Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 7 Aug 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Wow thanks everyone for the fantastic replies! Loads of useful info here which will really help us having never been here (or Italy at all) before!

We are staying at the Hotel Grand President. The views look amazing.
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Love Sorrento! We have been a couple of times, and used AP Tours to do amazing day trips, to Herculanneum, and also pizza making, was so much fun! The tour company is run by an english lady, Sarah, she was so helpful. Herculanneum had so much more to see than Pompeii, and half the walking.
Making pizzas was the best fun ever, the chef was really funny, and we enjoyed eating them afterwards! Highly recommend.

aptours.it/

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816

Edited at 09:04 PM.
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:03 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Been to Italy plenty and Sorrento is the best vacation base I have found. Just so much to see and do.. and with a break within a break to Rome for a few days so easy also. The train from Naples to Rome takes 1 hour 11 minutes without any stops.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyMadAng
Imagineer

Mobile

PS. I'm envious too actually I'm jealous 😂
DisneyMadAng is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Aug 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

We’ve been to Sorrento twice (1st time pre Euro, the increase in prices just through that was phenomenal). I’d love to go back. We took in a Napoli game which was possibly a bit unusual for the average guest. When we asked the guy who worked on the hotel reception if there was a game on and how to get there he couldn’t have been happier or more helpful. Just take a train and follow the blue shirts he said. At the time his advice was just to buy a ticket from someone standing outside the ground, which we did. Had a pizza in a little pizzeria next to the ground with a bottle of wine and had a great time. We did an organised trip to Pompeii and Vesuvius combined (morning in Pompeii, afternoon at Vesuvius) which I loved. As we went on an organised trip we went for lunch as a tour group. We had thought about splitting off at this point but the tour guide had arranged a hefty discount for the group and I’m Scottish. The same applied when we went to Capri for the day. I’ve got to say that it was nice but nothing to rush back for. A walking tour around Sorrento was nice and we visited a factory shop which made beautiful inlaid veneer furniture however that was out of our price range. A bus trip to Amalfi was hair raising but enjoyable. We took a boat trip along the coast with its wonderful views. I want to go back now.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
Wow thanks everyone for the fantastic replies! Loads of useful info here which will really help us having never been here (or Italy at all) before!

We are staying at the Hotel Grand President. The views look amazing.
We stayed at the Hotel Grand Vesuvio - just up the road. The whole area there (to the back of all the hotels) is full of lemon groves - the smell is amazing.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 20, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

We stayed in Sorrento in August 2012 (can't believe it was that long ago) and loved it.

We stayed at the Hotel Continental with great views of the harbour and sunsets.

We waked down to the harbour one day and then back up to the town before discovering there is lift that goes down through the cliff from a nearby park. (It's marked on Google maps.)

Pompeii was very interesting but very little shade in August so prepare accordingly. (If you prepare yourself for a day in Epcot car park at the height of summer you should be OK.)

Most of the trips we did were arranged by our tour operator who scared DH into buying them by telling tales of lightning rail strikes. I think the trains were running all the time we were there but he was happier in a group.

Have fun, it is very beautiful.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
We stayed at the Hotel Grand Vesuvio - just up the road. The whole area there (to the back of all the hotels) is full of lemon groves - the smell is amazing.
We nearly booked that one, it really was a tough choice between the two!
Old 10 Aug 20, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by neilhd View Post
We nearly booked that one, it really was a tough choice between the two!
I think they are very similar. In which case I would say take some soft soled shoes for the room. They are tiled floors in all the hotels out there and the constant step step step of heels and hard leather shoes - just in our own room - got on my nerves after a bit, but did not want to go barefoot on the tiles.

Did you go for a sea view? We didn't (we were "poor" honeymooners back then!) but were not disappointed as the lemon groves were ripening up and the scent was amazing.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
I think they are very similar. In which case I would say take some soft soled shoes for the room. They are tiled floors in all the hotels out there and the constant step step step of heels and hard leather shoes - just in our own room - got on my nerves after a bit, but did not want to go barefoot on the tiles.

Did you go for a sea view? We didn't (we were "poor" honeymooners back then!) but were not disappointed as the lemon groves were ripening up and the scent was amazing.
No, a sea view was many hundreds of pounds more per room, and given there is an enormous terrace on which to sit and enjoy a drink, that money might be better spent on cocktails whilst enjoying the view!