Notices

Old 8 Sep 21, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I disagree, I have no issue travelling at the moment. I'd prefer not to have to pay for testing, but I'd probably be less confident in the safety of travel if testing was scrapped rather than more confident.

I think you are confusing confidence with affordability. I'd prefer to pay more and have some level of confidence the person sat next to me probably doesn't have COVID
I have no confidence to travel at the moment because of the risk of being stranded abroad. Nothing to do with fear of catching covid or affordability concerns, but the uncertainty. Because this country has decided that its vaccinated residents still require two tests to enter, despite months of telling us that jabs would be the way back to normal life.

As Andy says, there could be people on the flight who have contracted Covid between testing and boarding. So testing is more for appearing safe rather than actually being safe. And a flight has no greater risk than the many activities we can do locally either with no requirements at all or by showing vaccination status.

Edited at 09:17 AM.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nanna Frozen View Post
We canít eliminate risk but we can reduce it. I would rather know people sitting near me on the plane have been tested, of course the system isnít perfect, but to me itís better than a free for all.

Do I wish we didnít have to pay hundreds of pounds for tests? Of course I do, but I will pay it for just a bit more peace of mind,knowing that it isnít a perfect solution.
It's not really about the costs, its more the worry of being stuck abroad which unfortunately is not viable for so many people and will sadly mean no holidays for many.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:00 AM  
Link to this Post
MickeyYay
Apprentice Imagineer

I just canít see them scrapping tests at this point.

I can see the purpose of tests but think the costs of them need to be capped much better.
MickeyYay is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:07 AM  
Link to this Post
CarolynU
Imagineer

CarolynU's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I have no confidence to travel at the moment because of the risk of being stranded abroad. Nothing to do with fear of catching covid or affordability, concerns, but the uncertainty. Because this country has decided that its vaccinated residents still require two tests to enter, despite months of telling us that jabs would be the way back to normal life.

As Andy says, there could be people on the flight who have contracted Covid between testing and boarding. So testing is more for appearing safe rather than actually being safe. And a flight has no greater risk than the many activities we can do locally either with no requirements at all or by showing vaccination status.
Thatís exactly what I worry about and I know someone personally that this happened to. He was double jabbed, asymptomatic and it was a complete shock when his LFT to fly home was positive followed by his PCR.
If you also factor in that sometimes you donít then test negative again for up to 90 days thatís a long time that you could be stranded and unable to fly home.
Every country then has different rules as to what happens to you. Some countries fund your quarantine but in some quite horrible places, some you are free to self fund your own accommodation for as long as it takes and some have quite nice specific hotels that you are taken to but again self funded. You donít have a choice itís up to the host country to decide.
Does your insurance cover this? Some may but might not so you need to ask questions and read the small print.
Some countries allow your travelling partners to travel home if they test negative and some donít they must stay too.
This is a minefield. The cost of the tests does not deter me from travelling at all, but the prospect of being stranded does!

Edited at 09:10 AM.
CarolynU is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by loldis View Post
I have no confidence to travel at the moment because of the risk of being stranded abroad. Nothing to do with fear of catching covid or affordability, concerns, but the uncertainty. Because this country has decided that its vaccinated residents still require two tests to enter, despite months of telling us that jabs would be the way back to normal life.

My daughter flew into LHR a few weeks back. Was put in the line with another flight, no social distancing etc. She took her departure test on Saturday flew home Monday. In theory she could have gone to the supermarket, club, in practice she sat in an airport.

Personally I've no issue with a day two test but even those need to be more regulated. Daughters day two test took ages to come back about5/6 days in the meantime...
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
My daughter flew into LHR a few weeks back. Was put in the line with another flight, no social distancing etc. She took her departure test on Saturday flew home Monday. In theory she could have gone to the supermarket, club, in practice she sat in an airport.

Personally I've no issue with a day two test but even those need to be more regulated. Daughters day two test took ages to come back about5/6 days in the meantime...
I'm looking at a short trip to DLP at the moment. And the ridiculousness is that I could test before I left home, take a flight, spend two days in the parks and then use that at home test as my proof to board the return flight. Even though I've theoretically been more at risk of Covid post-test than I have been throughout the entire pandemic combined. Hence why I think it's for the appearance of safety.

I don't even care if they keep the day two test if they still want the sequencing data. It's only the pre-flight requirement that is the issue for me.

Edited at 09:19 AM.
loldis is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

mrmoo123's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The Day 2 test makes absolute no sense - it isn't even monitored ! The only thing it gives you is a reference number so you can complete your form. No one will check if you take that test or not - so someone tell me what is the point?!

Even if it WAS monitored, it still makes no sense - as someone already mentioned, you could have come home, seen your family, been to the supermarket, been back to work etc. by the time you do the test, let alone then wait a further several days for the results. By then if you have covid, you have more then likely already spread it... so again, what is it achieving here?!
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
rudie111
slightly serious Dibber

If I were going abroad I would limit my exposure to others as much as possible in the run up. I'm all for living life but no way I would risk a club/concert/cinema a few days before getting on a plane!
rudie111 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by 123 View Post
I disagree, I have no issue travelling at the moment. I'd prefer not to have to pay for testing, but I'd probably be less confident in the safety of travel if testing was scrapped rather than more confident.

I think you are confusing confidence with affordability. I'd prefer to pay more and have some level of confidence the person sat next to me probably doesn't have COVID
But the tests are taken a few days before so they technically could have covid at time of flight. Its just all money making, said before I could sit on a train 4hrs to london and dont need test.
Donz1979 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Sep 21, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Andy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Donz1979 View Post
But the tests are taken a few days before so they technically could have covid at time of flight. Its just all money making, said before I could sit on a train 4hrs to london and dont need test.
Agreed, its all now for 'show'- they have to be 'seen' like they are doing it for safety when in reality its for money and safety has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Hoping at least one of the tests is scrapped by October 1st.
Mr Andy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List