Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 6 Oct 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Charlangela View Post
I'm very sorry that he did that to you.

I think it might be worth spending time to love your own company. You were in a relationship for 10 years. I know that if I was to split up with my husband and go straight into dating, I'd be very needy and probably a bit overbearing to anyone new just because of the familiarity of having someone there all the time.

Also, if a relationship is right, it will work. No needing to keep asking if you can see each other. I've been with my husband since day 1 (literally stayed the night and I'm still here 10 years later) and nothing has ever felt forced.

Be gentle on yourself and take time to learn that you don't need a man to be happy xxxx
I think this was spot on, good advice- you need to take your time to feel more content with life in general, and your own self worth before rushing into anything.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 07:52 AM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Sounds very flaky to me. You are well rid, I know it hurts now but take it from us who are on your side you have had a lucky escape!
I agree and tough as it is it really doesn't matter if there is someone else or not.

It's difficult but stop thinking what if... this guy wasn't where you were in this relationship, be pleased he pulled away now and not in 6 months time.

I know it's difficult but I am also interested in your statement that he was all you wanted in a relationship. In my experience and from others I know 'the one' is often nothing like our ideal, it's sometimes completely opposite from the ideal but somehow the relationship clicks and works.

Take some time out and then maybe stop looking for the perfect one, widen your horizons. From your last few men (that you have discussed here) it seems you have been trying to get men who wont commit to do just that and that's hard!
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
OutbackAddict
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pink_Fairy_Dust View Post
I’m really trying not to blame myself but on Sat he was even saying stuff like oh I don’t mind opening the wine you can finish it when you’re round next, don’t worry we will catch up on some of that series next time, yeah it would be good if you bring some lateral flows round (so had them in if required to prove covid free for somewhere we were going - I have loads from work) so mundane stuff but all just normal as pie that we would be seeing each other again. With the wine flowing I probs was a bit more emotional than usual say when he didn’t want me to sleepover and kept saying oh I’ll get a taxi and refusing a lift (but then I took one of course). I just think maybe I’d still be with him if I’d come across more easygoing and been more ok with the fact we weren’t defined in what we were…. I never said I was bothered but maybe the pushing to stay over thing made him think oh dear she’s too into me for this point. I just think if I’d played it cooler I’d still be seeing him…. I mean all he said was he was seeing someone on his text and really without defining what you are you have to assume that could be case…

Even wondering if seeing someone isn’t even true and just means you’re too full on but then he could have just said that and blocked me in same way he said the other sentence right and you wouldn’t want to make yourself out the bad guy if you aren’t
Again I don't want to be harsh but you're still blaming yourself, it I hadn't said this maybe we would still be together etc etc. This is a guy who had so little respect for you that he was either seeing someone else at the same time or at the very least was actively looking whilst seeing you. It's very hard but if you don't treat yourself with a little more love and respect you're going to keep meeting people that treat you the same way, it's unfair but unfortunately its the way life works, I'm going to shut up and stop preaching now as it's very easy to see what others need to do and less so for yourself but one final thought if his new relationship doesn't work out and he comes back tapping at your door, please please don't take him back as you really are so much better than that even if you find it a little hard to believe at minute. I really hope you find someone who treats you how you deserve to be

Paul
OutbackAddict is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Pink_Fairy_Dust
Very Serious Dibber

I do see what you’re saying but the only thing I’d say in his defence is we never defined we were exclusive and he did say when first saw him he wasn’t sure what he wanted and wasn’t bothered when I had another date potentially lined up (at beginning). I don’t know maybe I’ve been out of dating so long that everyone is casual and seeing a few ppl (and yes sleeping with them). I probs gave the impression to him I wouldn’t be ok with that but I might have for a while as maybe that’s how people judge what/who they want these days….
Pink_Fairy_Dust is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I have to agree with the last couple of posters, you need to perhaps take a little time to be by yourself and find your self confidence and true value. I took years to go this after my separation, and only started dating again this year, but I’m confident enough now that I won’t stand for poor treatment. It’s better to be alone than with the wrong person! I’ve very recently started seeing someone who I’ve totally clicked with and we are both on the same page.
The right guy will come along at the right time for you.

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 09:04 AM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

Just to add to the other comments - he wasn’t the perfect guy for you, he was some guy who could act out the part of the perfect partner for a short time. He then showed his true colours. I’m not saying he’s an awful person but he was at the least hedging his bets with you and the other woman. Is that the behaviour of a perfect partner or a cowardly custard ? I think you need to stop actively looking for a little while. Maybe join a few things that will help you build new friendships. It sounds like you need to learn to be happy as a single person with your own identity, rather than only feeling complete when you are part of a couple. You sound like a lovely partner, but start to appreciate how wonderful you are before you assess whether someone else is worthy of your love.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

I know you say you weren’t exclusive. But I really don’t understand that mentality. If you’re seeing someone, you don’t see anyone else until you’ve ended that relationship in my eyes.

Take some time for yourself properly, it will happen when you least expect it. Mine did. Sounds like you’ve had a very lucky escape x
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyStacey
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m finding it really hard to articulate what i want to say to you, and I don’t want to seem harsh as I mean everything 100% supportively.
So, what I will say instead is KNOW YOUR WORTH!
From what you’ve said about your “needs” from a boyfriend, you would absolutely not have been okay with him sleeping around and playing the field until he decided whether it was you he wanted or not. Stringing you along. All that is going to do is erode your self confidence even further and most likely make you paranoid - sat at home wondering what he was doing and who he is with.
I repeat, KNOW YOUR WORTH!
You are so much better than that. This is on him, not you.

Please take some time away from dating, learn to love yourself and be happy in your own company. The confidence it will give you will be incredible - I know, I’ve been there! No one else will treat you with respect if you don’t respect yourself.

Edited at 09:13 AM.
DisneyStacey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Fluffypenguin
Imagineer

I’m really trying not to blame myself but on Sat he was even saying stuff like oh I don’t mind opening the wine you can finish it when you’re round next, don’t worry we will catch up on some of that series next time, yeah it would be good if you bring some lateral flows round (so had them in if required to prove covid free for somewhere we were going - I have loads from work) so mundane stuff but all just normal as pie that we would be seeing each other again. With the wine flowing I probs was a bit more emotional than usual say when he didn’t want me to sleepover and kept saying oh I’ll get a taxi and refusing a lift (but then I took one of course). I just think maybe I’d still be with him if I’d come across more easygoing and been more ok with the fact we weren’t defined in what we were…. I never said I was bothered but maybe the pushing to stay over thing made him think oh dear she’s too into me for this point. I just think if I’d played it cooler I’d still be seeing him…. I mean all he said was he was seeing someone on his text and really without defining what you are you have to assume that could be case…

Even wondering if seeing someone isn’t even true and just means you’re too full on but then he could have just said that and blocked me in same way he said the other sentence right and you wouldn’t want to make yourself out the bad guy if you aren’t
If you played it cool then you’d still be being strung along by a user, honestly I know it’s hard, but try not to sit there and think of things you did wrong. Sometimes relationships don’t work and sometimes you date an idiot and it isn’t your fault!

As others have said, and I want to say this in a nice way, but you need to be happy with yourself first and be happy being single, otherwise you’ll end up being used and being treated like dirt by men that know they’ve got you wrapped around their finger…

The fact that he wouldn’t let you stay over is a huge red flag and the fact that he didn’t want to put a label on the relationship is another one. This isn’t someone who’s afraid of commitment, it’s someone who doesn’t want it and nothing you can do can change that.

Honestly in future if you want commitment, but the person is telling you they don’t want that and they don’t want to rush, then walk away. Relationships should flow, it shouldn’t be that much hard work.
Fluffypenguin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 21, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
americangal
Apprentice Imagineer

I do see what you’re saying but the only thing I’d say in his defence is we never defined we were exclusive and he did say when first saw him he wasn’t sure what he wanted and wasn’t bothered when I had another date potentially lined up (at beginning). I don’t know maybe I’ve been out of dating so long that everyone is casual and seeing a few ppl (and yes sleeping with them). I probs gave the impression to him I wouldn’t be ok with that but I might have for a while as maybe that’s how people judge what/who they want these days….
Sorry but after 2 months I’d expect to be exclusive. Tbh I’d expect this sooner if you were seeing each other regular after a few dates. Like others have said do not blame yourself. This guy is a player and knew what he was doing and had no intention of commitment.
americangal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List