Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Sep 19, 06:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Kilkobeano
Trying for More Ears

Mobile BA seat allocation

We are travelling with children age 12 and 9 so I am guessing that BA will allocate our seats in advance? Does anyone know if that’s done a few days before or just the day before when you can do online check in? And if we wanted to change those seats I guess we would have to pay the usual fees? Thanks
Kilkobeano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
It’s usually 5 days before the flight. Your return flight will be 5 days before that one (ie they don’t allocate both legs at the same time).
Old 26 Sep 19, 07:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Tiggers Pal
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

The official line from their website is 3 days before travel but it’s usually somewhere between 3 and 7 days before. You can change them free of charge when online check-in opens but if you want to change them before that then yes you would have to pay.
Tiggers Pal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Kilkobeano
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Thanks both that’s very helpful.
Kilkobeano is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Just bear in mind that BA don't class your 12 year old as a child for seat allocation purposes. It's highly likely you will all be sat together as BA seem to be sensible and have a good reputation on seating, and I definitely don't want to spark off the whole paying/not paying for seats debate. I just wanted to make sure you knew that the 12 year old won't come under their seat allocation policy for children. I was surprised the age cutoff was 12 and thought it was a bit young.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by GALE88 View Post
Just bear in mind that BA don't class your 12 year old as a child for seat allocation purposes. It's highly likely you will all be sat together as BA seem to be sensible and have a good reputation on seating, and I definitely don't want to spark off the whole paying/not paying for seats debate. I just wanted to make sure you knew that the 12 year old won't come under their seat allocation policy for children. I was surprised the age cutoff was 12 and thought it was a bit young.
As the OP is also travelling with a 9 year old, they’ll be allocated seats ahead of check in. We have decided to pay for seats next year with Avios points, as our youngest will be 12.
Old 26 Sep 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
GALE88
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
As the OP is also travelling with a 9 year old, they’ll be allocated seats ahead of check in. We have decided to pay for seats next year with Avios points, as our youngest will be 12.
I'm glad to hear that. We traveled with a 9 and 12 year old this year and my interpretation of their policy was a little more pessimistic. As I understand it, BA only have to sit one adult with the 9 year old in order to fulfill their policy of sitting a child with their accompanying adult. So in theory they could put the rest of the family elsewhere, possibly splitting the 12 year old up from the rest of the family.
However, I don't want to scaremonger as I highly doubt BA would do this. Its not as if they're Ryanair.
GALE88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mason1 View Post
BA’s policy would be to have an adult with the 9 year old not to sit the entire family together, the policy is to ensure saftely of a child under 12 not for the good of the whole family, but others have said most of the time BA are pretty good
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Sep 19, 04:45 AM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
BA’s policy would be to have an adult with the 9 year old not to sit the entire family together, the policy is to ensure saftely of a child under 12 not for the good of the whole family, but others have said most of the time BA are pretty good
That is BA's minimum. There policy is to sit the family together whereever possible. They try to keep all parties together, not just those with children and seem to be very sucessful baring late plane changes.

BA allocate families with children at 7-5 days out and the rest are given seats at 3 days (although not shown), so families with children have a very very high chance of being together because BA seat maps 6 days out (after bronze would have booked) to MCO and TPA are usually 'wide open' or less than 50% allocated in economy, so sitting families together should not be an issue. This is probably because Ba's high prices for seat allocation put people off paying to book seats.

Using the 'Is my flight full' thread will give an indication on load and if used correctly as the flight gets nearer should save families money from the fear factor of being split.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Sep 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by fredflintstone View Post
That is BA's minimum. There policy is to sit the family together whereever possible. They try to keep all parties together, not just those with children and seem to be very sucessful baring late plane changes.

BA allocate families with children at 7-5 days out and the rest are given seats at 3 days (although not shown), so families with children have a very very high chance of being together because BA seat maps 6 days out (after bronze would have booked) to MCO and TPA are usually 'wide open' or less than 50% allocated in economy, so sitting families together should not be an issue. This is probably because Ba's high prices for seat allocation put people off paying to book seats.

Using the 'Is my flight full' thread will give an indication on load and if used correctly as the flight gets nearer should save families money from the fear factor of being split.
Hello fredflintstone - just tried to send a PM and your message box is full
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List