Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 12 Sep 17, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile How to find a decent dog breeder

We've thought about getting a dog for a long time. I think we've narrowed down the breed. I've been doing loads of research. I've looked on the kennel club at specific breeders in my area. I need to change my hours at work so I can come home at lunchtime so it wouldn't be left any longer than 4 hours. How can you find a decent breeder that isn't churning out puppies for profit? We would love a springer. Was given a breeder name but they have huge amounts of puppies. Won't be seriously looking until next year when I can take a longer holiday to settle it in. Thought long and hard about a rescue dog too.
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:19 AM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

I would say that keep doing what you're doing now and research. Do you have to get one from a local breeder? We got our Eurasier from a breeder in Norfolk, and is just over 3 hours away, but we did speak to a breeder in the Lake District - we live in NW London. Also, visit the breeder, meet the older dogs that they have so you can see how they are looked after and their temperament. A good breeder should be more than happy to meet you face-to-face and let you meet their dogs and answer any questions you might have.

There's a strong argument for a rescue dog and there are probably Springer rescue groups too. We chose not to have a rescue as we live with my mum and she can be a little unsteady on her feet and we didn't want to chance having an unpredictable dog that we couldn't cope with... if it had just been DD and myself, I'd have gone for a rescue.

Good luck!

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Thanks we live in Norfolk. If I have to travel that's fine. I don't want to make a mistake so I want as much info as I can. We have a very spoilt cat who isn't very fond of my sisters two cockerpoos. We've had them a few times when she goes away. My cat has developed a mild tolerance of them. We've never had a puppy and we really want to do the training with a puppy from the start.
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We knew we wanted a chocolate lab puppy and looked on the pets4home website , we didn't have a specific timeframe so happy to wait for a breeder that was right for us . I.e. Not hundreds of miles away and a decent price ( not too cheap or expensive ).

By chance one came up about 10 miles from us and we went along to have a look . Lovely couple in their 60s who had 5 labs but only bred litters occasionally and you could tell they loved their dogs .
The breeder was pretty strict about who had her puppies, if you worked all day you couldn't have one and she really made sure you understood what a commitment dogs are ( we'd had dogs before though).

I wouldn't buy a puppy off a local Facebook advertising page .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:28 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
Thanks we live in Norfolk. If I have to travel that's fine. I don't want to make a mistake so I want as much info as I can. We have a very spoilt cat who isn't very fond of my sisters two cockerpoos. We've had them a few times when she goes away. My cat has developed a mild tolerance of them. We've never had a puppy and we really want to do the training with a puppy from the start.
I wanted a pedigree puppy , we wanted a dog that fitted in with how we live and that's much easier with a puppy as you can train then from the start.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:30 AM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Mobile

We found our breeder through the kennel club. Many of them have their own website. She only occasionally had litters so we were in contact for quite a while before her dog had a litter. We went down to see the puppies and meet mum and dad and her other dogs. It was very much a case of her interviewing us to see if we would be suitable to have one of her puppies. We really liked her and all her dogs were adorable and very much loved. We now have two dogs from her and they are fantastic. Please also check whether the dogs have been health tested for any genetic problems or if they are genetically clear.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Black cat
Getting Excited

Try this site, we've just bought a pup from a breeder from here.
Lots of good advice and information on the links therein.
champdogs/info/puppybuyer
Black cat is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:44 AM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Champ Dogs is a good website. Their listings have the health testing results and pedigrees for their litters, so you can really do your homework.

Also look into health testings - what tests are recommended for the breed, and have they been done. Don't let anyone fob you off with how they aren't necessary or how their puppies are vet checked which is the same thing (it isn't). Health testing is not expensive these days, there is no excuse for not doing it.
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

I've been looking at champdogs good to hear good reviews.
Old 12 Sep 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Thanks all lots of good advice. With DD off to uni DS 14 will be on his own a bit more he loves having my sisters two and it feels like the company would do him good. We live 2 mins from the beach so lots of walks.