Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Oct 20, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
sophsters
slightly serious Dibber

Scottish travellers, where do you fly from?

Its so good to be back on here planning our 3rd florida holiday!

So things have changed since the last time we flew. Our first package was with TUI flying from Glasgow to sanford (we live in the highlands) and our second was with BA flying from Inverness to gatwick and then on to MCO. But BA dont fly from inverness to Gatwick anymore only to heathrow which makes for a tricky connection... and it seems that i cant get any flights from glasgow or edinburgh directly?

Has anyone managed a package flying direct from scotland?

Cumbrian Lakes 2014
Glenbrook 2017
sophsters is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Virgin used to fly direct from Glasgow during the summer but I have no idea if they still do. Last time we went to the USA we flew with united from Edinburgh via New York which works out not too bad as you go through customs there. I refuse to go via Heathrow.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Have t flown direct from Glasgow or Edinburgh for years
That may be as most of our trips aren’t peak season
Virgin and TUI only fly direct seasonally although Virgin did fly late into the last year
Looking at your countdown indirect may be your only option
Have you looked at Going via Iceland another option we use although after the debacle
in April that’s not a route I’ll go for a while
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
irnjaw
Very Serious Dibber

We're in Perth, and last year we did Glasgow - Gatwick - Tampa and it's what we'll be doing again next year.

I've never flown direct, and I'm thankful for that as it's a luxury I'm not accustomed to. I'd pick an indirect flight over direct any day because I just can't justify the price difference. Flew into MCO the first time we went before we had kids. Never again. Customs was an absolute nightmare, I couldn't imagine doing it with the kids. So if you rent a car, I'd recommend Tampa. Only thing is you land at half 4 so rush hour is kicking off. But we did fly on a Friday, so maybe this wouldn't be an issue on a weekend flight?
irnjaw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
lossieglen
Very Serious Dibber

In recent years we have taken advantage of the BA flights from Inverness (we live in Moray). Two or three flights normally but it is just so much nicer not to drive 3hrs south to depart from GLA or EDI. Also no air duty tax to pay.
lossieglen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

We do Manchester or Newcastle
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 20, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
frances01
slightly serious Dibber

We usually do Manchester direct but have also went Glasgow Gatwick Orlando, Glasgow Iceland Orlando and Glasgow Dublin Orlando. Next year we have the rebooked, cancelled from this year, which is Glasgow Gatwick Orlando. Fingers crossed they reinstate the Glasgow Gatwick flight. If the don't I will look at the Heathrow Glasgow flight or a Glasgow Gatwick flight with another company. That is providing it goes ahead.
Sept 97 Orlando, Sept 98 Orlando, Sept 00 Orlando, Mar 03 Orlando, Feb 04 DLP, Apr 05 Orlando, Oct 06 Orlando, Oct 07 St Augustine/Orlando, Oct 08 Disney Eastern Caribbean Cruise/Orlando, Oct 09 Orlando, Oct 10 Orlando/Disney Western Caribbean Cruise, Oct 11 Orlando, Oct 13 Orlando. Oct 14 Orlando, Oct 15 Orlando/Keys, Jul 17 Orlando, Feb 22 Orlando, Jul 23 Orlando

Edited at 07:44 PM.
frances01 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:24 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Sometimes Glasgow but more often it's Virgin from Manchester, we get the train down from Edinburgh.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 07:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Disney45
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by sophsters View Post
Its so good to be back on here planning our 3rd florida holiday!

So things have changed since the last time we flew. Our first package was with TUI flying from Glasgow to sanford (we live in the highlands) and our second was with BA flying from Inverness to gatwick and then on to MCO. But BA dont fly from inverness to Gatwick anymore only to heathrow which makes for a tricky connection... and it seems that i cant get any flights from glasgow or edinburgh directly?

Has anyone managed a package flying direct from scotland?
BA are doing connecting flights through Heathrow next year from Inverness or Aberdeen. We fly from either of these airports as we are in the middle we have went with KLM via Amsterdam and also done BA via Dublin Just depends which route is cheaper but next year we are booked Inverness via Heathrow which hopefully BA continue as it saves the dreaded trip across London !
2019 dibb villa @ watersong & Hardrock Hotel
2017 Terra Verde villa & CSR
2016 Sapphire Falls & PORS
2015 All Stars Music
2014 Sol Costa Dorada, Salou
2013 POFQ
Disney45 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
scottishmum
Imagineer

scottishmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 12
We used to fly direct with Thomas Cook from Glasgow and we found them brilliant, even better than Virgin.
We live in Tyneside but my parents live near Glasgow so we travel up there and fly indirect BA glasgow-Gatwick-MCO
Although next year probably Heathrow.