we only spent the morning before heading off to NY and felt we just scratched the surface really. I would maybe concentrate on one or the other unless you could go for two days to give yourself a bit more time.

If you have any questions just let me know.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 17, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Hi

I would say it would be a struggle to fit it all in. When we did our trip to Hersheyworld (there's a link to my trip in my signature) we spent a full day there. Loads to do and lots of rides, plus a water park and the chocolate world next door, we were there from opening until 9pm ish. A great place we loved it.

Gettysburg is good too, we only spent the morning before heading off to NY and felt we just scratched the surface really. I would maybe concentrate on one or the other unless you could go for two days to give yourself a bit more time.

If you have any questions just let me know.
Thank you so much for posting ive just read your whole trip report and it was amazing!

I made a mistake above, as I guess I didn't mean Hershey World, but rather the chocolate factory. My boys love all types of Hershey's chocolate and they also really enjoy Cadbury World here, so I thought it might be a nice way to spend the afternoon? Especially if they can make their own chocolate bars! Do you think the factory alone would be worth the trip?

Again, many thanks for your reply
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
Thank you so much for posting ive just read your whole trip report and it was amazing!

I made a mistake above, as I guess I didn't mean Hershey World, but rather the chocolate factory. My boys love all types of Hershey's chocolate and they also really enjoy Cadbury World here, so I thought it might be a nice way to spend the afternoon? Especially if they can make their own chocolate bars! Do you think the factory alone would be worth the trip?

Again, many thanks for your reply
If it's the Chocolate World part that would be doable in a few hours. We only stopped in for an hour after the park so didn't do many of the separate paid for attractions. There was a ride which explained the making of the Chocolate but then a few different experiences, one of them being the make your own bar. The shop is massive and if they love Hershey's will see plenty to buy. The story behind the founder of Hershey's is interesting too so think it would work out a good way to spend a few hours.

It's a great part of America and sure you'll enjoy both, the zoo in DC is worth a visit with the boys and it's free too.

Glad you enjoyed the report just let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

If it's the Chocolate World part that would be doable in a few hours. We only stopped in for an hour after the park so didn't do many of the separate paid for attractions. There was a ride which explained the making of the Chocolate but then a few different experiences, one of them being the make your own bar. The shop is massive and if they love Hershey's will see plenty to buy. The story behind the founder of Hershey's is interesting too so think it would work out a good way to spend a few hours.

It's a great part of America and sure you'll enjoy both, the zoo in DC is worth a visit with the boys and it's free too.

Glad you enjoyed the report just let me know if there's anything else I can help you out with.
That's great Neil thank you

Can I just ask - do you think it's worth doing the top of the Washington monument? That wasn't something that was possible all those years ago when I visited last!
Old 20 Jan 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

I thought it was closed until 2019 whilst they modernize the elevator.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post
LostGirl
Imagineer

LostGirl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My DH wanted to do Gettysburg and couldn't have been less interested!

When we got there I was quite moved, the visitors centre is quite good, and the cyclorama is massive and quite thought provoking.

We did a battlefield horse-ride, DH and I both ride, but worry not it is at walking pace, and nose to tail. The guide was awesome and it was a unique way of seeing the battlefield. We rode the trials the Confederate soldiers would have ridden and we both really enjoyed it.

LostGirl

LostGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
That's great Neil thank you

Can I just ask - do you think it's worth doing the top of the Washington monument? That wasn't something that was possible all those years ago when I visited last!
Definetly - I would try to prebook your tickets online though first, the queue was quite long and they sold out fast. We all really enjoyed it and the views were excellent.
Old 20 Jan 17, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loftus
Imagineer

Definetly - I would try to prebook your tickets online though first, the queue was quite long and they sold out fast. We all really enjoyed it and the views were excellent.
In case my reply is lost above, the Washington Monument is closed until Spring 2019 whilst they modernize the elevator.
Loftus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 17, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LostGirl View Post
My DH wanted to do Gettysburg and couldn't have been less interested!

When we got there I was quite moved, the visitors centre is quite good, and the cyclorama is massive and quite thought provoking.

We did a battlefield horse-ride, DH and I both ride, but worry not it is at walking pace, and nose to tail. The guide was awesome and it was a unique way of seeing the battlefield. We rode the trials the Confederate soldiers would have ridden and we both really enjoyed it.
Wow! That sounds like an amazing way to see the battlefields! sadly I have a broken coccyx so I don't think my back would handle it, but it sounds a terrific idea!
Originally Posted by Loftus View Post
In case my reply is lost above, the Washington Monument is closed until Spring 2019 whilst they modernize the elevator.
Thank you both - yes, sadly when I went to look at ticket pricing I saw that it was closed never mind - I guess that something to save for a repeat visit!