Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Oct 21, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mrmoo123
Imagineer

Atlanta - experiences?

Thinking of flying into Atlanta and then driving down to Orlando... has anyone done this route and like to share their experiences?
Old 5 Oct 21, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Bananaman
VIP Dibber

I've done it a couple of times a long time ago when I lived in the Atlanta area. It's OK if you don't mind sitting on the interstate for hours on end because it's about a 450 mile drive so maybe 8 or so hours if you stop for food / gas etc..

Getting out of Atlanta is pretty easy on the I75 as it runs right by the airport. Though I wouldn't really recommend driving that distance straight off a flight with jet lag so maybe consider an overnight stay then get up and go early morning, stopping along the way for breakfast.

It's perfectly driveable, but it is a long way and in my opinion not a very interesting drive if you're just planning to get to Orlando as quickly as you can. However, it's different and I'd probably do it again if I was still in that part of the world and not in a particular hurry.
Old 5 Oct 21, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Long dr when the flight is 1.5/2 hours
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 21, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile

We've done it a couple of times. Flown in on KLM from AMS and landed before 2pm. Picked up car and driven about 90 minutes south which is around Cordele Georgia .

Not that I'd recommend the area or anything. I think if I did it again or was on a later flight I'd pick the Macon area as there might be some nicer motels.

Then we've set off super early - breakfast at a truck stop and driven the rest of the way to South Florida.

Coming back , the first time we'd had a night in Steinhatchee and the second time we drove from Hilton Head to the airport.

The traffic can get backed up both ways on the I75 so you'd need to allow for that. We just happened to be coming back Sunday both times so it wasn't too bad.
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Tweety1
Imagineer

Is the drive awful out of Atlanta airport? We want to go to Covington and then make out way to Hilton Head. I was considering getting a taxi to Covington just to get out of the madness of the airport (or is it not that bad)
TIA