Old 8 Oct 21, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
A touch of Disney and 2 cruises in a week! Day 3 - Belfast

Tuesday

This morning we had breakfast at 0830 before getting ready to leave the ship for a few hours. I had a fruit plate and toast and I'm sure Rob had an omelette but I don't seem to have taken a photo.

We took the shuttle into Belfast which was $15 each, oddly (with all the enforced distancing on board) we were reasonably well packed into our bus and apparently some people couldn't wear masks despite being reminded that NI still required them.

We walked from the tourist info centre towards the waterfront and the sun even came out for a little bit. We found a shopping centre and took a look in a few stores, although we didn't buy anything.

We walked around for a while longer - Rob used to travel to Belfast regularly for work so wanted to show me a few places.

We decided on Five Guys for lunch (a little taste of the USA) as we don't have one any where near us; it was good but the fries were a bit too salty.

We took the shuttle back to the ship at around 1330, buying a magnet in the shop just before we got back on board - their card machine was broken but luckily we had some cash.

I had earlier today booked us in for the free iFly experience so we had a little rest in our room for a couple of hours before our session. We headed up, checked in and signed the scary waiver before being allocated our sexy outfits and then being shown our safety video.

We headed up to the wind tunnel and were told we could remove our masks for our flight. Rob and I were sat next to each other and I ended up being the 2nd person to fly. Luckily I had no disasters - I touched the wall a couple of times but pushed away and stayed 'afloat'. Next up was Rob and he had a slight issue - he sort of flipped over but Alejandro (our instructor) flipped him back and he carried on.

This was more challenging than I expected and even after only a minute I felt quite tired! Rob says I was far better than he was, and I could see in the photos that Alejandro was only slightly holding on to me which seems to support the theory. The photo package was quite expensive (and the photos weren't great) so we decided not to buy it - but I took a photo of the kiosk just to prove that we actually did it!

After we got out of our sexy outfits we went down to get drinks - I had a surplus of coffees on my card so had to get drinking!

We passed the gallery and had a quick look at the Disney art and saw a nice piece….bargain price of £1600!

We had expected the ship to have left by now but we were still docked, we were due to leave at 1700 according to our planner. We headed back to our room to watch as we left and despite the port being all closed at one point there was some further movement, some people came back and we eventually moved off at around 1900.

Tonight we had dinner in Chops Grille, we had paid $80 each for 2 speciality restaurants and this was our first reservation.

We both had the pork belly to start which was excellent. I then had the filet (well done), Rob had the rib eye (medium well) and we selected mac 'n' cheese and truffle fries as our sides.

The fries were more like chips (much thicker cut than 'fries') and there was minimal truffle, they were also less well cooked than I would have liked (I like crispy chips).

For desserts Rob had warm chocolate cake and I had red velvet cake, which I had been really looking forward to but I think one of our local restaurants (which is a chain) does a better version.

We had a slightly odd table, next to an ice bucket and so were frequently disturbed by bottles being put in / taken out, the service was good and overall we had a good time but I’m not entirely sure it was that much better than the MDR.

In an attempt to get through my allocation of coffees I picked up another on the way back to our room.

Edited at 12:35 PM.
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 21, 10:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Sounds like a lovely day - I’m looking forward to visiting Belfast on my next cruise and actually seeing some of the city!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 21, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Lizzim
Imagineer

Lizzim's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Melanie R View Post
Sounds like a lovely day - I’m looking forward to visiting Belfast on my next cruise and actually seeing some of the city!
It was a good day overall, slightly disappointed with Chops Grille but otherwise good
Lizzim is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List