Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Oct 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post

Solo travel - please help convince me

Hi everyone, I hope I've posted this in the right forum.

Covid and my mental health and lots of other little things has got me re-evaluating my leisure spending and time, and working out what is important to me and what I want.

One thing has been clear. I have a strong desire to see the world, I don't mean like a backpacker, but to take more frequent trips and visit different places, near and far.

My issue is I don't really have anyone to go with. My sister who I normally go to Disney with, and I am cruising with next year, is more reluctant to go away and leave our dog, and my friends have their own families so can't commit either.

I've never been away on my own. To be honest I've never done much on my own! Never eaten in a restaurant, been to the cinema... I can get the train by myself, have done that lots for work, and have also stayed away overnight on my own, again for work. But this feels different and more anxiety inducing.

I wondered if anyone would share there experience of solo travel/holidays or point me in the direction of some good info, books, trip reports etc. I hope in reading I can gain a better sense of what to expect and find the courage to book my first trip!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 04:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Instead of big plans try something small. Do a weekend in Edinburgh or London. Then look at a small beach holiday. If this is "fun" then look to something more further afield, perhaps Vienna, Prague and finally something more exotic such as Japan or China.

In short, stick close by to see if you can handle the "on own two feet" before making plans further afield.

TBH you need the "bug" really. You sort of know if you are enjoying your own company. I have done a fair amount of solo travel - even being married - I prefer my own company sometimes, prefer my own pace, prefer to stick to my own plans. Ive done DLP on my own before now! Im a regular at camping on my own, the kids know when I needed some alone time to go recharge.

It needs to be fun and not stressful.

Edited at 04:52 PM.
kk20 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 05:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

I agree with the above. Start small.

I used to do stuff when I worked away - hotel bars and restaurants alone, gym, sauna etc. Then tried the cinema etc.

Definitely gets easier the more you do.

Good luck and have fun exploring activities and places.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 05:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

I have done the following trips on my own:
Hong Kong (first trip I did on my own)
NYC x 2
Las Vegas
Kuala Lumpar
Bangkok
Montreal x2
Quebec City

All for a week. I did trip reports for the last 4 (in my signature)

I love it - I spend the other 51 weeks of the year being wife/mum/employee. This is just time for me to do whatever I want on my own terms. I don’t have a problem being on my own, don’t mind eating on my own (nobody really notices!) and it just recharges my batteries!

If you want to PM me any questions please do so! I am happy to answer any questions you have!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

As above.. start small.

It sounds like confidence needs building and that a simple to book, foolproof, but reasonably complex vacation within the U.K. might make a good start point.

How about thinking about some places in the U.K. that you have always wanted to visit and planning a route between them… maybe 10 days and 7-8 different accommodations?
If it really wasn’t working for you, you could always then foreshorten it and get home with minimal fuss.

In doing this, you would be finding good hotel deals, researching nearby restaurants and reviews, booking and seeing attractions etc etc.

This may then give you the confidence to try something further afield next time.

If I was absolutely and perfectly honest, this would be more complex than later doing a package vacation to Disney, Orlando, wherever. and hopefully your fears would be firmly behind you.

Good luck!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneySarah
Apprentice Imagineer

DisneySarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I love solo travel! Particularly being able to suit myself, set my own schedule and decide on only things that I want to do.

Although I would agree with others who said ‘start small’, my own experience is when I did a solo 3 week road trip around the south east US (including Disney) back in 2006. The actual travel (planes and renting a car) felt just the same as if I wasn’t solo, as did most tourist attractions. The bit I found most tricky was eating out; it was probably mostly my own perception because I was only 21 at the time, but I tended to eat my main meal at lunch time (for some reason it felt less weird eating out on my own in the middle of the day) and then buy a light meal to take back to my hotel at night and that ensured I wasn’t really out after dark. The only other thing I can think of is that I asked other people to take my pictures or set up my camera on timer, otherwise there were only pictures of places and no people.

Good luck!
Old 11 Oct 21, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

How about group travel ? I went for 6 weeks with Contiki to Australia and New Zealand when I was 20, made friends I'm still in touch with.
Like you, I've a list of places I want to see, DH and DS usually tag along, but they aren't so enthusiastic, I've seen a few trips with ' We are Bamboo ' that I'd love to do solo, they do small groups, majority are single.
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 21, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Most of my travel is solo. I mostly cruise now, just because it’s just a safe and easy way to see loads of places, but since Covid I’ve also done a couple of great road trips with the dog. I have several trip reports too on here.
Prior to all this I have done South Africa, Vietnam, Thailand and lots of Europe city breaks.
Travelling solo is great, travelling with the right partner is great, but forcing it with friends, family, partners can really spoil it
Old 12 Oct 21, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
I’m another fan of solo travel - the first one is the hardest as you are probably more self conscious, but once you realise nobody is watching or judging you as they are all too busy enjoy their own holiday, it gets easier!
I recommend a book/kindle to occupy your hands and mind but each trip gets easier and your confidence grows massively!
I also enjoy solo cruises as there is so much to do - and you will be surprised how many people will chat to you if you are open to it!
I’ve done a few solo trip reports - all the links are in my signature below 😊
I’d say go for it!

Duchess Adventures! - Trip report index
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 21, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Thank you everyone, some great tips and ideas.

So I’m thinking I might do Scotland as my first venture. My dad was Scottish and I spent time there previously but only in Clydebank and Largs. My dad was born in Glasgow and I’ve never been and I hear it’s a great place to visit. I also have always wanted to visit northern Scotland so I was thinking of looking up the train and bus options and travelling around a little (I don’t drive). I figured the scenery will be beautiful and it will be retracing my ancestors steps.

My other option will be York and the East coast, maybe with a trip up to Northumberland. I live on a direct train line to York, and have been before but only for a day here and there for work.

The other thing that appeals is a cruise, being fairly contained and worse case scenario can eat in my room lol!

I managed to sit in Manchester on my own for 20 mins the other day and I survived so that’s a start!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List