Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Oct 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
EJSakaAnna
Imagineer

Mobile

I vaguely remember watching coverage of Princess Diana’s death, but I was too young to understand.
I was 10 when 9/11 happened, my best friend always came home from school with us on a Tuesday then my mum took us to Girls Brigade. We sat watching Newsround in my room and knew it was big, horrible news.
EJSakaAnna is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:20 PM  
Link to this Post
married2mm
Imagineer

married2mm's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
This thread is so interesting-obviously some sad stories-but a fascinating insight into our ages

The only news story I vividly recall was the death of elvis. We were on holiday & the whole caravan site went into mourning.

I was definitely shielded as a child-I don't recall watching any news at home-ever!
I remember I had never heard a 'naughty word' until I was in secondary school:
married2mm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
katizim
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

For me, it was Princess Diana's death. I was 10 and remember it so vividly. It seems that sparked a downward spiral; with the Omagh bombing, 9/11, the Soham murders, Milly Dowler's murder, the tsunami, and 7/7 all springing to mind from my adolescent years. I don't recall any major news prior to Diana's death, but now it seems to be every week. The innocence of youth, I suppose.
katizim is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
From memory it was the Lockerbie Plane Crash. We had just returned to Edinburgh after living in the USA for 3 years with my dads work. We flew home Pan Am a week prior to it happening.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Poppycat
Imagineer

Poppycat's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Elvis, my Mum's absolute favourite singer/idol, so it was huge news and the 1976 drought and John Noakes taking a shower in swimming trunks on Blue Peter to show how little water it used.

Vague memories of Soda Bread recipes on TV because of a bread shortage ? No idea when that was.
Poppycat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pepsicube View Post
Moon landing, we all gathered round the TV in the school hall, think it was Apollo 12 in Nov 1969, I was 5.
It was Apollo 11 on July 20th 1969. Since you were 5 years old I'll forgive you!
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
axxxl
Imagineer

9/11 for me. I was 8 at the time. I actually had a recurring nightmare afterwards in which planes and bombs were coming down in my street!

I also remember the coverage of the Soham murders quite well.

Edited at 09:58 PM.
axxxl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mummys_girl84
Proud to wear my Ears

Living in northern ireland my first vivid memory is of the shankill bombing when i was 7..when 9 innocent people were killed on a saturday afternoon by a bomb planted in a fish shop...turns out my current boyfriend, who is 15 years older than me, went to that very fish shop every saturday afternoon however on that particular day he was called into work for overtime...doesnt bear thinking about what could have happened had he not went to work that day
Mummys_girl84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Another couple was
power cuts Set days for having no electricity
sugar shortage
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 17, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Oh and the 3 day week
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List