Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 4 Jan 17, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
welshwiz
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 16
Guidebook Reviews: 1
It's been about 10 years since we went to Levi and we loved it!

We had a log cabin so ate in mostly but I recall having a nice meal in the Leventuri Spa Hotel and also paid for a day pass to use the swimming pool sauna/spa and we ate at the Gondola building (I recall reindeer on the menu ) . As mentioned above 10 years ago you were limited to the main hotel restaurants and just a couple of small places (pizza place I recall and a Spar shop) but there should be more options now.

We enjoyed all the tours we booked at the tourist information centre and we also hired a car to drive to Rovaniemi.

Have a great time! We have really fond memories of Lapland
welshwiz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jan 17, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi

NOOOO - we go to the airport on Saturday and fly our Sunday morning.

Skiis are out and ready but thats it! Need to get a shift on!

Any hints tips will be gratefully received.

Part of me would love to be going back to Canada but we have 2 fantastic trips lined up and this will be a completely new experience for us.
DH is high as a kite!

Katie x
You will absolutely love it! Its so beautiful

Make sure you have plenty of thermals as it was -40c yesterday!

There is a gorgeous cafe called Cafe Soma which is located next to the small supermarket, it does great food and amazing home made cakes We only discovered it on our last trip but it is now a firm favourite!

If you are skiing I recommend getting up early and getting the first ski bus round to South Point, there is some great runs round there and it has a chair lift (with heated seats!). You will most likely have the runs to yourself for the first hour

There is loads of great excursions to do if you are wanting to do them. We especially love snow mobiling, husky sledding and also we did the Winter Laser World which was great fun

x
Orlando 1995 - 1998 - 2000 - 2007 - 2009 - 2015
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by ljbojangles View Post
You will absolutely love it! Its so beautiful

Make sure you have plenty of thermals as it was -40c yesterday!

There is a gorgeous cafe called Cafe Soma which is located next to the small supermarket, it does great food and amazing home made cakes We only discovered it on our last trip but it is now a firm favourite!

If you are skiing I recommend getting up early and getting the first ski bus round to South Point, there is some great runs round there and it has a chair lift (with heated seats!). You will most likely have the runs to yourself for the first hour

There is loads of great excursions to do if you are wanting to do them. We especially love snow mobiling, husky sledding and also we did the Winter Laser World which was great fun

x
Hi

thank you for the info

We have raided a bank to cover some of the excursions!

I love looking at menus and tried the cafe but its all in Finnish

We'll be packing tonight and off to Gatwick tomorrow. Im finishing work at 2 then running home so it'll be full steam ahead at 4!

Katie x x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
Hi

thank you for the info

We have raided a bank to cover some of the excursions!

I love looking at menus and tried the cafe but its all in Finnish

We'll be packing tonight and off to Gatwick tomorrow. Im finishing work at 2 then running home so it'll be full steam ahead at 4!

Katie x x
Hope you have an amazing time!

There is lots of lovely places to eat so im sure you will have no trouble finding them. And dont worry the menus are in English when you get there! hehe.

xx
ljbojangles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 17, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Originally Posted by welshwiz View Post
It's been about 10 years since we went to Levi and we loved it!

We had a log cabin so ate in mostly but I recall having a nice meal in the Leventuri Spa Hotel and also paid for a day pass to use the swimming pool sauna/spa and we ate at the Gondola building (I recall reindeer on the menu ) . As mentioned above 10 years ago you were limited to the main hotel restaurants and just a couple of small places (pizza place I recall and a Spar shop) but there should be more options now.

We enjoyed all the tours we booked at the tourist information centre and we also hired a car to drive to Rovaniemi.

Have a great time! We have really fond memories of Lapland
Thank you

Originally Posted by ljbojangles View Post
Hope you have an amazing time!

There is lots of lovely places to eat so im sure you will have no trouble finding them. And dont worry the menus are in English when you get there! hehe.

xx
Im a nightmare with menus - I love looking and choosing what I'm going to have even months ahead

The cafe is on the list

I just wish it wasnt a 330 check in - that'll be a killer but the weather looks like its going to be just fine and there is some snow in the forecast. Picked a good week hopefully

Katie x x
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 17, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Tink75
Imagineer

Hope you both have a lovely time Katie - sounds amazing xx
Tink75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 17, 10:54 AM  
Link to this Post
ljbojangles
Imagineer

ljbojangles's Reviews
How was your trip?
Old 22 Jan 17, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
Hi everyone

We'll we've been back for a week.

we had for the most part a great trip.

I didnt fee too well when we arrived and this carried on through the monday too, although I did feel much better than travel day

Tuesday it was very cold so we had a lovely 2 hr walk in the snow.

We skied Wed and planned to ski thurs but a late night having visited the Snow hotel put paid to that!
We skied again on Friday and walked again on the Saturday.

We had some lovely snowy days but that meant very little chance of seeing the northern lights - we did stand out on a frozen lake for an hour one evening but had to be back at the gondola to the hotel by 9 so thankfully DH gave up on the idea (it was blooming freezing )

We always try to have one trip/excursion on our holidays - we've already done dog sledding and snow mobiling so the only real choice was the snow hotel. They did a transfer and dinner option so it would have been rude not to...

Well - it Snow hotel dinner was AWESOME! Frozen everything - even shot glasses were made out of ice. When you walked into the rooms it was eerily quiet - you couldnt hear a thing! Not sure id want to stay over though - it was absolutely freezing!

The main thing I struggled with was the lack of daylight - it was still dark by 1030 and then got dark again by 3pm - when we go to Canada we usually get daylight from 930-430.
We would have breakfast, either ski or walk for 2-3 hours then back to the room for lunch - we made sandwiches up at breakfast as eating out was soo expensive! €10 for a hot chocolate and a cup of tea or €15 for ham sandwich and chips - although it did look nice.
Both of us would then sleep or read for a couple of hours and then out around 530 for a walk around town, dinner and home to bed around 9!

We knew it wasnt going to be a major skiing holiday - the runs are too short for any intermediate skiers and a lot of the runs/lifts were shut - we had decided before going that we would just buy our lift pass on a day by day basis as this was the same price as buying a week ticket.

This worked well especially as I was ill for the first day.

We ate at a pizza place a couple of nights - we 6/10, Nili Poro - had reindeer - amazing meals 10/10 (you cant book here so its a bit pot luck or go early ish - we went by 615 and got seated both times - but there are only 20 odd seats!) and Colorado bar and grill - again great food 10/10 - especially for the ribs. (book in advance or pop in on the day as it was very busy)

We had a great relaxing trip - which is just what we planned. There were a few issues with the hotel and we did miss a hot tub but we knew that before we went.
We've rediscovered our love for skiing - however were going to have till Jan/Feb 18 to go again as next Jan is already booked!

Here are a few random photos.

Reindeer meatballs - delish!

Ice hotel - full thermals required but a fantastic evening

Random walking in the snow photos!

around 3m in the afternoon - no daylight!

Katie x x