Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Dec 16, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Vancouver to San Diego - Where would you recommend?

We have booked our flights for the summer and have 4 weeks to explore starting in Vancouver and finishing in San Diego.

We have been to San Francisco, Pismo Beach, LA, Anaheim and San Diego before so pretty much know what to expect from that part of the trip but wondered if anyone had any 'must do's' for the areas that we will be in?

We are currently thinking of Vancouver, Seattle, Crater Lake, Reno, Sequoia then on to LA but are open to ideas - Any advice on things to see/places to stay/amazing experiences would be greatly appreciated
Orlandoaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
nabby
Getting Excited

What dates?
2006 Oasis Lakes
2008 The Fountains at BlueGreen
2009 The Fountains at BlueGreen
2013 Disney's Yacht Club Resort
2015 Disney's Coronado Springs Resort & Disney's Polynesian Village
nabby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Wow that sounds like a stunning trip! We did Seattle to San Francsico last year and fell in love with Washington and Oregon.

I would most definitely break up the journey between Seattle and Crater Lake. We had 4 nights in Seattle before heading to Portland for 2 nights and then going along the Columbia River Gorge for 2 nights at Hood River before down to Crater Lake. We underestimated how many times we would want to stop on this leg and should have really stayed overnight around Bend to make the best of it. The whole area is just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

We were there in June and there was a lot of overnight snow at Crater Lake! We stayed in the Lodge and loved it! Book now if you want to stay there otherwise it will be booked up! We also chanced upon Portland at the same time as the Rose Festival, which was amazing and a real stroke of luck.

I have a full trip report - Road Trip Seattle to San Francisco - if you want to have a look. Fee free with questions and happy planning!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by nabby View Post
What dates?
We are going in August.
Orlandoaddict is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 17, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post
Wow that sounds like a stunning trip! We did Seattle to San Francsico last year and fell in love with Washington and Oregon.

I would most definitely break up the journey between Seattle and Crater Lake. We had 4 nights in Seattle before heading to Portland for 2 nights and then going along the Columbia River Gorge for 2 nights at Hood River before down to Crater Lake. We underestimated how many times we would want to stop on this leg and should have really stayed overnight around Bend to make the best of it. The whole area is just jaw-droppingly beautiful.

We were there in June and there was a lot of overnight snow at Crater Lake! We stayed in the Lodge and loved it! Book now if you want to stay there otherwise it will be booked up! We also chanced upon Portland at the same time as the Rose Festival, which was amazing and a real stroke of luck.

I have a full trip report - Road Trip Seattle to San Francisco - if you want to have a look. Fee free with questions and happy planning!
Thank you for your reply - We are so excited I will definitely check out your trip report
Old 4 Jan 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoaddict
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by anji View Post

Have just finished reading your trip report - It all sounds amazing. Thank you so much for posting, I now have a long list of ideas that I need to include. Loving the look of the railway carriages and I'll need to rethink clothes now that I realise how cold it can get at Crater Lake, even in August
Old 4 Jan 17, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Glad you enjoyed it - I'd never done a trip report before but we had such a wonderful time I thought I'd give it a go!

I think you'll be ok in August. The whole perimeter road will be open then, along with the bus/trolley and the boat trip, so a great time to go.

Yes the railway carriages were wonderful - real good fun to climb up top with a glass of wine at night!

Have fun!

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 17, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
paw
Imagineer

We did San Diego to Seattle in 2015. We loved the Northern part far more than the Southern. The coast was beautiful and in addition to our stays in small hotels there we loved both Portland and Seattle. If we can we intend to return and do a circle tour from Seattle.
paw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 17, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
First of all, you might want to ask for this thread to be moved as I didnt see it hiding away under the trip reports area

In the summer we flew into Vancouver but didnt go as far south as you. We did Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Washington and Oregon.

The main things to think about is that Interstate 5 makes it one of the easiest trips you'll ever have to drive It starts in Vancouver as route 99 and carries on all the way down to Tijuana and beyond. I'd even booked our hotels before I realised that they were all within a mile of the I5 lol If we had headed on down to Disneyland it passes right by there as well.

Places to visit include Mt St Helens national park. Its a long drive even when in the park but worth it! Portland is the most laid back chilled city we have been to in the states. Seattle is ok but the front is a bit dingy. The Boeing factory is worth stopping by but even more so is the Aeroplane museum at Boeing fields.

The Columbia river gorge as mentioned above is a good days visit.

After lots of research we chose the following hotels if you need advice in that area, all are highly rated on TripAdvisor and we enjoyed our stays.

The Oak Bay Beach on Vancouver Island

The Inn at Northrup station in Portland

Silver Cloud Inn Seattle...an expensive city. The free breakfast, parking and transfers to the sights stood out and lovely views.

In Vancouver I used my HI points to stay at the Holiday Inn Broadway I think its called. The corner room we were given was huge with a big balcony and great view.

Rent DVC points at the Grand Californian at Disney?

Very jealous of your trip and I'll follow your planning with interest. Room for another?
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jan 17, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
nabby
Getting Excited

Will you be there on 21 August and could you be in Oregon?

We did San Francisco to Vancouver in 2012, by rail and coach (All on Amtrak).

Highlights for us were:

Alcatraz
Boat trip from Sausalito to San Francisco
Napa Valley, visiting Beringer and Inglenook Wineries
Train from Oakland to Portland overnight
OMSI Science Museum in Portland
Seattle
Mount Rainier National Park
NorthWest Trek Wildlife Park in Washington
Vancouver
Granville Island
Seasons In The Park Restaurant at sunset
Bloedel Conservatory

Lowlights were the large numbers of homeless people in the bigger cities.

We're back in the Pacific Northwest this August, flying in and out of Seattle.

The reason I'm asking about the dates specifically is that there is going to be a total solar eclipse on 21 August around 10am and it will be in Oregon first before it travels east and south east across the USA. We've made arrangements to see it as it is also our daughter's birthday that day
2006 Oasis Lakes
2008 The Fountains at BlueGreen
2009 The Fountains at BlueGreen
2013 Disney's Yacht Club Resort
2015 Disney's Coronado Springs Resort & Disney's Polynesian Village
nabby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List