Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Nov 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Big Belle
Imagineer

Geordie and proud

DLP New Year 1993, May 05, Mar 07, Jan17 and Sept 22
Orlando 1986, 1991, 1994, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017 & 2023
Big Belle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 01:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Twin mummy
Imagineer

Twin mummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
It's interesting that lots of people hadn't heard of RP (Received Pronunciation). I teach at a Northern prep school and lots of the children speak RP whereas the staff have a wide variety of accents. Since teaching there I have started to add R's in some words much to the amusement of my Northern children and Southern husband.
I was talking to my girls earlier about accents and they said that some of their friends think they "talk posh" whereas they think other friends have much posher accents.
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Brennanhough
Excited about Disney

I am a proper Dee-Dar! For those who dont know, its a Sheffield Accent.

Wifes is from about 40 minutes away - she literally has no idea what I am saying probably 30% of the time, especially when we argue. Probably a good thing.

The kids slip the odd word in - Reyt been one of the most common ones. And they 100% call them bread cakes, partly because of my insistence to call them that. She wasn't pleased last week when the boy said is jeans had an 'Oyl in the knees

Edited at 10:14 AM.
Brennanhough is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I love accents, I think many are getting diluted now, possibly because of television and people moving about more.
Two of my grandchildren who live in Cambridgeshire with an Essex Dad and Bolton Mum are slightly "bilingual" but since they have been at full time school a lot of the northern has disappeared.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Irish accented with a touch of Essex and an addition of Spanish... in other words Not the queens English
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I love accents, I think many are getting diluted now, possibly because of television and people moving about more.
Two of my grandchildren who live in Cambridgeshire with an Essex Dad and Bolton Mum are slightly "bilingual" but since they have been at full time school a lot of the northern has disappeared.
My grandson who was four when he moved to Nottinghamshire last year has already changed from his hove accent to a more local one...
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Born in the East End, My accent is more London / Home Counties, not quite 'Sloane Square Posh' but with baseline London, I live in Norfolk and they all think I'm posh! Hah! I think not
2003 - 25th Wedding anniv. St Lucia, 2004 - Quality Inn Kissimmee
2006 - Bahama Bay Davenport
2007,2008 and 2010 Nov, Windwood Bay
May 2009 Ballys, Las Vegas
Nov 2012 Lindfields Villa.
Nov 2011, 2013. 2014 & 2015 2016, 2017, 2018, Terrace Ridge
Nov 2019 Grand Reserve, 2022 The Manors at Westridge
kraftikris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Magicsky
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

A very welsh accent 💖
Magicsky is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Ds2 shares a flar with 6 others, I love hearing all the different accents.
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:29 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by kraftikris View Post
Born in the East End, My accent is more London / Home Counties, not quite 'Sloane Square Posh' but with baseline London, I live in Norfolk and they all think I'm posh! Hah! I think not
Years ago someone from Manchester told us they thought all Southerners sounded posh because we talk like the Queen. I don't think HM would be too impressed but I have noticed a touch of mockney from William.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List