Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Jan 17, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Getting from Vancouver to Seattle?

We had planned to get the train from Vancouver to Seattle as part of our trip this summer, but have now found that it only leaves twice a day at 6am (which will be far too early for us to get to from Whistler) or 5.30pm. Having never been to Seattle before, I am worried about arriving after dark in an area that we don't know - It's never easy for us to jump straight into a cab as we are a family of 5 and don't want to struggle to get onward transportation late at night.

An alternative is the bus but I am hearing horror stories about 3hr waits at the border so not an ideal solution either.

I'm pretty certain I can't do a one way car rental as a UK citizen - But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone got any experience of an of the methods of travelling this route? Or the location/Safety of Seattle train station?

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Orlandoaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 06:41 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandoaddict View Post
We had planned to get the train from Vancouver to Seattle as part of our trip this summer, but have now found that it only leaves twice a day at 6am (which will be far too early for us to get to from Whistler) or 5.30pm. Having never been to Seattle before, I am worried about arriving after dark in an area that we don't know - It's never easy for us to jump straight into a cab as we are a family of 5 and don't want to struggle to get onward transportation late at night.

An alternative is the bus but I am hearing horror stories about 3hr waits at the border so not an ideal solution either.

I'm pretty certain I can't do a one way car rental as a UK citizen - But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Has anyone got any experience of an of the methods of travelling this route? Or the location/Safety of Seattle train station?

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
We went from Seattle to Vancouver by train and remember it being an early start, I think the train went at 7am.

It was such a beautiful journey I would highly recomend it! You could stay in Vancouver the night before and catch the early train?

Seattle station is downtown, and didn't feel unsafe.

Or there is the Bolt bus, crosses the border so yes you'll have to get off and do that.

One way car rentals are pretty much cost prohibitive! Although I think thrifty/hertz do them for an extortionate fee.

Have you looked at a flight from whistler to Seattle?
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney_time
Imagineer

Disney_time's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
We got SeaCat from Seattle to Vancouver Island, but I don't know if there's one into Vancouver itself. The border stuff was done on leaving Seattle.
Old 21 Jan 17, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
We went from Seattle to Vancouver by train and remember it being an early start, I think the train went at 7am.

It was such a beautiful journey I would highly recomend it! You could stay in Vancouver the night before and catch the early train?

Seattle station is downtown, and didn't feel unsafe.

Or there is the Bolt bus, crosses the border so yes you'll have to get off and do that.

One way car rentals are pretty much cost prohibitive! Although I think thrifty/hertz do them for an extortionate fee.

Have you looked at a flight from whistler to Seattle?
Thank you for your reply - I think we are going to rearrange our hotel bookings and go for the train. Did you just need your passport and ESTA for the border crossing?
Orlandoaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney_time View Post
We got SeaCat from Seattle to Vancouver Island, but I don't know if there's one into Vancouver itself. The border stuff was done on leaving Seattle.
Thank you - Unfortunately they don't do a route to Vancouver
Old 21 Jan 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Orlandoaddict View Post
Thank you for your reply - I think we are going to rearrange our hotel bookings and go for the train. Did you just need your passport and ESTA for the border crossing?
We went the other way round but I don't think you need an ESTA IF entering USA by land. Just check though.
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 12:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by arielrocks View Post
We went the other way round but I don't think you need an ESTA IF entering USA by land. Just check though.
Thank you
Old 23 Jan 17, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

We went from Vancouver Island to Seattle by ferry which counted as a land crossing so no ESTA needed. However, the immigration suggested that having the ESTA would make life easier! We had to fill in the white waiver form for the kids. This was 3 years ago!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List