Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 3 Oct 16, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Millie86 View Post
TWhat sort of thing would you recommend in the evening? We're just expecting to dot about in the Gaslamp Quarter since we're close. Have dinner and hopefully find somewhere for a few cocktails perhaps. My husband loves BBQ restaurants so trying to seek out once of those and perhaps a good Mexican.
Well, San Diego isn't a big night life kind of place...outside of the nightclubs and bars, which you'll find plenty of in the Gaslamp Quarter. You could walk around Seaport Village, which is right next to the Marriott Marquis. They are open into the evenings. Most of the big attractions like Sea World and the Zoo close by evening time (unless it's summer or a major holiday like Christmas). I would avoid walking around Balboa Park at night though- during the daytime it's perfectly fine, but at night it's deserted and some areas are not well-lit. You could go to the theatre, which we have several of, or to the movies perhaps. Have a great time revisiting San Diego again! I hope your husband loves his first trip here.

Forgot to add the restaurant recommendations! For BBQ, you should try Phil's BBQ in Point Loma. It's a casual counter-service style place but it's some of the best in town. philsbbq/ There is a Kansas City BBQ place across the road from the Marriott Marquis, and it's famous for being a filming location for the "Top Gun" movie, but I hate to say it's not the best bbq. It's ok, but people go more for the movie connection. I haven't tried this place yet, but have heard good things about it...Gaslamp BBQ gaslampbbq/home/3217372

For Mexican food, I would first recommend Old Town park...a couple of good places in here. My favorite would be the Cafe Coyote cafecoyoteoldtown/...nearby is Miguel's Cocina and the Old Town Mexican Cafe, both also good. In the Gaslamp Quarter, near the Padres stadium is Lolita's...lolitasmexicanfood/

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941

Edited at 04:26 PM.
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Well, San Diego isn't a big night life kind of place...outside of the nightclubs and bars, which you'll find plenty of in the Gaslamp Quarter. You could walk around Seaport Village, which is right next to the Marriott Marquis. They are open into the evenings. Most of the big attractions like Sea World and the Zoo close by evening time (unless it's summer or a major holiday like Christmas). I would avoid walking around Balboa Park at night though- during the daytime it's perfectly fine, but at night it's deserted and some areas are not well-lit. You could go to the theatre, which we have several of, or to the movies perhaps. Have a great time revisiting San Diego again! I hope your husband loves his first trip here.

Forgot to add the restaurant recommendations! For BBQ, you should try Phil's BBQ in Point Loma. It's a casual counter-service style place but it's some of the best in town. philsbbq/ There is a Kansas City BBQ place across the road from the Marriott Marquis, and it's famous for being a filming location for the "Top Gun" movie, but I hate to say it's not the best bbq. It's ok, but people go more for the movie connection. I haven't tried this place yet, but have heard good things about it...Gaslamp BBQ gaslampbbq/home/3217372

For Mexican food, I would first recommend Old Town park...a couple of good places in here. My favorite would be the Cafe Coyote cafecoyoteoldtown/...nearby is Miguel's Cocina and the Old Town Mexican Cafe, both also good. In the Gaslamp Quarter, near the Padres stadium is Lolita's...lolitasmexicanfood/
Amy

Really great information thanks.

I have bookmarked Phil's BBQ and the Cafe Coyote.
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Amy

Really great information thanks.

I have bookmarked Phil's BBQ and the Cafe Coyote.
You're wecome! Phil's was even featured once on the Man vs Food tv program (if you're familiar with that).

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

You're wecome! Phil's was even featured once on the Man vs Food tv program (if you're familiar with that).
Oh yes love to watch it although I can't believe how much he gets through.

I'll have a look for that episode.

Just watched clip. Looks great.

Edited at 05:45 PM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Oh yes love to watch it although I can't believe how much he gets through.

I'll have a look for that episode.
I can't remember the exact date, but it was broadcast a few years ago, so look back at least 4-5 years or more.
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I can't remember the exact date, but it was broadcast a few years ago, so look back at least 4-5 years or more.
Sorry just seen clip on YouTube.

Looks great.
Old 3 Oct 16, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Mobile

Just watched clip. Looks great.
Wow, you found that quick! Great! Yes, the food is fantastic there and big portions. Go hungry!

Old 3 Oct 16, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Wow, you found that quick! Great! Yes, the food is fantastic there and big portions. Go hungry!
Will do

Old 13 Oct 16, 06:02 AM  
Link to this Post
kirkdalewdw
Imagineer

Aims, thank you for your tips passed to my OH (Whitequeen), we went to Mandarin house, the food was great and absolute massive portions compared back to the UK, so much if anyone goes, don't order a starter , though be wary if you get the male server we had, on us paying he counted the money out in front of us and tutted at the tip we left... his service was pretty crap as he had to be sent out of the kitchen to take our order and didn't come back and refill our drinks or ask how the meal was, he was lucky I left 10%

We did do the Old Town Mexican Cafe and that was great, really good food and I do recommend Snooze an AM Cafe, we couldn't get into the one on 5th Street as we couldn't park, but we drove out to the other one outside of San Diego, really good
kirkdalewdw is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 16, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kirkdalewdw View Post
Aims, thank you for your tips passed to my OH (Whitequeen), we went to Mandarin house, the food was great and absolute massive portions compared back to the UK, so much if anyone goes, don't order a starter , though be wary if you get the male server we had, on us paying he counted the money out in front of us and tutted at the tip we left... his service was pretty crap as he had to be sent out of the kitchen to take our order and didn't come back and refill our drinks or ask how the meal was, he was lucky I left 10%

We did do the Old Town Mexican Cafe and that was great, really good food and I do recommend Snooze an AM Cafe, we couldn't get into the one on 5th Street as we couldn't park, but we drove out to the other one outside of San Diego, really good
Hi kirkdalewdw I remember speaking with your OH. I am very glad to hear you had a great meal at the Mandarin House, but I am so shocked and very unhappy that you were unfortunate to get an awful waiter like that. Not good! That sort of crap makes me angry. Most servers wait until you've left the table before picking up the check, not counting out their tip in front of you. I think that's only happened to me once. Then to shame you for what you left, which was definitely more than he deserved, is totally inexcusable. I'm sorry that happened and hopefully you were able to laugh it off later! I'm so glad to hear you had other good experiences too. Snooze AM is a great place, I agree!

Thank you so much for coming back and giving me some feedback on your visit to San Diego! I love hearing how things turned out for everyone. Glad to have played even a small part in planning your visit.