Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 17, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

We lost our cavalier in July and we are now just starting to look at getting another. We've registered our interest with a breeder who has a litter due at the end of the month. She has already been in contact and effectively interviewed my dh over the phone, asking questions about home life, work, why we wanted a dog.
It's a four hour round trip to where she lives, which we are prepared to make so we can see the parents, both of which she owns. This will reassure us and hopefully show her we are genuine. This is a great thread with some good tips which I'm going to write down to ask the breeder about.
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
My friend had a litter of working cockers this year but we weren't prepared enough and I wasn't sure we could do enough for a working cocker. We've looked at show cockers. My Grandad had a springer who was a great dog firmly attached to my grandad. I'm not getting a dog until I'm 110% certain we are right for the breed. We've also considered a schnauzer. I keep going back to spaniels. At the moment I'm home 4 1/2 days a week and would go home at lunchtime on my two full days. If I have to increase my hours which I will I need to fit round having a dog at home.
I have two show cockers and can recommend an excellent breeder if a cocker is what you decide on. All her dogs and puppies are health tested too. Out dogs are so loving and have a great temperament.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I have two show cockers and can recommend an excellent breeder if a cocker is what you decide on. All her dogs and puppies are health tested too. Out dogs are so loving and have a great temperament.
Can you pm me the details pls and where they are based. Thankyou.x
Old 12 Sep 17, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
dizzymcfarlane
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by marypoppins38 View Post
I'd like their details too please. Thank you.
dizzymcfarlane is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
We spent ages researching the breed that was right for us and contacted several KC assured breeders by phone. One recommended we go to an owners and breeders club show where we got to meet lots of dogs and their owners.

I can't recommend that highly enough. They made us feel really welcome and we got to find out all the good - and bad - points and traits of the breed and made direct contact with breeders.

Based on that, we were offered a puppy from one breeder we met there who had some on the way and visited her at her home (5 hours each way) to see the pups and their mum shortly after they were born and received regular updates before he was ready to collect.

We are still in regular contact with her several years later.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

We found both of our pups (both Springers; one English, one Welsh) on Pets4Homes.

I was a little naive when we bought Luna but with Skye I practically made the breeder write an essay for me!

Things to ask your potential breeder include:-

Will they be KC registered?
Have the sire/dam been Health Tested, if so what were there results?
What is the puppies flea/worming schedule?
Will the puppies be available to view with mother and if possible father?
What environment will the pups be raised in (indoor, outdoor, with other pets or children?)
Will the puppy come with a starter pack?
What will they be weaned onto?
Will they have started their vaccination course when leaving the breeder?
Have they been vet checked?
Will they be microchipped (law now but many still don't!)?
Will the puppies be docked/dew claws removed (we prefer full tails on our Springers which is why we ask)?

That's all I can think of right now but I'm sure there is more!

Here are our girls. Luna has just turned 1, Skye is 17 weeks

Old 12 Sep 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Aww they are gorgeous. I've found a breeder locally and I've asked to go and pay a visit. My friend is also planning a litter of working cockers next year. I'm not in a rush.

Edited at 10:26 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 11:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have you tried the Dogs Trust? Our local DT have lots of puppies in and from experience it's so rewarding to rehome. Good luck finding your perfect pal
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List