Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 3 Nov 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Chocolate
Earning More Ears

Coronado springs.

So today we changed hotels and its not off to a good start.
Checked in early and knew our room wouldn't be ready that was fine. Lady checking us in was very short with us. No disney magic what so ever. Didn't acknowledge my 7yr old who had a 1st visit badge on his hat. Other cast members were chatting to guests as they checked them in and asked about their visit and were giving out badges.
She told me room wasn't ready that we would be given the next room housekeeping freed up.
We left bags with bell service and had look around hotel and had some lunch and my son had a quick swim. We got an email at 2.55 to say room was ready we were there from 11.20. So we went to room and TV read "welcome valued guest". Yes we ere expecting our name on the TV screen and bags in the room.
Quick shower and change of clothes(we had spare change in back pack) and while I showered and changed my husband went to inquire where our bags were. He was told to wait in room bags would be up in 10 mins. I waited 50 mins no bags. My husband asked 3 different people and all told him different things. In end 1 man told him we didn't have to wait for bags.

Fridge and fan in room are quite noisy especially during the night. Every time we go into the bathroom the extractor fan goes off.

It is a beautiful hotel. Grounds are well maintained and clean.
I just expected because it is a Disney hotel some sparkle not pixie dust for my son. Whether my son had anything to do with check in or not he is still a paying guest in the hotel and if a child says hello to you it's polite to answer. If an adult says hello to a child did you not teach your child to be polite and answer.

Edited at 06:51 PM. Reason: Posted before I finished writing post
Chocolate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Fefster
Excited about Disney

I found Coronado Springs check-in awful. No magic, she drew all over our map in black marker, we were totally lost and had to find our way to Ranchos 7A.
However, once we were in, we absolutely LOVED it.
It's a stunning resort, smells gorgeous, the beds were so comfy and the room so nice and the buses were superb.
We did a tour of all the other resorts and we both agreed that Coronado was hard to beat.
Settle in a bit, see how you feel.
Fefster is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Our check in was just okay, but perhaps I wasn't really expecting any Disney magic at this stage. We were all very tired after the long journey and weren't feeling particularly talkative anyway. Once she realised it was our first visit she disappeared for a minute and came back with 'first visit' badges for us all, which I thought was sweet.

It is a large resort, and even though we were allocated Casitas, we managed to take a couple of wrong turns. But once we found our room, it was all great from that point. The resort is beautiful, the rooms have been renovated to a high standard, the buses were frequent and reliable and the food options were decent. I hope things improve for you and you enjoy your stay as much as we did.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Nov 19, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
macdonald
Imagineer

Oh dear... i never find the checkin staff particularly engaging, but hopefully you are already settling in and will have an amazing time..
macdonald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Our check-in at Coronado was wonderful,when she found out we were English it was all she could talk about,she was lovely ,she even wished us happy anniversary!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 02:49 AM  
Link to this Post
dan_the_man
slightly serious Dibber

dan_the_man's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We'll be staying at the Coronado for the first time next year. Sounds helpful to bare in mind not letting the check-in taint the overall experience.
dan_the_man is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Our check in wasn't great either, it took absolutely ages as there was a long queue and then the lady was really slow. We also missed our first FP as it took us best part of an hour to check in so she gave us two free FP+ (without being prompted).

It didn't taint the rest of the stay though, I am so jealous it's such a beautiful, wonderful place.

Now I've got my magic bands, I am just going to check in online next time and go straight to the room

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Perhaps it's cultural but when I check in, I just want to get checked in, get my room and key and be done with it-especially if there are others waiting in line. I am personally pretty impatient when it comes to standing in line (I have a health issue that makes a long stand difficult). I don't want to wait while the CM says hello to everyone-especially the children who have nothing to do with checking in.

I love CSR and have stayed several times. I remember lots about it but not one check in. That's fine with me.

I know people think of "Disney Magic" but I also hope people understand staff have jobs to do and that conversation with your 7 year old could be at the expense of the others waiting to check in.

ETA: I no longer have young ones but when I did Disney resorts had a place to occupy children while you check in-Disney movies and some crayons and pictures to color.

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Ridersmom View Post
Perhaps it's cultural but when I check in, I just want to get checked in, get my room and key and be done with it-especially if there are others waiting in line. I am personally pretty impatient when it comes to standing in line (I have a health issue that makes a long stand difficult). I don't want to wait while the CM says hello to everyone-especially the children who have nothing to do with checking in.

I love CSR and have stayed several times. I remember lots about it but not one check in. That's fine with me.

I know people think of "Disney Magic" but I also hope people understand staff have jobs to do and that conversation with your 7 year old could be at the expense of the others waiting to check in.

ETA: I no longer have young ones but when I did Disney resorts had a place to occupy children while you check in-Disney movies and some crayons and pictures to color.
I think since WDW visits are so very expensive and involve a great deal of planning, there is an expectation among many people that every aspect of their visit will be abundant with 'disney magic', perhaps with the odd 'sprinkle of pixie dust'... When expectations are so high, it's really easy to feel disappointed when our stay doesn't quite meet them or perhaps when certain aspects of it fall short of what we consider 'disney magic' should be. I think I've been guilty of it myself every now and then during our visit, though thankfully, just for a brief moment or two :-)

I hope (and expect) the OP will have a fantastic stay regardless of their check-in experience. I don't think the OP's expectation for their 7 year old child to be acknowledged was in any way unreasonable. It's the little things that make a difference to guests (especially at this 'entry point'), and whilst much like yourself, I just want to get checked in, it wouldn't have taken much time or effort for a cast member to offer a smile, a kind word or a sticker to a young child at check in.
Lily8 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lily8
Very Serious Dibber

I've given it some more thought (clearly a slow afternoon...) and I think this could well be down to cultural differences and not just expectation of disney magic. My experience of American hospitality (in the broadest sense), having lived in the midwest for some 5 years (now back in the UK), ranges from extremely positive, welcoming and enthusiastic; right through to the other end of the spectrum: cold, robotic and downright stern! I think, and this is just my personal opinion, the spectrum is England isn't quite so wide, i.e. the welcome at check-in here is never going to be superbly enthusiastic, but neither is it likely to be stern or rude, especially when a young child is involved. It's very rare in these circumstances for a young child not be offered a smile or some other 'gesture'.