Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Mar 14, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Car hire help!

We have booked with Virgin to fly to Florida in October. A "free" car is included in the package but to upgrade to an intermediate SUV they are quoting nearly £500 which includes fuel and an extra driver. Alamo Brits are quoting £330 but this doesn't include fuel.
Does anyone know how much fuel will cost and can I still use the "save time" and go straight to the garage at the airport as Brits doesn't let me pay for fuel until we arrive. I would like to pre pay fuel and bring the car back empty.
Any advice is really appreciated thanks.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Jollymon
Imagineer

Jollymon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I always bring the car back full, usually stop around the florida mall and fill up, still shows full by the time I get to the airport.

It's difficult to bring the car back empty and the rental companies charge through the nose for fuel

Sorry can't answer about Brits, always use Dollar.co.uk
Jollymon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post

get the Alamo brits car, you need the higher insurance package on Virgin to be covered and so this will add extra costs. Alamo has it included
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Jollymon
Imagineer

Jollymon's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Sorry to hijack thread

Is Alamo Brits that much cheaper? I got a quote yesterday for 28 day rental on an 8 seater minivan and it was £1200... Dollar coming in at £880
Jollymon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

If you fill up before heading back to the airport it will still show full when car is returned, You can book a car fully inclusive cheaper than Virgins add ons cost
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jollymon View Post
Sorry to hijack thread

Is Alamo Brits that much cheaper? I got a quote yesterday for 28 day rental on an 8 seater minivan and it was £1200... Dollar coming in at £880
ive found that alamo.co.uk/brits usually comes in within a few quid of the cheapest results each time im looking for hire, so go check!

as for the price of fuel, the SUV we had last time cost just under $40 to fill from empty. not sure how much alamo wanted to charge, as we didnt prepay and returned it full instead
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Thanks for all the replays guys. Looks like we might go with Alamo/Brits then. Does it have a full tank when I collect it then and I just make sure I bring it back full too?
Old 17 Mar 14, 03:57 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

yeah. all the cars come with a full tank at pickup...

prepaying just means you can return it empty

you have the option of not paying and returning it full, which is what i usually do - i fill it up before we set off for the airport, and then top it back up with around $5 at a gas station near the airport (just in case i ever ended up at one of those garages that charges silly money!)
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Mar 14, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by wanye View Post
yeah. all the cars come with a full tank at pickup...

prepaying just means you can return it empty

you have the option of not paying and returning it full, which is what i usually do - i fill it up before we set off for the airport, and then top it back up with around $5 at a gas station near the airport (just in case i ever ended up at one of those garages that charges silly money!)
Great stuff, that settled it and Alamo/Brits it is then. Thanks for all your help everyone:-)
Old 17 Mar 14, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post

I have now booked SUV for 2 weeks £273 which I'm really happy with, and whew will bring it back full. Thanks for the advice.
Closed Thread