Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 2 Jul 15, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Pinning for the Fjords - Day 5 Geiranger

Today was always planned to be the highlight of the trip as we had sailed deep into the Fjords. We had been advised that it was to be an early start if we wanted to see the full grandeur of the fjord.

So come 5:30 am the alarm sounded and we threw some clothes on and headed out to our balcony to watch the world sail by.

It was very cold so during a pause in the waterfull a run up to Deck 10 to grab some tea for Celia. Who was really feeling the cold.

Its also hard to believe but some people do live on the high cliffs of the Fjord.

Once we had made it to the docking point, we showered and had breakfast. Then althought it was drizzling as our Port Adventure was not until afternoon we decided to have a walk around the small town, we had noticed a small waterfall so that is what we decided to head towards.

Still recovering from the hike on Monday Celia turned around but I headed on to the top of the waterfall.

Instead of facing the stairs back down I took the road down instead.

Back on the Ship and a quick lunch we were ready to go biking. Again we headed to Fathoms and were taken to the bike shed to get kitted out with helmets, gloves and safety bib. It was a bit of mixture of kit but we were both able to get full gloves rather than racing mitts.

At the top of the Mountain IT WAS COLD, in fact it was SLEETING. And the snow was still very high. This was the only photo I got but it was significantly higher in places, over 6ft on the side of the road.

It seemed to take for ages to get going as we all (there were about 50 of us) tried to all find a bike that fitted and get sorted. But even after all the guests were ready the guides still seemed to be faffing about, as we all got colder and colder, did I mention it was cold and sleeting.

Finally we were on our way and after a small up hill section we started to head down the mountain. and WOW. Although the first small section was above the snow line it did soon stop sleeting and once we came below the snowline it was stunning, above it it was just WHITE.

We did stop a couple of times on the way down to take photos and as we got lower it got warmer (relatively as even at sea level it was only 7C) and we felt we could go quicker.

After just over an hour of actual cycling we had covered 16Km and dropped 1,000m of elevation. It was brilliant even if I had a slight crash at a hairpin bend as Celia had stopped and I couldn't sort my feet out in time.

Back on the ship I realised that I had in the space of 2 port adventures managed to use up both my pairs of Jeans I had brought with me, so decided to use the Laundrette facilities on board. These are easy to use, it is $1 for detergent and fabric softener sheets each, and $2 for the washing machine and $2 for 45 mins of drying time. But as the wash cycle takes 25 mins there seems to always be a wait for the dryers. but the time on teh machine seems closer to reality to our machine at home so you can pop away and keep an eye on the clock to get back just as it finishes. So I was able to grab some chicken tenders from Pete Boiler bites whilst I waited.

With the jeans washed and dried and both of us washed and dressed we headed off to the Walt Disney Theatre for tonights show. On the way we spotted Minnie with no queue so it would be rude just to walk by.

The show tonight was The Magic of Light featuring Evolution Dance Theatre, and WOW this was one of the best shows we have seen but very hard to describe.

This video gives some examples of the kind of black light and dance show we got

After the show as we went back through Preludes Mickey was now there so we stopped to say hi.

Back in the atrium a violinist was entertaining the crowd.

Dinner back at Lumieres we expected to be better as Panos the executive chef on the Disney magic came out to swear that they could cope with Celia's dietary issues and the main seemed to be OK and to make it up for us we would have a special meal the following day and the rest of the table agreed to have Indian food, but I went for a steak as I don't eat Indian. I know not really British. But as the rest of us when over the top for dessert, with 11 between 7 of us.

Celia's didn't arrive until we had all finished all of these and then it just appeared to be fruit in alcohol with a soya custard on top.

After the early start we were tired after dinner so a quick walk in the late night daylight and we headed back to the room for sleep.

2005 Sept- First Trip to WDW, Dec - First Trip to DLP
2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2009 May - 1 Day at DLR, Dec - Mousemeets DLP (Newport Bay)
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
2011 April - Dad's Funeral Aug - D23 Expo
2012 June - The "Work" trip to WDW.
2013 May - California First Class
2014 Oct - Cruising the Caribbean
2015 Jun - Pinning for the Fjords

Edited at 02:34 PM.
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Aug 15, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
That fjord looked amazing! Did you all have to say you were a certain standard of cyclist, or did you just split into fast and slow cyclists?
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 15, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

Nope just signed up for the bike ride. I assume they expect that you can cycle.

2008 Jan - Goofy Challenge at WDW (Poly), Jun - Solo Trip WDW, Nov - Hong Kong Disneyland
2010 June - The Big 40 in WDW (Beach Club) CANCELLED , Dec - WDW Oh we needed this
streamlines is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Sep 15, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Wow, what an adventure. Hope the views were worth the cold - sounds like they were!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 15, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post
streamlines
VIP Dibber

The views were stunning (the whole cruise was) but should we ever do this again (or Alaska) then I would take more warm clothes and plan better for what we woudl need to wear. At the top of the mountain we really needed full waterproofs (top and bottoms) and goggles due to the sleet.

Old 12 Nov 15, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post

That looks awesome, not sure my banjo legs could put up with cycling though ha ha!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 16, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Slartibartfast was right, the little crinkly bits do look lovely!
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List