Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 1 Oct 21, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Team Bricki Just Touched Down in London Town- September 2021 DAY TWO

We were up bright and early again today as Brett needed to be at his first test by 8.45am. While he was getting ready, I headed down to the Cafe Nero round the corner from the hotel to grab a little something for breakfast.

I got a Bacon, Brie and Onion Chutney Panini

Chicken and Bacon Tostati Melt (Chicken, Bacon, Mozarella, Cheddar)

Iced Caramel Latte and Iced Raspberry Lemonade

Brett headed out to sit his Life In The UK Test and rang me later to let me know that he had passed! I was so pleased for him as he had wound himself up for weeks studying and not having a high amount of passes in the practise tests.

He headed down for his English Speaking Exam and passed that too. This one is such a strange one to do if English is your first language

I am so proud of him for getting through these exams- as someone with ADHD and who hated school, he really didnt find it easy studying for the Life In The UK test. There were so many dates, laws, historical events, politics, famous people etc to remember and he did such an amazing job of getting through it and passing!

Time to celebrate i headed down to meet him for a cocktail at Neon Cactus. We sat outside and ordered a Miami Vice (Strawberry Margarita mixed with Pina Colada) for Brett

And Frozen Strawberry Margarita (Don Julio Blanco, Fresh Strawberries, Lime, Strawberry Liquor) for me

It was starting to get a little windy and rainy so we moved inside and ordered another round

Tommys Margarita (Ocho Blanco Tequila, Agave, Lime)

Jalisco Tea Party (Ocho Blanco Lemon, Apricot Brandy, Earl Grey Syrup, Apple Juice, Grapefruit Bitters, Soda)

We still had a while until dinner so we shared a portion of these gigantic Southern Fried Chicken Wings (topped with Garlic Mayo, Chive and Parmesan).

They were soooo delicious, piping hot and messy, just how fried chicken should be

It was the bars 12th Birthday so they very kindly gave us a portion of Cheesecake to share.

This was amazing, a proper rich creamy cheesecake! It was lime and orange flavoured like Margarita

We went for another little walk around the city and wandered back to the hotel via the shopping centre to stock up on toiletries before changing for our early dinner reservation at Vice and Virtue. The Chef Patron here is Jono who was a finalist on the most recent Masterchef- The Professionals. We have eaten here before but we really wanted to try the new signature tasting menu that features dishes from Jono's time on Masterchef.

I had emailed the restaurant earlier in the day to see if they could possibly organise a welcome cocktail for us to toast Bretts success and they made us this lovely Vice My Tai (Pimento Rum, Pink Peppercorn, Burnt Pineapple, Lime)

Our tasting evening started with the Snacks- Cream Cheese and Roe on Sweet Potato Waffle, Marinated Green Olives, White Truffle Popcorn as well as some warm Sourdough bread and Yeast Butter

Course one was Chicken Liver, Black Butter Pork Skin, Burnt Chocolate. This was absolutely delicious, so rich and the combination of the salty crackling, sweet caramel chocolate and strong pate flavours all worked really well together. Bretts favourite course of the night

Next up was Wild Trout, Ponzu, Wasabi, Caviar. We love a Ceviche so this was right up our street. Again more bold contrasting flavours that all paired beautifully together

Ramen Broth, Hens Egg, Seaweed, Corn. This was supposed to be a take on the broth of a Ramen but the corn gave it the flavour and texture of a creamy Chowder. There was a full poached egg in the middle that had been Sous Vide. The seaweed added a real kick of salt. This was my favourite course of the night

Roast Scallops, Curry Sauce, Scraps, Tartare. This was like a posh take on traditional fish and chips- it was delicious, cooked really well but we were really starting to get full now! I am surprised a Yorkshire restaurant called them Scraps not Bits haha

Beef, Bone Marrow, Oyster Custard, Cabbage. This was also beautiful, the beef was also cooked in the Sous Vide bath and it was perfect. Pinky rare colour, soft, tender and juicy. This is such a rich flavourful menu

Onto dessert, we had Toasted Hay Icecream, Rhubarb, Ants. Yes you read that correctly, ants! A famous dish from the Masterchef kitchen! The ants were delicious- they tasted very citrusy, almost lemony! The icecream was very creamy and rich too

The other famous dessert course- Mushroom Tiramisu. This one is for sure an acquired taste! I love mushrooms but i did find the strong smell from the Porcini crumb on top a little offputting. However the flavours inside were amazing- the middle of the dessert is really sweet with a hit of liquor (i think it was Kahlua). Definitely glad we tried it and we can see why it was a hit

Finally the Petit Fours- Sea Salt Caramel Fudge and Turkish Delight

The menu was even better than our first visit- i think the fact that this time around it is his restaurant and he isnt just Head Chef meant he could run the menu exactly as he wanted. For a tasting menu there was so much food though- definitely no chance of leaving here hungry! We were stuffed!

Our cocktail choices were

Third Floor Margarita (Bird's Eye Chili Reposado Tequila, Ginger, Agave, Lime)

Orchard Spritz (Cointreau, Maraschino, Lemon, Bay Leaf, Moet and Chandon Champagne Top)

Yorkshire Rose (Yorkshire Rhubarb and Tea Gin, Apple, White Chocolate)

Perfect Virtue (Rye Vodka, Rojo and Blanco Vermouth, Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil)

La Vie En Vert (Courvoisier V.S, Green Chartreuse, Lemon, Absinthe, Artisan Soda)

And a delicious Espresso Rumtini

We were presented with a signed copy of the menu and had a quick selfie with Chef Jono

We had a table booked after our meal at the Domino Club, which is a jazz bar with live music and a great cocktail menu, located in the Grand Arcade. The front of the club is a working Barbers Shop and you have to go out the back downstairs to enter. You are allocated a table when they open between 8-10pm to enjoy the first part of the show, then the tables are removed and the whole area becomes a dance floor

The jazz band were really great and loved what they do. The music was lovely and chilled out. We were sat on the front table which was a nice touch

We enjoyed a couple of cocktails

Isle of Capreae (Sairen Dark Stone Rum, Pineapple Infused Campari, Coconut, Pineapple Juice, Angostura Bitters)

Russian Spring Punch (Bonomi Wheat Vodka, Raspberry Syrup, Citrus, Blanc de Blanc Wine, Seltzer)

Rose Rouge (Seignette VS Cognac, Lillet Rose Wine, Rose Liquor, Elderflower, Peychauds Bitters, Veuve Cliquot Champagne)

It had been a long day so as our time on our table came to an end, we decided to head back to the hotel just after 10pm. We watched some more Million Dollar Listing ready for the main event tommorow- London baby!

All of Team Bricki's Trip and Food Reports

2019- Our Super Secret Wedding and Honeymoon In Disney World
2022- Brett's 40th Celebrations In Orlando
2023- Lisbon and Sorrento
2024- Athens and Italy Tour
2025- Seville

INSTAGRAM teambricki_yorkshire_foodies
princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Oooh love the cocktails and queso at Neon Cactus, you did well to start there. Your tasting menu looked out of this world, we had the mushroom tiramisu at Yuzu in York for a special tasting night with Jono and despite it looking and sounding strange, I actually really enjoyed it! The Domino Club looks awesome, what a great way to finish your day.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 21, 10:24 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Oooh love the cocktails and queso at Neon Cactus, you did well to start there. Your tasting menu looked out of this world, we had the mushroom tiramisu at Yuzu in York for a special tasting night with Jono and despite it looking and sounding strange, I actually really enjoyed it! The Domino Club looks awesome, what a great way to finish your day.
Neon is a favourite of ours too, the food is amazing and so cheap! We were nervous we werent going to get this specific tasting menu as Jono has been saying for weeks on his Insta that its due to change anyday but luckily we got it as i wanted that Ramen Broth! The mushroom tiramisu doesnt smell good at all but it is lovely when you dig in- he is so good at flavours!

2025- Seville

princessnicki is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 06:38 AM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Well done to Brett ! What an awesome foodilicious day. Fabulous cocktails and what a funky bar. Wow that tasting menu - not sure about the dessert tho - and the little jazz club.. what a brilliant idea. Ah this was a great day.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 21, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WileyCoyote View Post
Well done to Brett ! What an awesome foodilicious day. Fabulous cocktails and what a funky bar. Wow that tasting menu - not sure about the dessert tho - and the little jazz club.. what a brilliant idea. Ah this was a great day.
Thank you he did so well the desserts are for sure an aquired taste, the mushroom one had a very strong smell but it was delicious

2025- Seville

Old 3 Oct 21, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Well done Brett! Another fabulous food day!
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Oct 21, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by margyloveswdw View Post
Well done Brett! Another fabulous food day!
Thank you

2025- Seville

Old 9 Oct 21, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post
WIGGYSMUM
VIP Dibber

WIGGYSMUM's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Many congratulations to Brett 🎉
Amazing food and cocktails again 🍹🍸🍽
WIGGYSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
princessnicki
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by WIGGYSMUM View Post
Many congratulations to Brett 🎉
Amazing food and cocktails again 🍹🍸🍽
Thank you very much, so proud of him

2025- Seville