Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Sep 21, 02:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
My daughter now in 6th form dosnt have a uniform, they can wear what they want within reason. The rest of the school has a very strict uniform policy which personally i agree with*

weirdly imo our neighbours on both sides go to a catholic school & even in 6th form they have to wear full uniform... 18 year olds in school uniforms...

* my school didnt have a uniform & in the early 80s the kids who were not in the latest casual gear/trainers etc etc etc got dogs abuse ...
My daughters primary school seemed to have non uniform days every week for one reason or another and I dont think that kids got any abuse for what they wore, even the kid in the Man Utd kit who to be fair probably should have !
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
My daughters primary school seemed to have non uniform days every week for one reason or another and I dont think that kids got any abuse for what they wore, even the kid in the Man Utd kit who to be fair probably should have !
to clarify at primary school (first school as was) in the mid 70s we had no uniform but no one really cared what anyone wore, we all looked a right clip...

but in high school 12+ this was the early 80s and the whole casual/designer label culture was starting.. not having teh right adidas trainers or a pringle jumper etc etc made for want of a better word , poorer , pupils stand out for getting the ### ripped out of them... a standard uniform would have prevented this imo

Edited at 02:44 PM.
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
The positives of uniform for me are:

No competition from kids. You will always get those who can afford the in trend brands and those who can’t. A uniform creates a more equal playing field.

No deciding every day about what to wear.

No children coming into school in inappropriate outfits. I’ve seen it happen so many times on non school uniform day where children come in in micro skirts and crop tops and it’s minus 5 outside. Just why?

Easier to spot when out and about of school grounds.

The tie isn’t an issue for DS as they have clip on ties.

Those are just my initial thoughts on positives for wearing uniform.👍🏻

Edited to add: DS uniform seems really cheap in comparison to some quoted. I got two jumpers, tie plus all his pe kit for sub £100. He doesn’t need a blazer and I buy his shirts and trousers from supermarket or next. How are these uniforms costing £400+ ?

Agree with all of the above.

The reason these uniforms cost so much is because the parents allow it. It is a way to keep families from certain socioeconomic backgrounds out of their school.

It is elitism.

My children's schools insist on uniform, as do all our local schools. The cost of a uniform for primary can be less than £40, secondary £80 excluding shoes and coats. Multiple PE kits is just a nonsense.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 03:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My daughter (16) started college this September. No uniform so we spent a fortune on the “right” outfits and trainers. She lasted a week at college and went back to school sixth form this week with full uniform needed ! Even she is relieved at not having to choose an outfit in the morning and the school uniform cost a fraction of the cost of the new wardrobe.

I too went to school in the early 80’s. I remember it being Pringle and Slazenger then ! Kids like me were called four stripes ( fake Adidas trainers your mum bought on the market !)
Smilesonfaces is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
to clarify at primary school (first school as was) in the mid 70s we had no uniform but no one really cared what anyone wore, we all looked a right clip...

but in high school 12+ this was the early 80s and the whole casual/designer label culture was starting.. not having teh right adidas trainers or a pringle jumper etc etc made for want of a better word , poorer , pupils stand out for getting the ### ripped out of them... a standard uniform would have prevented this imo
I was appointed head of a large primary school in the late 80’s. The school didn’t have a uniform and drew from a very mixed catchment area (large, expensive detached houses to rented terraced). Every day, for quite a number of children, was a fashion show, which highlighted the ‘haves and the have nots’ - unfortunately, this was demonstrated in the attitudes of some children and was the source of some bullying. After consultation, I introduced a simple school uniform, with only one ‘branded’ item - a sweat shirt that we sold at cost price, the rest of the unbranded items were available at range of shops/supermarkets.
I believe the uniform (along with other strategies) contributed to a marked decrease in bullying and engendered a spirit of identity and pride in the school. It was popular with the vast majority of parents, including the ‘haves’.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 04:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Lola
Imagineer

Lola's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DD’s school had uniform up to end of GCSE year then a navy suit and white top, any style for sixth forms.
A good mix for us
Lola is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post

The reason these uniforms cost so much is because the parents allow it. It is a way to keep families from certain socioeconomic backgrounds out of their school.

It is elitism.

My children's schools insist on uniform, as do all our local schools. The cost of a uniform for primary can be less than £40, secondary £80 excluding shoes and coats. Multiple PE kits is just a nonsense.
I agree with you 100%. The primary schools near us in Hertfordshire were mostly pretty reasonable with supermarket grey supplemented with school polo shirts and jumpers.

The secondary schools were out of control. The nearest all had very good reputations and were ridiculously over subscribed. There was a definite air of elitism in all their uniforms. School specific kilts, trousers and blazers plus an absurd amount of school branded PE kit. Did my non sporty daughter really need a skort, football shorts, polo neck, track suit and special socks? All with the school name embroidered on them.

The girls also had V necked white blouses that could only be bought through a special supplier at 4 times the cost of the supermarket ones. I definitely spent over £500 when she started.

Unlike most of the US, here in Osceola there is a school uniform. It is set by the county not the individual schools and is very basic. Any denim, blue or khaki bottoms(not tracksuits) plus polo or collared shirts in white, navy or two school colours. Any shoes, socks and zipped sweatshirt. In reality for most it means jeans and a polo shirt, trainers and whatever sweatshirt they want. They get to actually look like kids/teens instead of like they work on an office.

I always thought the suits in 6th form was quite amusing. They are either going to be going to Uni and wearing whatever they like or working in a job where they majority don't wear suits and ties anymore anyway.
Old 17 Sep 21, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
scruffycharlie
Apprentice Imagineer

We are very lucky my sons high school the uniform is black Jeans, black trainers, school logo polo shirt and sweatshirts and plain black joggers or shorts for p.e.
scruffycharlie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by vowels View Post

It is elitism.

Whilst this may be practised north of the border it’s not the same here.

My daughters blazer for example was £32 the same blazer for the local comp is £60. All of the schools here have the uniform and its supplied either by the school or the schools shop.

To suggest it’s because parents allow it is silly, these are the school rules not the parents rules and all schools in our area are the same.

I don’t think there is any need for uniforms in this day and age.
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Sep 21, 08:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
I always thought the suits in 6th form was quite amusing. They are either going to be going to Uni and wearing whatever they like or working in a job where they majority don't wear suits and ties anymore anyway.
This is the most ridiculous thing ever a sixth former doing say art sport science and physics needing to wear a suit