Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 17, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi for coast ? 2 nights Monterey , 17 mile drive, evening in Carmel , whale watching from moss landing, fantastic. Then drive down coast stopping to see elephant seals at San Simeon and possible overnight at Santa Barbara , nice place nice bars restaurants. Suggest breakfast at the boat house Henry's beach

Edited at 01:54 PM.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

United fly to Chicago.

If Anaheim has to be in the middle then it limits your options.

SF - LA - SD would make the most sense if that has to be the case. Its only 2-3 hours from SD back to LA so you can fly out of there.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

As above, I'd suggest SF, Anaheim, SD or SF, Vegas, Anaheim SD and fly back from LA (reward flights permitting).

We've travelled SD to LAX on the day of our flight home, it was fine, just a couple of hours drive. Otherwise could you fly SD or LA to NYC/BOS if you can pick up reward seats back from there?

SD airport is in the middle of the city, literally. BA fly there, but obviously no good for VS reward seats.
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 04:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
United fly to Chicago.

If Anaheim has to be in the middle then it limits your options.

SF - LA - SD would make the most sense if that has to be the case. Its only 2-3 hours from SD back to LA so you can fly out of there.
Thank you.

Yes, unfortunately the Anaheim dates are fixed. Chicago was an idea as I thought VS went there, but I'm really keen to try and use some of our miles - we have about 500k and my plans to use them previously have never worked out.

Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
As above, I'd suggest SF, Anaheim, SD or SF, Vegas, Anaheim SD and fly back from LA (reward flights permitting).

We've travelled SD to LAX on the day of our flight home, it was fine, just a couple of hours drive. Otherwise could you fly SD or LA to NYC/BOS if you can pick up reward seats back from there?

SD airport is in the middle of the city, literally. BA fly there, but obviously no good for VS reward seats.
So to return, SD, back to the East Coast via internal flight (if necessary, hopefully not) would be very easy. Thank you.
Old 21 Jan 17, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi for coast ? 2 nights Monterey , 17 mile drive, evening in Carmel , whale watching from moss landing, fantastic. Then drive down coast stopping to see elephant seals at San Simeon and possible overnight at Santa Barbara , nice place nice bars restaurants. Suggest breakfast at the boat house Henry's beach
This sounds really nice. Is Monterey a two night stop? I'm not bothered about the aquarium but I love wandering around and just "being" somewhere.

What have you had at the Boathouse? I love hearing about food
Old 21 Jan 17, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Anne K
Imagineer

Anne K's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
5.5 hr flight from SD to NYC, lots of options.

Is MAN any good for you? There's new VS routes starting in the spring: SFO, BOS, JFK.

We've booked MAN to JFK, returning from BOS. Although we've got plenty miles, we paid for PE seats at £300 more than the reward seat taxes. Anyway, there were reward seat availbility on these routes, albeit for October, when I was looking earlier this week.

Edited at 08:22 PM.
Anne K is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Anne K View Post
5.5 hr flight from SD to NYC, lots of options.

Is MAN any good for you? There's new VS routes starting in the spring: SFO, BOS, JFK.

We've booked MAN to JFK, returning from BOS. Although we've got plenty miles, we paid for PE seats at £300 more than the reward seat taxes. Anyway, there were reward seat availbility on these routes, albeit for October, when I was looking earlier this week.
Probably not, but I appreciate the suggestion as I'd not considered it, and I like to have all the options. Heathrow is a treat for us compared to Gatwick, and Manchester would be worse than that. We could fly in theory from Exeter airport to MAN (EXT being extremely close to my house) but I can see there would be issues on the way home with flight timings and luggage, and I don't think I could book it all-in via rewards. Though I think I will look into that, just in case!
Old 22 Jan 17, 12:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again yes Monterey 2 nights, as I said would highly recommend whale watching from moss landing , sanctuary cruises. We were lucky enough to see 11 humpback whales along with sea otters and dolphins, alas no orcas( killer whales) The coast line is fantastic around the 17 mile drive to Carmel . Carmel at night is nice for a meal and drink, although the area with hotels and bars is away from the coast. The boathouse in Santa Barbara is nice as it is set right on the beach and just a great venue
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi again yes Monterey 2 nights, as I said would highly recommend whale watching from moss landing , sanctuary cruises. We were lucky enough to see 11 humpback whales along with sea otters and dolphins, alas no orcas( killer whales) The coast line is fantastic around the 17 mile drive to Carmel . Carmel at night is nice for a meal and drink, although the area with hotels and bars is away from the coast. The boathouse in Santa Barbara is nice as it is set right on the beach and just a great venue
Thank you