Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 32
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Four States, One Big Adventure: Day 3 - The Day We Went To The Crown

Today, we rejoiced, as it was Monday which meant that the E Line was back up and running! Hoorah! That meant we could get a direct train to Downtown for our day!

It was another early wake up with us both stirring at 4.30am, but we didn’t get up until 6am. We left the hotel at 6.30am. We didn’t want to risk being late for Lady Liberty and knowing our luck with subways, we couldn’t afford to take any chances.

Once in Downtown, we picked up 3 donuts and 3 orange juices from Dunkin’ Donuts for us and Pauline, which came to $10.07. These were scrummy!

Matt and I wandered down to the Statue of Liberty Ferry where we were due to meet Pauline at 8am. Whilst walking through Battery Park, we saw the surviving sphere from the World Trade Center disaster.

We were three very excited beans for today as Pauline and I had been so excited when she booked her trip at the same time as us but we couldn’t get our other plans to match up

Once through security, we got onto the 8.30am departing ferry. I took so many photos of both the statue and the skyline, it was just amazing, I loved it! Matt told me off for taking too many pictures, he said it was unnecessary haha

When we arrived, we headed straight for the statue. We didn’t want the lines to build up. We walked up the pedestal and then the Crown (phew!) before seeing the museum/exhibit. The views were fab but because it’s small and through windows, the photos didn’t come out all that well.

Pauline is French and is a Statue of Liberty fan…she kept telling passers by that they were welcome haha

Not only was it a tough climb, but the steps were so tiny!

Once back on solid ground, we picked up a magnet, water and postcard for $6.28.

My own little Lady Liberty

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
We didn’t stay much longer before getting the ferry back to Downtown as we still had a lot planned for today and were against the clock as we had tickets for this evening. Pauline had planned to go to Ellis Island but instead decided to join us for the day, which was fine. It was nice to have someone else to chat to!

We opted for an early lunch once back, so our next stop was Shake Shack. I had heard amazing things about this place and it really did live up to expectations! We arrived at 11.30am, right before the rush, and ordered 2 Bacon Cheddar Shack Burgers, 1 normal fries, 1 bacon cheddar fries, 2 frozen custard milkshakes, and 1 soda, which came to $37.38.

After lunch, we wanted over to the 9/11 memorial. There isn’t much more to add here other than it is, clearly, very moving, especially knowing that we were here the day after the disaster.

This tree survived the collapse…astonishing when you see what happened to reinforced steel!

By now, it was 1pm and we were getting close to our One World Observatory (OWO) entry time of 2pm. We were told we could go in 30 minutes early so popped to Duane Reade for some drinks and a Nestle Tollhouse cookie sandwich (for Matt) ($8.50) and wandered through the shopping center.

OWO was fab, both for the views and the presentation/experience. It’s so much more ‘modern’ than ESB & TOTR. I know it sounds obvious but I don’t think I had been prepared for such an enhanced experience.

After some time wandering around here, taking in the views, we bought a magnet ($6.39). I would really recommend OWO, it’s a fantastic all round experience.

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
NatsyNoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
NatsyNoo
Imagineer

NatsyNoo's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Our next and penultimate stop was the 9/11 museum. We got here at 3pm and left at 4.30pm. I think sore feet were plaguing Matt and Pauline so they didn’t have the staying power. I saw everything but could easily have stayed for that time again, just reading and listening to the testimonials. I don’t think I had foreseen how engrossed I would be with this portion of our history. Again, it was just very moving and poignant here, and it really brought to life what happened on that dreadful day 15 years and 1 day prior.

What I hadn’t appreciated before we went is that the museum is built within the foundations of one of the towers so a lot of the construction that you see is of the destroyed towers

This was a plaque from the opening of the towers

Exhibits like this I found so emotive

The survivors steps…many survivors used these steps to escape. Funnily enough, they were in mint condition on the day but were damaged in the rubble removal exercise

The first mural was made in blue to represent the colour of the sky on 9/11/01

This is a part of the antenna of one of the towers

A surviving window pane

This was a brick from Bin Laden’s house which I think a soldier ‘rescued’ before it was demolished

As ever, we picked up a magnet ($4.50) from the museum before heading off.

Pauline was peckish so she bought a slice of pizza from around the corner. She also bought me a cheese one ($2.95) because I didn’t want to miss out.

After this, we caught the subway to our final stop, the Yankee Stadium. It was rush hour, so it was busy, but we got there in the end! We had to stand, our poor feet!

We arrived at the stadium at 6pm and climbed the ramp to our seats. We were at the top but the view was great. We could see everything that was going on. I have never watched baseball today but it was fairly easy to follow (like rounders) albeit slow moving.

For dinner, we got a chicken bucket for $20 and because I paid with my Mastercard, we got a free bottle of Pepsi. I don’t like Pepsi so I got a large Sierra Mist in a souvenier cup ($7). We also got a magnet for $5.44.

You would never know that Pauline was cheering for the Dodgers…she didn’t get it bless her lol

While the game only started at 7pm, we only stayed until 8.40pm. It had been a long day, Matt and I had an early start the next day because we were flying to LA for our next leg, and it was also a bit chilly. We felt we had had the experience of the game, and had enjoyed it (though preferred basketball…it was a bit more exciting!).

We caught the subway back to our hotel and said our goodbyes to Pauline when we parted ways in the middle. We also had some entertainment on the subway when a dance crew hopped on. It was very exhilarating in such a confined space!

We arrived back to the hotel at 10pm and we showered, packed and were in bed by 11pm. Needless to say it didn’t take long to fall asleep (albeit in the knowledge of a super early alarm tomorrow!)!

Natsynoo's Trippie Index
Old 3 Oct 16, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
florida girl
Imagineer

florida girl's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Another action packed day.You took some amazing photos from the OWO.

Too many photos,never 😄😄😄😄.
florida girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Wishing
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks for sharing the photos of the 911 museum. I couldn't face going on our last trip as I would find it too emotional. On our first trip to New York back in 1998 we went up the South Tower Observation deck. I'll never forget watching the footage of it tumbling down
Disney Wishing is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Another amazing day. Loving all your photos. I wish I had the effort levels to make a trip report as extensive as yours for all our trips!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 16, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
amymiller
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

OWO looks brilliant, it still wasn't open when i last went, so something to try should I go again. Nice to have the perspective from the bottom of Manhattan, makes you realise how big it is, Central Park looks miles away.

Your shake shack meal looks delicious, always been to Five Guys over it; but am penciling it in for the next time I'm in London to try.

Don't fancy those stairs to the crown of Statue of Liberty! Looks like you had perfect weather to enjoy the views.

Impressed with how quickly your writing the days up, well done! Great first section of the report.
amymiller is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post

You can never take too many pictures! It's always good having 2 people with cameras as I find Ben always gets a good picture of something I missed (tablet from sol). We didn't stay long for baseball either, we got there pretty late but good to have experienced it! Eek Disneyland next!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Just wow, seriously, I thought we fit a lot in on our first trip but this is insane. I cannot get over how much you covered in 2.5 days!

Your photos are fab, love the blue sky!

I'm considering OWO now, and the 9/11 museum, just so interesting although very somber too I imagine.

PS. What I wouldn't do right now for that Shake Shack burger!
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 16, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sweetemotion
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 114
Wow, you did so much in one day! I thought I went all out in cities, but knowing just how big NYC is I feel bad for your feet just reading this!

I'd love to visit NYC but I think 5/6 days would be be minimum for me.

Loving the trip report and can't wait to read about your time in Hawaii

WDW - 96, 99, 00, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 17
DLP - 98, 01, 02, 10 DLR - 11, 12, 14, 18 15
Las Vegas - 11, 12, 13x2, 14, 18x2
WDW Cast Member 17 - 18 14 U.S. States & Counting!
sweetemotion is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List