Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 30 Aug 20, 06:55 AM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We stayed at the Hilton Long Beach which was nice.
abiknox is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We stayed on the Queen Mary for a night in 2018 and it was awesome. I highly reccomend a night on board.

Having said that, I would not stay for longer than a couple of nights. The area is a little isolated and run down. There did not appear any restaurants or amenities nearby etc. You are effectively paying to stay in a historic monument with all of the compromises that you might expect.

If in the area again, then I would most certainly rebook... but for 2 nights maximum.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Jessie2012
Very Serious Dibber

We’ve stayed at the Hyatt Regency Long beach, which was fine.It was in a good location opposite the Shoreline Village boardwalk place with lots of shops, bars and eateries.We went on the Queen Mary for a day visit, then back in the evening-lots of nice cocktails!
Jessie2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
TheGrahams
Apprentice Imagineer

We stayed in an Airbnb which was just near beach and was a really good price, 2 bedrooms and bathrooms, larger kitchen dining room, living room.

It was close to ship, W and walk there a few times but still in middle of busy area
, great shop and restaurants nearby

Billy , Liz , Liam & Gemma
TheGrahams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 20, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by folkie View Post
Hi Stitchbounce, small world - not sure if we've chatted about this before, but my son Tom is captain of Team Monsoon

You must go to the filming if you get the chance again. We had full pit access as the unofficial team support - great fun, but you get a much better view of the fights from the audience! You're right though, the venue might well have to change for next year (the building has actually been sold and I believe the new owners take possession at the end of October), I know Greg would like to keep it around that area if he can but Vegas has also been suggested for the future - but who knows at this stage.

Up until this year the teams stayed in the Norwalk DoubleTree. My husband and I stayed there in 2018 as we flew out for the weekend when Monsoon was confirmed as being in the final 16 (they reached the final 8 in the end). However that's quite an expensive hotel and isn't actually very close to the filming venue.

Last year we decided to take our daughter and go out for the whole of filming so had rather more time to plan. I did a lot of research and settled on the Pacific Inn at Seal Beach. I was so glad we did, it was great. Nothing fancy, just a good family-friendly hotel, a short walk from the beach in a really nice neighbourhood - largely residential with lots of small shops and restaurants, a proper small holiday resort. It was quite a bit closer to the filming venue than the team hotel.

Breakfast was help-yourself, quite simple but there was always fresh fruit, muffins, a waffle machine, cereals and some hot options.
There were free cookies and a coffee/hot chocolate machine in reception.
It also has a small pool (outdoors in a courtyard but nice and warm, even in April) and plenty of parking under the main building. We had a deluxe room for the three of us with two queen beds, a balcony, fridge and microwave.

There were several families of fans who stayed there for a few days at a time for filming as well. We'd gladly stay there again.

I always take far too many photos and I run their website, so there are lots of photos and videos on the media page of their website, so maybe some of those will help to tide you over. Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer.
Unless things change very quickly, like most of the international teams they've had to pull out this year, but Monsoon Mk3 is ready and they'll be back next year.

I dont think we've spoken because I would have remembered as that is awesome. My partner loves monsoon! When we discovered we weren't going I brought one of the custom t shirts on battlebots store in monsoon for my partner. The price of the shipping and import fees were not kind but his face made it all worth it. Safe to say we are big monsoon fans and wanted them to bring home the nut!

That's our worry about the location changing, however we are pretty much happy to follow battle bots where ever they go. Thank you for the recommendations we will look into them. I know battlebots is always a last minute book but I love to have a few ideas and a plan.

That's such excitement! Honestly, we cannot wait to be able to see them and other teams battle it out properly next year providing all is safe for everyone.

Thanks so much for your reply its brightened our day
Old 30 Aug 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitchbounce
slightly serious Dibber

Thanks everyone I'm off to check out some of these hotels and air b and b options so that we have a plan. Ideally we wouldnt stay in the area for long but it will all depend on filming and our budget to be close. Well unless I can convince the partner to drive, which I'm working on!
Old 30 Aug 20, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
That's so lovely that you're Monsoon fans! Obviously the team are all so disappointed, but Monsoon is ready to go when they get the green light.
Regarding driving, if you decide to drive I'd recommend not picking up the car from LAX when you arrive, you'll be very tired and jet-lagged and it's not a very nice drive from the airport, lots of multi-lane highway and very busy indeed at times. However once you're in the Long Beach area it's much easier.
So I'd get a taxi or uber to the hotel then pick up the car from another local office, maybe Long Beach airport or another location. It'll be a smaller office so probably not as much choice of cars, but a lot easier to do after a good night's sleep.
It's also worth "driving" the route on Streetview first.

I'm about to send you a PM, can you check your messages please?
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List